Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ideas Please????

I love that idea. It just may work. But of course its not up to me...lol

Quote Originally Posted by alpha7 View Post
    I love that idea. It just may work. But of course its not up to me...lol
    Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by mirage2009 View Post
    Hey Lisa, I was thinking about that, and I have a few Ideas about the flawed system you mentioned...
    to avoid people creating false accounts to vote for themselves, you could count votes of members that have more then 50 posts, or members longer then a month maybe, because anybody would be too lazy to make an account and post 50 new posts just to add one vote to himself.

and about voting on someone else's entry you can say that everybody has to vote either for someone else or you can say each member has to vote 2 votes so if he votes for him/herself there would still be another vote for someone else...
    This one. i thought you guys were mind readers around here.

Thanks, i wasn't thinking

lol

Yeh I really liked this plan as well, but as mentioned by you it's not up to me

Hey Lisa, I was thinking about that, and I have a few Ideas about the flawed system you mentioned...
    to avoid people creating false accounts to vote for themselves, you could count votes of members that have more then 50 posts, or members longer then a month maybe, because anybody would be too lazy to make an account and post 50 new posts just to add one vote to himself.

and about voting on someone else's entry you can say that everybody has to vote either for someone else or you can say each member has to vote 2 votes so if he votes for him/herself there would still be another vote for someone else...
    Very good idea. I can restrict who can vote because I can create usergroups with certain permissions like I did with access to the Contest Forum. As far as the second part, I think making sure people vote twice would be a bit tricky to manage.

Great, thanks everyone, keep em coming!

how about a monthly lottery rewarding active members and posters?

I did something similar on my forum, run be me and my close friends.

Every 5 posts earned you 1 entry into the lottery, and 3 names were randomly selected at the end of the month. each recieving a different prize (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

We even drew it live over Skype!
    It was also recorded and put on youtube, so all members could view it.

It worked great, really built a sense of community.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyspam View Post
    how about a monthly lottery rewarding active members and posters?

I did something similar on my forum, run be me and my close friends.

Every 5 posts earned you 1 entry into the lottery, and 3 names were randomly selected at the end of the month. each recieving a different prize (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

We even drew it live over Skype!
    It was also recorded and put on youtube, so all members could view it.

It worked great, really built a sense of community.
    Interesting. What about flooding? I'm always hesitant to do contests based on number of posts because then you have those people who will flood the forum with posts like "thank you" and "great" just to get their post count up. Did you have issues with that?

come to think of it, we really had no issues with flooding. We had 1 or 2 of the newer members try it. They were promptly warned.

When we announced the contest, we simply stated any excessive and spammy posts instantly disqualify you from the contest.

OK, thanks for the feedback sammyspam. Appreciate it.

you could always spring it up randomly at the end of the month, that would make it 100% fair, nobody would have any idea and post as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyspam View Post
    you could always spring it up randomly at the end of the month, that would make it 100% fair, nobody would have any idea and post as normal.
    I've actually thought of doing that too. (Hint to everyone: it probably won't be this month) LOL

LOL, Lisa if that's the case then you owe me 2 months
    Best Web Design Tips | A free web guide all about website design basics.

LOL, Lisa if that's the case then you owe me 2 months
    Exactly. LOL

I have had drawing giveaways in two of my forums that worked fairly well. I gave away an Ipod Shuffle in my youth forum.

1) I would create a new board in my forum.
    2) Announce that in order to be eligible to win the prize they had to make no less than a 50 word post on the board.
    3) On the deadline date, I throw all of the participants names in a bag and take a video as I am drawing the winners name.
    4) I then post the video on my site of the drawing.
    5) Send an email to the winner.
    6) I also send a bulk email out to all of the participants announcing that a winner has been chosen. I don't give them the name but attach a link in the email to the video page.

I've given away Starbuckes gift cards, T-shirts and an Ipod this way.

Thanks Jordy. As I stated, though, my main goal is to have the contest be based around web development or something related to the theme of this forum. That's where I really need some ideas. In the past the contests have all been trivia-related. I'd really like to do something other than post count. I guess the problem is that if I do anything related to design or development, that automatically leaves a lot of people out because there are so many newbies that come to the forum. So that's my dilemma with ideas.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast