Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Where to - and how

Default Where to - and how

Hi all,

I'm kinda lost - and I know that is what is my biggest "obstacle'; right now! I don't know which path to follow.
    I am a great fan of Lisa - but here lies the rub:
    1. I was a Game Warden - and managed some of the large parks in SA for many years
    2. I ran lodges in Botswana's Okavango for a few years
    3. I have about 15 years in sales - but mostly of agricultural type products.
    4. I am determined to make money on the net. I spend all day on the net and have even taught myself to build simple Wordpress sites commercially.
    5. I'm competitive.
    6. My wife is bed ridden and we are in a country village where -even if I had wanted to - I wouldn't be able to find a job at my age of 68. Of course its not made easier by the fact that I have to earn an income.

My problem is that I am finding great difficulty in identifying products which I would feel passionate about writing about - I mean really digging into as a business. I could easily write about binoculars and cameras but are those not usually items bought on site by buyers? In other words they want to look at them, feel them and look through them before buying.
    My interests are bird watching, wildlife viewing, photography, computers and wildlife conservation in general, tourism - as in safaris, as well as self help (people like Wayne Dyer come to mind) and alternative medicine. I have had a site on Herbal Medicine up for years and absolutely no movement. Besides 4% comm on a $10.00 bottle of herbs isn't great turnover.

I'm at that darn crossroads that a lot of us get to where all that is holding us back is the what, the method (and a little push).

I really am open to any guidance and I would very much appreciate any input/criticism or advice. I'm not even sure what form the site should take - pages or posts. I thought of writing of some of my experiences as a game ranger - building up a following - and then later starting to promote things like safari clothing and equipment as well as an ebook on planning a safari - all on the same site? Maybe even promoting some of the affiliate travel offers out there?

Really would appreciate any guidance on the best way to approach something like this.

Thanks all.

If you aren't finding high commission products, you could always create your own products. I don't think you should start by looking for products but what topics you're more interested. So if you like wildlife, self-help, etc. I would explore those avenues more. Can you see yourself building up an authority site on these topics? Are there any sites that you currently visit now that you admire? Do you see any gaps or areas you could improve upon?

Quote Originally Posted by kempie View Post
    Hi all,

I'm kinda lost - and I know that is what is my biggest "obstacle'; right now! I don't know which path to follow.
    I am a great fan of Lisa - but here lies the rub:
    1. I was a Game Warden - and managed some of the large parks in SA for many years
    2. I ran lodges in Botswana's Okavango for a few years
    3. I have about 15 years in sales - but mostly of agricultural type products.
    4. I am determined to make money on the net. I spend all day on the net and have even taught myself to build simple Wordpress sites commercially.
    5. I'm competitive.
    6. My wife is bed ridden and we are in a country village where -even if I had wanted to - I wouldn't be able to find a job at my age of 68. Of course its not made easier by the fact that I have to earn an income.

My problem is that I am finding great difficulty in identifying products which I would feel passionate about writing about - I mean really digging into as a business. I could easily write about binoculars and cameras but are those not usually items bought on site by buyers? In other words they want to look at them, feel them and look through them before buying.
    My interests are bird watching, wildlife viewing, photography, computers and wildlife conservation in general, tourism - as in safaris, as well as self help (people like Wayne Dyer come to mind) and alternative medicine. I have had a site on Herbal Medicine up for years and absolutely no movement. Besides 4% comm on a $10.00 bottle of herbs isn't great turnover.

I'm at that darn crossroads that a lot of us get to where all that is holding us back is the what, the method (and a little push).

I really am open to any guidance and I would very much appreciate any input/criticism or advice. I'm not even sure what form the site should take - pages or posts. I thought of writing of some of my experiences as a game ranger - building up a following - and then later starting to promote things like safari clothing and equipment as well as an ebook on planning a safari - all on the same site? Maybe even promoting some of the affiliate travel offers out there?

Really would appreciate any guidance on the best way to approach something like this.

Thanks all.

Cameras and Binoculars sell for quite a bit. You can either build up your blog or make a niche site for it. Lisa already has these covered.

However, you just have to keep going at it. Position yourself as an expert in a very specific niche. For example, Lisa is an expert at teaching people how to create websites and things related to it. I am an expert video game master.

You just have to establish yourself and get viewed as an expert in that field, be it swimming, photography or underwater basket weaving.

It is always tough at first, it always is. Just keep learning and take action and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Default Where to - and how

Quote Originally Posted by Hikapo View Post
    Cameras and Binoculars sell for quite a bit. You can either build up your blog or make a niche site for it. Lisa already has these covered.

However, you just have to keep going at it. Position yourself as an expert in a very specific niche. For example, Lisa is an expert at teaching people how to create websites and things related to it. I am an expert video game master.

You just have to establish yourself and get viewed as an expert in that field, be it swimming, photography or underwater basket weaving.

It is always tough at first, it always is. Just keep learning and take action and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Thanks Hikapo!

The content of your last paragraph leads me to conclude that you are coming to some correct conclusions already:

I thought of writing of some of my experiences as a game ranger - building up a following - and then later starting to promote things like safari clothing and equipment as well as an ebook on planning a safari - all on the same site? Maybe even promoting some of the affiliate travel offers out there?
    You have what would sound like a most interesting experience and background from which to write. Many successful online marketers have stated their view that getting products and the like is secondary to getting enough traffic although obviously some fields lend themselves to better profits than others.

If you build a good following and have an ebook as you suggest you could very likely have a big winner there. And you could follow with additional detailed planning guides for specific locations. There are no doubt many other possibilities as well. Having the subject you can enjoy writing about for years is the key.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Default Where to - and how?

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The content of your last paragraph leads me to conclude that you are coming to some correct conclusions already:

You have what would sound like a most interesting experience and background from which to write. Many successful online marketers have stated their view that getting products and the like is secondary to getting enough traffic although obviously some fields lend themselves to better profits than others.

If you build a good following and have an ebook as you suggest you could very likely have a big winner there. And you could follow with additional detailed planning guides for specific locations. There are no doubt many other possibilities as well. Having the subject you can enjoy writing about for years is the key.
    Thanks James,

I did two posts to Lisa in answer to her, but those just disappeared. would you suggest a page or post format or both? I am using SPress themes.

Brian

Default Where to and How

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    If you aren't finding high commission products, you could always create your own products. I don't think you should start by looking for products but what topics you're more interested. So if you like wildlife, self-help, etc. I would explore those avenues more. Can you see yourself building up an authority site on these topics? Are there any sites that you currently visit now that you admire? Do you see any gaps or areas you could improve upon?
    Hi Lisa, I replied to you twice but they disappeared. I really would appreciate your advice - if you feel strongly about it - as to what Studiopress child theme might work well for this project? I am quite happy that I know a lot about the subject and what products I want to investigate. I am very new to this but I had thought of writing "my story about the bush and legends" in a central column and make it a three column layout - on the right products I promote in that niche and on the left eventually the e-book on planning for safaris. I only use Studiopress themes and had thought of using Lifestyle or Prose. Just a nudge in the right direction would be very much appreciated. I also owned my own Safari Tour business for 11 years.

Many thanks.

Lifestyle and Prose are both excellent and versatile. They are both responsive which is also important. Using the Genesis framework with one of their child themes like these two is a top notch way to go.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

It sounds like you've got a great strategy planned out, and I would like to add you should find a way to use audio and video as well, perhaps by leveraging the power of YouTube.

Would it be possible for you to film wildlife and comment over the top of the footage in post production? That would be some great content right there.

Default Where how and when

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    It sounds like you've got a great strategy planned out, and I would like to add you should find a way to use audio and video as well, perhaps by leveraging the power of YouTube.

Would it be possible for you to film wildlife and comment over the top of the footage in post production? That would be some great content right there.
    Unfortunately I have a chronically ill wife whom I care for and I am 68 years old so my days of the bush are seemingly over :-(

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Lifestyle and Prose are both excellent and versatile. They are both responsive which is also important. Using the Genesis framework with one of their child themes like these two is a top notch way to go.
    Thanks James - I own about 5 SP child themes. The only other question is post or page or a mix of both? Im pretty new at this.
    Brian

Hey Brian,

Think about what makes sense for how your content needs to be found. Most sites should probably use a post/page mixture. So you may have a post section for your "blog/news content" and then you can make use of static pages for the more important content.

Remember there is no right or wrong here, it's about what makes sense logically. I am personally not a fan of only using posts and categories unless your site is going to be strictly for the latest and greatest "news" on whatever topic you choose. If you're going to have tutorial-like content then you want to use static pages in your menu to so you can point people to content that will convert.

As far as the theme, I think you should spend time deciding how you want to lay out your content and THEN look for themes.

The only problem with Prose is that they have not upgraded that theme to HTML5 yet and it still doesn't have some of the features that their newly upgraded themes have. That would be my only caution. I emailed Brian Gardner about this and it sounds like upgrading that is not a priority or they are going to roll it into a new theme. So I would go with Lifestyle or Magazine Pro. But again, it depends on what layout suits you best.

The News theme is actually one of their more popular themes.

Default Where how and when

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Hey Brian,

Think about what makes sense for how your content needs to be found. Most sites should probably use a post/page mixture. So you may have a post section for your "blog/news content" and then you can make use of static pages for the more important content.

Remember there is no right or wrong here, it's about what makes sense logically. I am personally not a fan of only using posts and categories unless your site is going to be strictly for the latest and greatest "news" on whatever topic you choose. If you're going to have tutorial-like content then you want to use static pages in your menu to so you can point people to content that will convert.

As far as the theme, I think you should spend time deciding how you want to lay out your content and THEN look for themes.

The only problem with Prose is that they have not upgraded that theme to HTML5 yet and it still doesn't have some of the features that their newly upgraded themes have. That would be my only caution. I emailed Brian Gardner about this and it sounds like upgrading that is not a priority or they are going to roll it into a new theme. So I would go with Lifestyle or Magazine Pro. But again, it depends on what layout suits you best.

The News theme is actually one of their more popular themes.
    Thanks Lisa!!