Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Too Many Ideas Too Little Time

Default Too Many Ideas Too Little Time

Are you the kind of person who comes up with new cool ideas every day and can't seem to focus on their current project? I guess that's the down side of knowing too much. As a startup entrepreneur, I can't seem to keep my foot planted on the ground. i'm finding it hard to focus on one thing. There are tons of cool ideas i still want to do. (and i implemented few of my old ideas which now just collecting dust). The disappointing thing is, i know i can do them but i don't have the time. Being a professional developer, having the professional knowledge to build web applications and being young (full of testosterones and energy) is i guess bad. You know too much which means you have high expectations from yourself but can't deliver as fast due to due to lack of time and commitment. My dilemma is that, i've a full time web development job which I sort of enjoy. But what i really want to do is work on my ideas and turn them useful products that people are happy to use and form my own company around my inventions. What do you guys do when you have too much on your brain? Its a bad trait for not being able to focus on the task at hand. How would you tackle this problem?
    Last edited by webdev; 05-03-2007 at 08:32 AM.

max Guest

OMG what a great topic! That is sooooooo my problem. You have SBI right? Did you read Ken's PDF on Why People Fail? (I wish he had a link so I could post it here 'cause it's great!) I am the one he described as the "Ready Set... Ready Set... Ready Set...." type. I have all these ideas and I just have trouble saying "GO!" I think it's a fear of failing and I overthink things.

I don't think it's a bad thing, we just have to learn how to focus our energy on one thing and not get distracted by so much. For me it helps to make a list of "To Do" everyday. But one thing I did learn is if you aren't making any money yet, you have to focus on one site at a time. I tried 5 different sites at once and because I really didn't understand how to market and get traffic they all pretty much failed. So instead of focusing 100% in one venture, I ended up devoting 20% to each site. Bad idea when you're learning. I was all over the place.

So now I'm going to do my sbi site and that's it. I spend time reading everything Ken writes and when I narrow my concept I'm going to make an outline of my content. You got to have that before anything otherwise no one will come visit your site.

Like you I have a full time job and really want to do this web thing full time but I've really got to get focused. So yeah I feel your pain!!

What a coincidence you should post this today Webdev. When I woke up I opened my newsletter from Allan Gardyne (one of the few newsletters I subscribe to and enjoy reading) and he had an article about organizing your time and staying focused.

http://www.associateprograms.com/art...ate-tasks-done

This mainly focuses on affiliate marketing but you can still use some of these principles as you're getting started. And by the way, if you guys don't subscribe to his free newsletter you're missing out! I attribute my online success to both him and Ken Evoy.

And Max I couldn't agree more on focusing on one topic/site until you find success. When I first started I tried running 4 sites. They are all resting in peace now. I was all over the place until I decided to just focus on one site. Now I run multiple sites but it's because I have discovered what works based on my trial and error of the past. So mistakes are good because you learn from them!

Webdev, you are NOT alone. I have the same issues as you and I think my issue is what Max said. I don't want to waste my money or time and then end up failing. I don't have a lot of money to invest in a lot of these things so I just want to make sure I do the right thing.
    I'm a newbie... be easy on me.

hey!
    thanks for sharing that link. i subscribed to his newsletter. i've started using the "todo list" google tool he mentioned. pretty handy.
    I read few other articles on that website and looked around. lol its looks like a whole new world that i didn't know existed.
    Hey, have you tried 'niche marketing on crack' by andrew hansen? Allan made a remark about it using that in one of his points. Andrew offers a book on building one page sites on profitable niches and earning 30k+ a year on it? He claims people with no web experience make money usign that? little hard to believe.

Anyhoo, back to the topic. Max, you're right. we need to focus on the task we decided we are going to finish before being distracted by something else. As lisa said, she fiddled with 4 different sites at one time and didn't get anywhere. I guess we're not alone. Everyone goes through this. like you said max, im too gonna solely focus on my SBI niche site (thou my niche is very common but i believe my site is gonna turn out huge success for me). I have two pages so far . max, try out the to-do-list list in google. just login to google homepage, click on add stuff button, search for "todo" and add it to your home page. its a very simple one click tool. you'll love it. (lol i would love to make my own tool like that with more features but then again why make your own tool when there is already one...see again i got distracted...lol...see what im talking about..lol). Max, we can take motivation from each other. I know you just getting started with your SBI site and so am i. Lets layout our "todo" tasks. We can check on each others progress every week. A the end of each week we report our progress. This is entirely volunteer. What do you think?

hey danaP, thanks for jumping into the thraed. Yep! i am not alone i guess You might be lucky dana. As you said you don't have too many things on your mind? correct me if im wrong. You can list out the things you know you want to do and then go through each one of them and pick out the one you would really want to do. Then just focus on that. I know its easier said that done. I too started out like that. In the beginning i has one idea. I got started on it, reached half way and then came up with 10 other sites i wanted to do in the middle of that and got distracted. In the arcticle lisa posted, the author talks about keeping focus by listing out daily things you want to finish and not moving from your computer until you finish them. I just need to practice that.

max Guest

Cool webdev! Yes I'm going to check into it now. And yes when I get back from vacation I am going to focus more on my sbi site. I'm going to have limited internet access for the next month or so but when I get back it's on like donkey kong! I have subscribed to Allan's newsletter too.

Quote Originally Posted by webdev View Post
    Hey, have you tried 'niche marketing on crack' by andrew hansen? Allan made a remark about it using that in one of his points. Andrew offers a book on building one page sites on profitable niches and earning 30k+ a year on it? He claims people with no web experience make money usign that? little hard to believe.
    I just can't get into those one-page sites. I'm sure there are some clever people out there that can make money off them but you really have to know how to choose the right niche and execute properly.

angie Guest

Too many ideas and too little time = the story of my life! I'm going to try the Google thing too.

I actually use the Google tool as well. Read about it in Allan's newsletter too. So far I like it. Gotta love Google!
    Severely Addicted to AdWords

That google "todo list" tool is working out great for me . I know you can only put single line of text it it. But even in that single line you can organize your task as follow. For every task i list i enter its the entry date, task details (in few words), its status (open, in development, finished), the due date and of course priority (low, medium or high). I usually work on one page day on my SBI site. So, for example if im working on a task, it would be like

task 1:May 07 - Finish page blah blah. Status:in development - may 08.

thought i just share it...

webber Guest

Hey Webdev,

OK I'm convinced and I'm going to try this. Signing up today!

Haha, I have the same problem. I'm in the middle of three website projects. :P Ah, well. There is hope. Just /make/ yourself finish your projects, and it will all come together in the end.
    Sincerely,
    Shaun Connell

Check out my new Make Money Online website, and let me know what you think!

sjsuarez Guest

(Hi, I'm new to this forum)

I know the feeling! I take lots and lots of notes. Usually the best way I get around 'losing focus' is keeping track of urls and such that I find interesting and review them LATER after I've completed the task that I originally set out to do.

Quote Originally Posted by sjsuarez View Post
    (Hi, I'm new to this forum)

I know the feeling! I take lots and lots of notes. Usually the best way I get around 'losing focus' is keeping track of urls and such that I find interesting and review them LATER after I've completed the task that I originally set out to do.
    Oh I'm the queen of note taking! LOL
    I'm a newbie... be easy on me.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast