Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

View Poll Results: What Kind of Contest Would You Participate In?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Website Design (HTML, CSS, etc.)

19 31.15%
  • Graphic Design

14 22.95%
  • Both

16 26.23%
  • Neither

12 19.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contest Poll

Quote Originally Posted by TweetROFL View Post
    The problem with the site's CSS is that the color scheme is overused and in no way is neutral. It also shows a sad use of photoshop's drop shadow, inner shadow, and bevel and emboss for all of the buttons. Some CSS elements are outdated, like the one on the border of quick reply. It looks like something that was made in 1995. I don't mean to be rude here, Lisa, because I am willing to help with the new design.
    Quite personally... I find the color coding and button apperance quite comfortable and inviting.... What's wrong with it?
    Need computer advice? Got a virus? Stop by and ask! http://www.talk-computer.com
    Want to relax with a story? Come and read, comment, Enjoy! http://stories.davidmbaum.com

The problem with the site's CSS is that the color scheme is overused and in no way is neutral. It also shows a sad use of photoshop's drop shadow, inner shadow, and bevel and emboss for all of the buttons. Some CSS elements are outdated, like the one on the border of quick reply. It looks like something that was made in 1995. I don't mean to be rude here, Lisa, because I am willing to help with the new design.
    I appreciate the feedback, but this is not a contest to redesign this site. It's just going to be a one-page template design contest where people will create them from scratch.

As for the overused color scheme, sad drop shadows, and 1995 buttons, I'm afraid you'll have to gaze at them for a while. vBulletin 4.0 is coming soon and supposedly gives us more "web 2.0" templates and styles. I'm not looking to change anything here anytime soon (at least until vBulletin 4.0 comes out). I didn't think it was that bad personally but I'm no designer.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconGrey View Post
    Quite personally... I find the color coding and button apperance quite comfortable and inviting.... What's wrong with it?
    I agree with that, looks great to me
    www.knowledge-reactor.com || IT & Multimedia tutorials
    cosmo.knowledge-reactor.com || Cosmo's Reviews - computer game reviews & news, fresh and exclusive
    blog.knowledge-reactor.com || My blog

Maybe you didn't mean to be rude but it sure came across that way in your post. Wow, I'm embarrassed for you. This has got to be one of the most disrespectful posts I've seen here in a while. I realize you thought this was a contest to redesign the site but practicing a little restraint might do you some good. Wow. I love this forum design lisa. I'm not sure what Tweet means about the "overused color". I've actually never seen this color scheme on vbulletin. Most are that default blue and you clearly took the color scheme from your own sites.

Anyway, back to the original thread topic. I won't have time to do a contest but had to come in and defend my buddy, Lisa when I saw this in my RSS reader. Incredibly rude indeed. I could never imagine saying such things about an owner's site on their own public forum. And the comments weren't even constructive. They were borderline mean / inappropriate.

It's OK guys, I have pretty thick skin, but I appreciate the support. I happen to like the colors and my 1995 Photoshop work. LOL

Anyway, so if I decided to do a website/css contest it looks like there would be 18 participants based on the poll results thus far (9 for website design and 9 for "both") Now, in terms of time, what do you guys think is a reasonable amount of time for the deadline. Last time I allowed 4 weeks and am leaning toward the same. Is that enough time? Keep in mind, this will only be a one-page design like last time so it won't have to have real content or anything. The templates will be judged on overall design.

I'd say 30 days max. 4 weeks seem to much ... it's just a one page template with no real content just demo text. So my vote is 30 days.
    cosmo.knowledge-reactor.com || Cosmo's Reviews - computer game reviews & news, fresh and exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    I'd say 30 days max. 4 weeks seem to much ... it's just a one page template with no real content just demo text. So my vote is 30 days.
    Thanks for the feedback, but there really are only 2 days difference between 4 weeks and 30 days. So it would essentially be the same thing.

Ups sorry, I meant 21 days or 3 weeks. I hate doing 5 things at the same time, but I'm sure you can relate being a busy woman yourself

Ahhhhh, gotcha.

Yes I can relate. I'm trying to do 4 different things right now and can't remember what the 4th thing is. LOL

Women are supposed to be better at multitasking according to some research or something.
    But yes, 3 weeks sounds good to me. Are you thinking of any specific theme for the website template?

Sorry. Jeez DTB. I am critical. People don't ask for design help when they know their design is great. Wow. I made a bomb go off.
    First: the shadows on the website give a very amateur look. If you've ever seen a design from 1995 you'd know what I am talking about.

Next, the color scheme is not THAT bad. I am not a fan of the color cream, or red, and they do not look very good together. They do not complement each other in the form of the shades she is using. Honestly, I would prefer a cleaner UI and the color scheme being a nice light blue and white, or light gray and white, etc. I think your color scheme is a bit too broad.

My main problem is the buttons. They would look so much better if the inner shadow was off. I do not like the use of font on the buttons because it does not compliment the font of the site. For example, complimentary fonts are ones like Helvetica and Verdana and Myraid Pro.
    RadonHost - Providing Affordable Web Hosting Solutions
    24/7 Technical Support Department | Nightly Backups
    5 Star Rating | Free Migrations (we'll move your site!)
    Starting from $3.95 per month - Click here for coupon code "BABBLER"

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    Women are supposed to be better at multitasking according to some research or something.
    But yes, 3 weeks sounds good to me. Are you thinking of any specific theme for the website template?
    Yeah that's what they say but I've proven otherwise on many occasions. LOL The theme will probably be free-for-all, meaning you can choose any kind of theme/design you want, but I will probably have specific requirements (width of columns, fixed/fluid columns, etc.) to ensure the designs are unique and original (not copied from other sites).

This is only the 2nd contest I've done so I'm open to feedback along the way. That's why I started this thread. So let 'er rip.

People don't ask for design help when they know their design is great.
    I never asked for design help (see above post) but I am always open to feedback (just not this thread since this is not what the thread is for).

That would be awesome!
    RadonHost - Providing Affordable Web Hosting Solutions
    24/7 Technical Support Department | Nightly Backups
    5 Star Rating | Free Migrations (we'll move your site!)
    Starting from $3.95 per month - Click here for coupon code "BABBLER"

Sorry. Jeez DTB. I am critical. People don't ask for design help when they know their design is great. Wow. I made a bomb go off.
    First: the shadows on the website give a very amateur look. If you've ever seen a design from 1995 you'd know what I am talking about.
    Ummm... Lisa already stated that this is not a contest to redesign this site. This site is simple and easy to use and that's all that is needed. She never asked for any help. LOL
    As for the contest (that has nothing to do with this sites design) i would love to enter {if I found the time}. I voted for both, but I would definitely be a newbie.

OK, so the poll numbers are looking good. Not a lot of votes, but it still tells me there would probably be enough entries for another web design contest. If you combine those who said they would enter the web design and both, that is roughly 60%.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast