Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: How to make a subdomain in my domain name?

Default How to make a subdomain in my domain name?

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know if anyone could let me know how to make a sub-domain like blog.mydomain.com in my site. I am planning to host a blog in my site with this name. Currently I am using the domain www.mydomain.com/blog for hosting my blog.

Thanks in advance!!

routbisu,

I think it depends on your hosting plan, but for me (hostgator) to create a subdomain, it can be done directly from cPanel. One of the options is "Subdomains".

Sherif
    Need Help?
    We can help you with your website planning, design, and development

Connexins Web Development LLC | Phone: (520) 344-4250

Enjoy today!

Quote Originally Posted by routbisu View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I would like to know if anyone could let me know how to make a sub-domain like blog.mydomain.com in my site. I am planning to host a blog in my site with this name. Currently I am using the domain www.mydomain.com/blog for hosting my blog.

Thanks in advance!!
    Ssmorgan called it... But what is wrong with adding a directory titled blog? I do that for all my sites and it works like a charm...and actually, for one of my sites, the blog is indexed higher up the SERP than it's parent site...so when I see results like that I don't change things...but that's just me... All the best.

Default The way to do it is

You just go into your IIS and create the website. Right click on the new site and go to properties. Click on advanced (on the web site tab) Click on your Ip Address (Could show as Default with TCP Port 80) and click edit. Under host header name type in blog.mydomain.com or what ever you want it to be. After that you need to set your DNS up to point to your site. That should do it.

If your hosting is set as a cpanel.
    Navigate to your section called domains. From there click on the sub domain button.
    You should see a text box that is empty followed by a second one with your main domain name in it. Enter in your sub domain name. then where it says "Document Root" enter in the name of the folder you would like the files to reside in for your domain. ( public_html/your sub domain ) I tend to keep mine the same as the sub domain name. Makes it easier for me as I have about 20. hit the create button and you should be done. However, some host will require you to add a username to the sub domain. In these cases I tend to use a complex name and pass word as I can still reach this with my main account name. This is really only useful if you are setting up a sub domain for another user on your cpanel and this will lock them into just this section.

Default Why subdomains?

I am curious, kelevraco, about your use of subdomains. For some reason I have developed a hesitancy to use them from negative comments I read long ago and don't remember (also at a time when I really didn't know anything!)

Why do you use subdomains, especially in such numbers, and why not additional domains instead?
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

My subdomains are actually set up for a few reasons. I build a lot of websites for clients and I have found it easier to send them to a subdomain then an actual folder. It seems to actually register better in peoples heads when trying to remember where there site is being built at. Another thing I am using them for is once the new cart on my store takes effect the live demos will point to a subdomain for demos of the templates. Other then this there really is no difference in setting up a subdomain over a folder ext. Search engines no longer knock subdomains they way they did at one time.

Default Two questions

Two questions come to mind:

First, if you are using them for clients pages don't you have a problem with them not liking their site (subdomain) name having to include your domain?

Second, if search engines treat the subdomains essentially like domains does this give you an advantage search engine wise (SEO) in that you can use a lot of names for the subdomains that would be taken already as a straight .com? And is that a selling point for you?
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

I actually build them on my domain and then once everything is set I just transfer it to their host. One thing I have learned is most people that come to you for a website don't already have a host and sometimes a domain as well. By setting up their own sub-domain it allows me to get to work on the site immediately while giving clients a place to view the progress. Another reason I do this is I remain in control of the site until it is finished. I started doing this a few years ago after one client thought he could help out and actually crashed the site about 90% of the way through the build. I spent hours rebuilding the database even though the actual site was backed up I had not backed up the DB for a few days.
    To answer the second yes this would give a person an advantage when it comes to this. However, I do not offer this to my clients. But with this being said I may start to offer this to my hosting clients as it really is a good idea.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like an effective approach to your site work and a very appropriate use of subdomains.
    Good Success!

No worries hopefully all of this will help others out as well.