Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: My Own Success Story...After The First Two Failures

Default My Own Success Story...After The First Two Failures

I have been on a 5-year odyssey learning how to build websites, and like many budding "info-preneurs" had more than my share of "starts, stops and start overs" along the way.

My first two websites failed.

The first one failed (the senior site) because in 2008-9 I went link crazy. Everyone said you needed links, so I got links from everywhere...it didn't matter after all, right?

In hindsight, the idea of having a site helping senior citizens linking to an Alaskan fishing hatchery sounds ridiculous, but this is one of the stupid things I did that eventually got that site slapped by Google in one of the first round of Panda updates. And of course, it was just when it was starting to make money too.

So off I went to the second site, which had all-original content (so did the first one too, by the way) and featured everything about my own weight loss transformation.

Here, my problem was that I worked too hard to get relevant links. I just making one comment after another on any blog that would approve it.

Often it was the same comment...time after time...on different blogs.

This site was going well too...until the first Penguin update flushed this site down the toilet.

Obviously, you could imagine how upset I was. I was working hard, learning SBI, WordPress and had acquired a ton of knowledge in these fields, but still had nothing to show for it.

It was around this time I came across 2createawebsite. And it was very refreshing in the sense that all of the information passed what I call "the basic tests" (ie: I have never read Lisa's blog and after reading a recommendation gotten a queasy feeling in my stomach about implementing it on my new site).

So I absorbed the information and decided to start anew as soon as a topic inspired me, but this time life intervened on me.

It was January 9, 2012...and my mother took a massive heart attack. It was touch and go for awhile as I had to first make sure she was getting all the care she needed and then had to navigate the mass of government red tape dealing with Medicaid.

As I did this, I was acquiring a massive amount of knowledge to assist senior citizens and their caregivers find all of the services that are out there to assist them. Even at work, as people knew what I was going through, these same people were looking for advice for how to help their parents.

So now I had my niche. Not only was I becoming an expert in the field but I saw the benefit of the information on my own life as well as on the lives of the people who were asking for my advice.

So in late-March 2012, as things started to calm down a little with Mom and her care, I registered my third website (the one in my signature below).

Over the past two-and-a-half-years, I have done a lot of things differently than in my first two attempts...

1) Write for my readers...NOT GOOGLE. I no longer do any keyword research at all. The only requirement for an article or post is that it covers an area that could benefit seniors and their caregivers.

Case in point. I just finished an article on the "Joint Emergency Evacuation Program" in my area. It is a database where caregivers can register their parents to be picked up by emergency personnel before a natural disaster strikes (think the day before a hurricane is coming) and be in the shelter before the storm hits. It was started after Hurricane Sandy left many seniors stranded (I live on Long Island which got hit hard by the storm).

Now, do a Google keyword search for the term. How many monthly searches did it get? ZERO.

That doesn't matter. It is the type of information that my readers need to know about.

2) Just write content..and make it "pillar". I don't accept crappy articles from guest bloggers or myself. I want to put as much quality into everything I do...no shortcuts.

And no more link building or comment spamming. If I do leave a comment, the idea is to start a relationship with a famous blogger, not get the link.

3) I got out from in front of the computer and into the community. By far the biggest thing I did was to join the Long Island Chapter of the National Aging-In-Place Council, a not-for-profit designed to assist seniors and caregivers.

Through this not-for-profit I have spoken at several seminars, met local politicians and was even interviewed by one for his weekly radio show (the head of the Seniors and Veterans Committee of the Suffolk County Legislature).

tony-rovere-with-steve-stern.jpg

This has added to my presence and influence, and has also furnished me with an amazing amount of content for my site because all I have to do is set a time to interview the speakers and guests
    about their various endeavors (ie: social security planning, in-home physical therapy, etc...) and I am literally never at a loss for content.

And this content doesn't come from the Google keyword finder, it comes from real world experience in my niche. And the best part is that I am making money and making a difference in the community.

4) Expanded operations-I have started to build websites for others as well. Not many but you have to start somewhere. And with my contacts in the NAIPC I am getting more clients than I ever would be posting Craigslist ads.

I am writing this success story for several reasons. One is my personal pride. After 5 years of "one step forward and two steps back" June will be my first month making over $1,000 part-time on my website.

Secondly as a thank you to Lisa for providing the realistic and practical advice that we need to hear. I only wish that I had taken so many of your lessons to heart earlier.
    Last edited by tony.rovere; 06-22-2014 at 06:00 PM.
    Tony Rovere
    Stuff Seniors Need | Facebook |

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

Tony, you are the man! Thanks so much for sharing this and inspiring others. So many nuggets here in your post...

1) Never give up
    2) Every person's journey is different, which is why you can't compare yours with anyone else's
    3) You used the interview to gain more content
    4) Keyword research is helpful sometimes, but it's not always about keywords. Sometimes you have to just write for your audience.

I absolutely love it when you guys start new threads here in this forum. It's inspiring to people here.

Thank you Lisa. I will continue to update this thread to let you know about my ups (and downs) as time goes on.
    Tony Rovere

I really admire your persistence and dedication to making this work. In the past few years I've worked with a lot of beginner webmasters and they always fall into two groups of people.

1. The people that start up a site for money, work hard for 6 months, lose interest, and then say making money online doesn't work or is a scam.

2. The people that often fail their first time, but are able to analyze their mistakes and learn for them to try again and do better in the future.

I'm glad to see you're in the 2nd group. Keep up the great work!
    I have an addiction to starting projects. Therefore, it's not worth listing a site here, because I'll probably be focusing on a different one next week!

I congratulate you on your persistence to overcome the reality of online success. There is a start-up term called: Pivot. A pivot is a “structured course correction designed to test a new fundamental hypothesis about the product, strategy, and engine of growth.

PUK Sportswear
    Let's be great.

Great post, Tony.

It is amazing how circumstances that seem unfortunate at best can redirect your life in a positive direction, isn't it.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

All I can say is 'Wow!'
    But I wish you more success.

There is no luck except where there is discipline | 12BET
    - Irish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Majora View Post

1. The people that start up a site for money, work hard for 6 months, lose interest, and then say making money online doesn't work or is a scam.
    Unfortunately too many people fall in this group and they also show up in my email box quite often. lol

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Great post, Tony.

It is amazing how circumstances that seem unfortunate at best can redirect your life in a positive direction, isn't it.
    I was listening to one of my Brian Tracey audiobooks the other day and there is a section in it I love where he is talking about how adversity often gives way to success as a blessing in disguise. If it wasn't for the situation we perceive as bad luck we wouldn't have the seed which eventually grows into the very thing we were striving for all along. I can totally relate to that and some of my worse moments in life have actually ended up being the best thing that has happened to me.

What's that phrase again? "When God closes a door He opens a window" LOL

On March 6, 2012, I started StuffSeniorsNeed.com to be a resource for caregivers throughout the United States to have access to information they needed in order to better care for their loved ones.

In that time, I have helped people get free hearing aids, free dental care, free cell phones, respite care and a host of other services.

And today, July 12, 2014, I will cross the 100,000th page view on my site.

My thanks to everyone who visits my site, all those who comment on the site and those who have helped me along the way.

Those people include many I have never met, such as Lisa Irby and the incredible tutorials that she has provided to enable me to navigate this "internet thing" that I started.

And others I have met. Here I refer to the members of the Long Island Chapter of the National Aging-In-Place Council, who have helped me to grow this website and my knowledge base to allow me to help even more individuals.

So the first 100,000 page views are in the books...onto the next 100,000!!!

100k.jpg
    Tony Rovere

Congratulations, Tony.

Great site. I love to see people do work like yours, growing out of personal experience and sharing something of real value with others.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou