Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WB Design Contest #2 - Win $150!

Ok folks, here's mine .... http://dougcloud.net/planet9design.html

I was going to name my first business web site Planet 9 Design. I just thought this was a cool name for a web design site. I even created special planet symbols to use in the link "globes" and made a crop circle image with one of them (which is the background image I used in the green sliding door panel in the left sidebar). I had a blast creating this whole design, but in the end I never used it and it got stuck on a CD where it's been lounging away until this contest came along.

I know there's suppose to be a nav below the header, but it seemed redundant to have to same links below the header that are already in the header. Check it out and let me know what you think and if it doesn't qualify let me know.

God bless
    Doug Cloud - Freelance Graphic Artist: Design Blog | Personal Folio | D. C. Designs | Follow Me on Twitter

wow man wow .. you win .. Lisa close the contest .. give the man his money lol
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes, so when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
    Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS7 View Post
    Is there a base color you want, Lisa?
    Or I'm free to choose?
    Colors do not matter. It's up to you.

dcloud, that was really nice of you to provide the help, especially in a contest. Thumbs up!

dcloud, I haven't looked at the specs of your site, but please make sure you've followed all the guidelines. I'm not sure this template fits the specs outlined in the description. (width and height of header, nav, etc. That is very important.) The reason I am so picky about that is to deter people from copying existing designs and to create something from scratch. No doubt your design is original and it looks fab but just make sure it fits the specs. I would hate to see people get disqualified after all that hard work.

Also just to be fair to everyone else who plans to enter, I'm not going to be critiquing or checking every design submitted here in advance. So please make sure you follow all design specs (width and height for each section of the template) and if something is not clear just let me know.

I made sure the whole template was 975 pixles, and the header is the right size, as is the footer and sidebar. The only thing that didn't fit in like I said was having the nav below the header, since the header already has the same links. It would seem redundant to put them right below each other so I put the text links down by the footer.

If it doesn't work just let me know. At least I had a blast making it and my old "PLanet 9" design got to actually be a web page
    Doug Cloud - Freelance Graphic Artist: Design Blog | Personal Folio | D. C. Designs | Follow Me on Twitter

As it stands, this design would not qualify. Your header is not the right height. I measured around 142 for the entire height and the rules state 125. Also the height of the nav doesn't seem to be right either.

It's very hard to tell with this design because it's all graphics so everything is sort of merged together and I had to use Photoshop to measure heights of areas. Just to make sure you don't get disqualified it's best to create a design that has a clear cut nav and header (like my mock up) and the widths and heights are defined in the code so there is no question you've met the requirements. Your left nav is fine as it's 180 but the header and nav don't really fit the requirements.

You did fine on the widths but you missed the heights. But again with the header and nav sort of being merged together it's hard to tell.

Just a note to everyone (and I'm glad our conversation came up, dcloud because I need to make this clear.) Please don't make me have to guess or use Photoshop to check to see if you made the width and height requirements. All I should have to do is view source to see the width and height attributes for all areas. Your header, main nav and horizontal nav should be CLEARLY defined in your template. This is your warning.

Oh well, like I said, at least I got to dust off one of my old beloved designs and give it life on the a web. I checked those sizes in my Photoshop document and I was off on the header (i thought it was 155 pixels instead of 125, my mistake - late night, lol). Actually it's easy just to right click on one of the images on the page and "View Image" and then check the size properties. I managed to get the sidebar the right size, but it's not biggie.

I wanted to use this design for this contest and I tried to fiddle things into those sizes you wanted and I guess I missed it. Anyway, so there it is. Take it or leave it. This old boy needs to take a nap

Have fun everyone.

Oh and you can view the source code, too - I put all the sizes in there.

Quote Originally Posted by dcloud View Post
    Oh and you can view the source code, too - I put all the sizes in there.
    Oh OK, yeah I know about right-clicking but assumed it was all one image. My mistake. I checked your source and saw the widths but didn't see all the correct heights. Again, I was looking very quickly.

And I right-clicked your header and the horizontal nav is part of the header (one image) like I suspected so I can't tell if it's the right size. So that was my point in having to use Photoshop to check.

Is there a minimum chance of extending the due date a couple of days, or even a week?
    I'm in exams week, this and the next one, so I'm pretty busy, but I believe I'm designing something.
    If it's not possible, I will try using my time with caution and wisely.

David, I'm going to leave it the same. Now if I don't get the minimum 5 entries then it will be extended, per the rules. Don't worry, there will probably be more contests.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    David, I'm going to leave it the same. Now if I don't get the minimum 5 entries then it will be extended, per the rules. Don't worry, there will probably be more contests.
    All right no problem!

Is this a template that you plan to give away on your site, or will it only be used to be judged in this contest?

In other words, if I have a design that I don't want anyone else to use, but I want to submit it to this contest, is this allowed?
    Mario Kart Central - my Mario Kart site
    ZippyGamer - my gaming site
    "Too blessed to be stressed!"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast