Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WB Design Contest #2 - Win $150!

Default WB Design Contest #2 - Win $150!

Finally! The contest is here and the rules are pretty simple in order to open this up to as many people as possible. You will be judged on the design ONLY. Content and hyperlinks do not matter so feel free to use whatever links and content you want. You can even do a theme (seasonal, Holiday, etc.) if you want.

You must design (from scratch) a one-page, two-column web page that has the following characteristics:

Please read EVERYTHING carefully to avoid disqualification!!!!

1) The entire template must be 975 pixels (It can be aligned on the page anyway you wish - left, centered, right)

2) The header must be 975x125 pixels

3) The nav must be 180 pixels (You can create a left or right nav, but not both)

4) There must be a horizontal nav with hyperlinks
    below the header and it must be 975x40 pixels (they do not have to be working links)

a) See the mock-up GIF below for details. The colors in the mock-up are only for clarification. Use whatever colors you wish. You also do not have to have a border around the entire design.

http://www.websitebabble.com/images/contestTemplate.gif

b) You must use either CSS, Flash, Javascript or HTML for your design. The combination and how many languages you use is up to you. You can use graphics for sections of the design (header, etc.) but you cannot submit an entire image or screenshot for your entry. It must be an actual web page with code.

c) Your template can be for a blog or a website.

d) All winnings will be paid in PayPal ONLY. If you do not have a working PayPal account, please do not enter. I will not be sending checks or wiring money.

e) If there are not at least 5 entries, the contest deadline will either be postponed or canceled.

f) Only ONE entry per member is allowed (mods are welcome to enter too)

To Enter:

Reply to this thread with the link to your one-page template. The template must be uploaded to a page on the web. Please do not attach screenshots.

Remember, as long as you follow the 4 rules above you are free to do what you wish with the content and design. If you want to add RSS buttons, subscription boxes, social networking icons, video, real content (NOT copyrighted of course), that's all up to you.

Starting October 11, 2009, a new thread will be posted in the New Member/ Announcement forum to allow WB members to vote on the designs.

1st Place: $150 (minus any PayPal fees)

All entries must be in my midnight CDT Saturday, October 10, 2009.

Terms and Conditions:

1) By entering this contest you agree to only submit work that is copyrighted by you and not anyone else or any other website. That includes content, images, scripts, etc.

2) I have the right to amend the rules or discontinue the contest for any reason.

3) If you fail to follow any of the guidelines, your entry will be disqualified.

Good luck everyone!!

Default And here I was about to go to bed early tonight at 10:00

And here I was about to go to bed early tonight at 10:00

Now, I my mind is spinning
    Like Bill at Facebook and Twitter.

and now Bill's Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post

Reply to this thread with the link to your one-page template. The template must be uploaded to a page on the web. Please do not attach screenshots.

1) By entering this contest you agree to only submit work that is copyrighted by you and not anyone else or any other website. That includes content, images, scripts, etc.

Lisa, can you please verify these two points for me as I think I understand but I want to make sure.

My understanding:
    1) The template cannot be submitted in a folder, it has to be on a "paid for" website and,
    2) Although it's not ok to submit someone else's work, it is ok to use/manipulate free templates as long as the finished project fits the requirements

Quote Originally Posted by BreLove View Post
    Lisa, can you please verify these two points for me as I think I understand but I want to make sure.

My understanding:
    1) The template cannot be submitted in a folder, it has to be on a "paid for" website and,
    2) Although it's not ok to submit someone else's work, it is ok to use/manipulate free templates as long as the finished project fits the requirements
    1) It can be hosted on a free host as long as your template meets the requirements, but yes you cannot submit a folder. Your entry should be a link to a page with the template

2) No, you cannot use an existing template because it is not fair to those who will be creating from scratch. Not to mention since this is a design contest, it cheapens the whole process if people use existing templates or designs. Also, it wouldn't even feel right paying someone for someone else's work (even if it is just the framework).

Ok, perfect. Thank you for clarifying for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BreLove View Post
    Ok, perfect. Thank you for clarifying for me.
    Can we use a mock up design. Like the "Ipsum Delorum blah blah" stuff for content filler, and can the links be like "link1" "link2" blah blah etc? In other words, does the content and links have to be working or can i just put http://www.mysite.com/#

Thanks lisa.

You sure can. As I stated, the hyperlinks and content do not matter. So feel free to use the "Lorem ipsum" Latin text that many templates use.

What take a crack at this,,, but sadly my work lappy died and wont be back up untill i find a replacement mobo ... pc i'm using now has none of my webdev tools or software... grrrrr
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes, so when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
    Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

Im very tempted to give this a shot!
    Zomex ~ The best web hosting templates for WHMCS (exclusive settings area)
    LiteSpeed cPanel hosting - We have over 120 hosting customers worldwide
    █ Premium menus (mega menu), feature boxes, scripts (EU cookie law script) ~ Code & scripts

This sounds awesome and I have an old template design that would be perfect. Lisa, how do I contact you? I went to your profile page, but I didn't see a contact link.
    Doug Cloud - Freelance Graphic Artist: Design Blog | Personal Folio | D. C. Designs | Follow Me on Twitter

So my understanding is as long as the folders an actual web page, it alright?

Is there a base color you want, Lisa?
    Or I'm free to choose?

Ok, got my mock up done. Now I just need to slice, dice, and code. Aiye, I hate this part, lol.
    Doug Cloud - Freelance Graphic Artist: Design Blog | Personal Folio | D. C. Designs | Follow Me on Twitter

See, this is why I dread coding - image rollovers. Been searching all night for an image rollover code that actually works and nothing. Grrrr.

Ha! Found one - and so far it works in all browsers (at least the ones I have). Here's the link if anyone's interested. This was so easy to do and I didn't have to mess with any Javascript or messy code in the head section. Sweet.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast