Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WB Design Contest - Win $150!

Default WB Design Contest - Win $150!

OK guys time for another contest and this time it is web development related! Yaaaay!!! The winners will be decided by votes from the WB members (via a poll).

1st Place: $150*
    2nd Place: $75

You MUST HAVE A VALID PAYPAL ACCOUNT to enter. I will not be paying the winners in any other form except PayPal. So make sure your account is active and valid before submitting your contest entry. No exceptions.
    __________________________________________________ _______

Here are the rules. PLEASE READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY. If you do not follow all the rules you will not be eligible for the prizes.

You must design a one-page website template (not a blog) from scratch** and just to make sure the work is designed by you (and not stolen from another site) there are certain requirements the template design must have.

1. The template header must include a custom LOGO that says Website Babble Design Contest (it cannot be written in text, those words have to be part of the actual LOGO in image form). This logo is not for my personal use or anything. The reason I added this requirement is to make sure the logo is authentic and not stolen from another website.

The logo can be any color or any font you want and feel free to design it any way that you wish. You don't have to use the same font, colors or arrangement that I use on WebsiteBabble.com. Let your imagination run wild.

You are not allowed to use the existing Website Babble logo in any way. If you do you will be disqualified. It should be a custom logo. It can be made by you or you can even use some of the free online graphic generators, but YOU MUST HAVE RIGHTS TO PUBLISH IT on your site.

2. The template should have the following characteristics (see sample at bottom of post)...

• 850 pixels wide (the entire template design should be this exact size) It can be centered or left aligned on the page.

• The design must include a defined header. What that means is that there should be a clear distinction between where the header stops and the content area starts below. See example attachment.

• The entire header area does not need to be a graphic. The logo must be in image form.

• The logo can be positioned anywhere inside the header (centered, left aligned, etc.)

• There are no height requirements for the logo and header. It should just fit within the 850 pixels of the design, of course.

• The template must have 2 columns (that means a left nav and main body area) 2 columns only!

• The left navigation should be 165 pixels wide

• There should be a horizontal navigation right below the header (you can use CSS or HTML) See example.

• Footer is optional

• Background image or color is optional

See attachment below for example (click for larger view). The colors are only for clarity. You are free to choose what colors you want for your design, logo, links, etc.

3. Only ONE submission allowed per member so make it count!

How to Submit Your Entry

You must upload the template (and all graphics) to your own website (it can be a free host) and when you're ready to enter it simply reply to this thread and add a link to the template. yourdomain.com/template.html, for example.

Please use "Contest Entry" as the title when you reply and paste the link to your template design in the body of the message. Please DO NOT create a new thread with your entry. Reply to this thread only.

Additional Notes:

a) You can use CSS, HTML, Flash, javascript (or a combination) to design this template. There are no limitations on design for the template.

b) The navigation links in your template do not have to work and they can say anything. So if you just want to link to fake URLs, yahoo.com or even just underline the text to make it look like a link, that is fine. There are no requirements for how many nav links, what they should look like and what they say.

c) For the content in the Main Content Area, you can just put "fake text". No need to write any real content. Or you can use the filler "Lorem ipsum" content that is used for a lot of templates.

The content and links are not important. There is no length or height requirement for the entire template. You will be judged on the overall design and layout.

All submissions must be submitted by Sunday, March 15***.

After the deadline I will be creating a new thread that will enable the WB members to vote via a poll. I will put the voting poll in the Announcements Forum to open the voting up to people who are not eligible to see this forum. The purpose of that is to allow more votes.

However, new members will not be able to vote. This is to prohibit people from creating fake accounts to vote on their own sites. I will also be monitoring IP addresses for all votes via the Admin panel and will disqualify any member suspected of fraudulent voting.

Moderators are also eligible for the contest.

*$150 and $75 are the winnings minus any PayPal fees
    **By submitting a design template for the contest you confirm that you have full rights to the ENTIRE design you submitted (including all images and logo) and they are not copyrighted by any other individual or organization.
    ***If there are not at least 5 submissions by the deadline then the contest deadline will be extended to allow for more entries
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool idea Lisa, Ill have to get working on it.

Default Contest

Also think it is a great idea. Although I am working on my own design, I think that this gives one a chance to learn more about design. Already started to plan out one for the contest...

Oh good. Glad to see some comments here. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was planning to enter. I may push the deadline back a bit to give people more time.

Default If possible.

For what it is worth, my own response was that this was a pretty good size project for a short time. Even 90 days wouldn't be too long, at least 60, but not every one may have such a high load. I know I write a lot here, but it is five or ten minutes here and there through a day.

For your own planning, with a major project like this you might want to ask for commitments and require a minimum number in advance before continuing.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

LOL... I thought the only response needed was the submission. I am actually almost done.

Alpha7, you are correct....no responses needed but I guess because the contest was so detailed/lengthy I expected questions. But if everything is clear then that's great!!

James, just wondering what you mean by "require a minimum number in advance before continuing?" I did state there is a minimum of one submission per member. Is that what you meant? I do think I will extend the deadline though. Probably won't be 60 though.... maybe 30.

Default Minimum

Just a thought. What I had in mind was that with a significant award and expectation you might have required a minimum of participation, perhaps ten submissions. Then to prevent people from working needlessly to ask people indicate they would plan a submission just to get an idea that there was enough interest, not to require registration.

Just thinking out loud on this. I haven't given it enough thought to come to any conclusions or anything. It is sometimes a hard call determining how to go about these things. And perhaps everyone would have different ideas, too. You probably wouldn't want to change much at this point so this is likely more thinking about the future than the present.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

I am hoping I am not missing anything, but this is a very basic 1 page, 2 column site without real content or working links right? It also only has 3 real parameters; custom logo with Website Babble Design Contest included in the image design. Width of the page and the width of the vertical left nav bar should also be as requested.

The instructions are clear to me, but I was wondering what James meant by significant expectation. When I make such a basic design, I try not to make it hard, I just try to make it look more difficult than it actually was. I thought that 2 weeks was plenty of time. When I do a very basic design for my clients, It usually only takes me about 2 weeks and that includes all custom images.

But in all fairness to you Lisa, you probably should have a minimum of 5 participants. If you only have 1 person submit a design then you would pay for nothing because it really would not be a contest.

Default Minimum Participants..

I agree with the minimum entries. Never thought about it, but a way to CYA, lol! I don't think you would have any problems here gathering entries, but to CYA, a minimum number of entries would be a good idea. (But...if I were the only entry and won the $150 bucks, I wouldn't complain), lol!

As for the deadline, I thought it a bit short also...Some of us are coming out of winter hibernation and into spring, when things pick up. What used to be a busy spring in May has begun in earnest in mid Febuary.

Yes, alpha7 it is a basic one-page site. I am not asking for an entire site with content or working links, it's just the basic framework so I think 30 days should be enough for most people. And I agree with the minimum amount of entries and if the deadline approaches and there aren't enough submissions then I would just extend the deadline until there are enough. But I am going to extend the date.

Yes, this is all a learning experience so we'll see how this goes and adjust for future contests if needed. Thanks everyone for your feedback. It helps me to consider things I didn't think of.... especially things like the minimum # of entries. Although as others have said that probably won't be a problem but it's always good to cover those things just in case.

OK I've moved the deadline back 2 weeks to March 15. I really think that will be enough time for what I'm asking.

(I could be wrong but ya live and learn, right. )

I added a line about extending the contest if there aren't at least 5 submissions. Although looks like we've already got 3 people here that are entering so getting 5 shouldn't be a problem.

I'm up for it so make that 4.

A deadline of March 15th sounds a bit better. Most of us have day jobs/college/school (as well as spending too much time posting to forums) so the extra two weeks takes away a bit of pressure.

Regards

Bob
    PHP Snippets PHP Captcha Code Resizable Html
    "A website with a thousand resources starts with a single page".
    "Don't fight the gator - clear the swamp"

Default Contest

I have been faithfully learning and working on the design for this contest. Sure learning alot about the newer html and CSS than my old html 4 days. Front Page spoiled me, lol!

Anyway it's a great idea and the new deadline give me a chance to recoup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast