Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Help with structured date errors

Default Help with structured date errors

Hey everyone. I have a structured data error that has been reported on my site for months. I'm running a Genesis child theme.

Webmaster Tools is reporting the following structured data error: Error: Missing required field "updated"

There seems to be a lot of talk about this since Google added this tool about 6 months ago. Other people are reporting on issues at this link as well as a host of other places.

I finally ran this by Studio Press and Brad Dalton showed how to create a short code that would fix this problem. It created an issue for me and didn't solve the problem. The issue is that it works as advertised. If you update a post, it gives the new post date on the post itself without changing the original post date in the archives. The problem however is that anytime you go back to a post and need to hit the update button, say for a spelling change, delete an old link or what ever, it gives the new updated post date. That may look fishy or strange to a site visitor who notices all your content was delivered on the same day if you made some a bunch of small changes to a variety of posts for whatever reason.

It also didn't solve the problem. I ran the a live test through Webmaster Tools and it's still returning the same error. I've seen solutions for standard Wordpress themes that have this problem, but they don't pertain to the Genesis child templates.

I've also noticed that it has affected my Author image. It does not show for my pages now when doing a search, but it does for my posts. This may have something to do with STB's Authorship image problem as well.

Is anyone else with a Genesis theme experiencing this problem? If so, did you correct it and how? I was happy with ignoring the issue, but the consensus seems to think that it may affect your rankings somewhat if left to continue.

I've been struggling with this one for a solid two days now. Any help is appreciated.

You have to find the offending lines in the HTML code to either update it or delete it. blogger templates do the same thing .

PUK Sportswear
    Let's be great.

I noticed a lot of my Error: Missing required field "updated" errors went away when I installed the AuthorSure plugin.

From what I gathered it was WordPress' actually lack of an "Updated" tag. What I noticed was that WordPress has "Published" and "Modified" tags in the header. But not an "Updated" tag. AuthorSure put this in for me on all my posts and pages. So the errors went away on a good portion of my site. I still get the Updated error on all my /tags/ taxonomies. Not too concerned with those. Just happy all my posts and pages no longer report any errors.

It doesn't appear to be theme related. I use the default WordPress Twenty Fourteen theme and get this error. So, appears to be the WordPress product in of itself.
    Last edited by STB; 06-10-2014 at 05:03 PM.

You have to find the offending lines in the HTML code to either update it or delete it.
    I'm working on that and so far not having any luck.

I noticed a lot of my Error: Missing required field "updated" errors went away when I installed the AuthorSure plugin.
    I don't want to use a plugin if I can help it. There has to be a way to correct it manually. I've heard about the AuthorSure plugin helping with that, but I also heard that people who used it had image problems with their Google Author status.

A lot of people are having these issues and there doesn't seem to be a clear answer yet from Wordpress or any of the other big theme producers to fix this.

Yea I am guessing WordPress will just have to fix it eventually.

Lisa, are you having any of these issues with your Genesis themes?