How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I could use your input and ideas please

Lightbulb Help! I could use your input and ideas please

Hey everyone!

OK, I'm ready for the humbling experience of a site review. I have a site that I started a while ago that has slowly been growing for me. My biggest issue that I need help with is increasing page views. Here is my site: http://allgaragefloors.com/

A little background - This was my first attempt at creating an Adsense site (or anything having to do with a website). I had joined a program almost 2 years ago called Adsense $100k where I started learning the ins and outs of marketing for Adsense. The goal was to develop your main keyword, support it with 4 or 5 pages that pointed to the main keyword homepage and then write posts that pointed to the pages. A Wordpress Adsense template was provided.

Well right about the time I registered my domain name and started writing articles, the big hit on EMD's came along with the latest Panda update. I soon realized that the Wordpress template I was using was not very professional looking and that I needed to become an authority in my niche.

I switched to the Eleven40 theme by Genesis and started working on writing good quality articles. I'm finally averaging well over 1000 views a day (mostly organic traffic) and my eventual goal is to exceed 3000 views a day or 100k a month. My Adsense earnings have increased every month and I should hit a 4 figure payment for this month for the first time. I'm also earning from Amazon plus one direct advertiser. Affiliate sales in this niche is difficult.

While I get a lot of good comments about the info on the site, I have what I consider a poor average page views number - 1.8 per visit. I'm not the biggest fan of the typical wordpress blog navigation, but not being and expert at this I'm struggling trying to figure out if the low page views are due to poor navigation techniques that I've deployed or people finding what they want and leaving. I know that the more page views I can get, the more I can earn from Adsense and the more direct advertisers I can attract.

The average session duration is over 2 1/2 minutes with the bounce rate at 71%. 2 months ago I had an average bounce rate of 76%, but it dropped to what it is now after I made a couple of small nav changes.

My bounce rate for the homepage is only 18%, so I know people are interested and navigating fine from that standpoint, but my problem is there after. Again, I'm not sure if it's because people are finding what they need from the one post and move on elsewhere or if it's because my navigation is not intuitive enough to look around more. Or maybe the site in general is not what 70% of the people are looking for?

I've thought about moving to the Magazine Pro theme (ugh - contemplating a theme move is not my favorite thing), but I want to see if I can figure out if I do have nav issues or the harsh reality that my site is not what most people are looking for. My returning visitor rate is almost 20%. I don't know if that's good or bad for an informational site.

One of my problems is that because I know how Wordpress works, navigating for me is no big deal. It's harder to look at it from the view of the average visitor however. So if you can take a look for me and give me some feedback and ideas for increasing my page views through better navigation or whatever, I'm all ears!

I think you've done a good job on the site. The topic and content look good, the use of large images is effective and you're already getting some comments.

I think the navigation is fine the way it is. I can't really think of any way you could improve it greatly. I've never paid much attention to the average pageviews per session with my sites, so I don't know if 1.8 is considered low or not. Perhaps another member can comment on that.

One thing I would remove is the unnatural exact anchor texts that you have within your posts. It's not 2010 anymore so they are probably doing you more harm than good.
    I don't check the forum regularly anymore, but we can still chat on Twitter.

Hi Shea!

First off you appear to be doing fantastic congratulations!

I couldn't help but notice, that your top level navigation tabs
    Flooring, Cleaning and repair, info and tips. are linked to #

Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I see an opportunity. Read on.

I also couldn't help but notice, that you don't have a "subscribe box"
    I think you would have an opportunity, writing a page, with those top level navigation, because I'm not sure if you track them or not. But I'm sure you are missing out on engagement by leaving them #

So if you don't have the subscribe box on the side for design reasons I can respect that, and the quality of your website, I don't think it's necessary.

But what if you put three subscrive boxes, embeded in articles linked to those top level navigation?

From there, you can track what someone was looking at when they subscribed, and if ever decide to market to them. You have data telling you, what they (the subscriber) is most likely to respond to.

What do you think?

Do me a favor, In another thread I asked for some good resources, to expand my internet knowledge.

I found a podcast that I really like, it's called askpat.com

look them up. I think you are at the level, where his content would be really relevant to you. And he can shed some light on some refinery tips and topics, that can make the most out of what you have.

One thing I would remove is the unnatural exact anchor texts that you have within your posts. It's not 2010 anymore so they are probably doing you more harm than good.
    Thanks Carlo, I will take a look at that.

I couldn't help but notice, that your top level navigation tabs
    Flooring, Cleaning and repair, info and tips. are linked to #
    Hey Zach, I appreciate your input. I'm a bit confused about the # sign however. It's used in Genesis to create a drop down menu for a particular topic so I'm not sure what you mean that by that statement. Is it not the best practice? Or are you saying to use it to generate a subscription box?

As far as a subscription box, I've really thought about that one. The problem with this niche is that there is almost zero affiliate marketing for this niche. What is available is only small commissions of 4-5% for products sold through retail outlets from Commission Junction. I make more on Amazon. But everyone says to generate a list, though I really don't know what I would do with it at this point in this niche if I did. I suppose just having one may come in handy though if something does become available?

Thanks for the referral to askpat.com I will definitely check it out.

Shea

You have done a great job. You can be proud of your work to date. It has a very professional look and some good content. There isn't much I could say about your design or the like. I don't see anything I would change much.

As for your numbers, the truth is it is very hard to know whether many of them are good or bad. Now my view may not be what others would think, but I don't fret too much about how others may be doing in certain categories or make comparisons because every factor is so different.

For example, if people are finding your site searching for phrases about floors or concrete but not associated with garages they may be totally uninterested in your site and so leave giving you a high bounce rate. Sometimes you can improve these things, but sometimes you are always going to have a higher bounce rate than sites with very unique words involved.

Your goal should be focused on improving your own stats of course, but look for ways to improve each one without comparing or trying to figure whether you are good or bad. It does sound like you are doing well so far.

One thing I did notice is that your images (the ones I looked at anyway) are not linked to affiliates. For example, I was looking at the article on vacuums for the garage and clicked on the picture of some accessories. It was just linked to the image itself in isolation instead of to the item on Amazon or some affiliate like that.
    Good Success!

"If your content doesn’t drive activity or conversations, don’t expect it to drive links." —Tom Schmitz, Search Engine Land

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    Hey Zach, I appreciate your input. I'm a bit confused about the # sign however. It's used in Genesis to create a drop down menu for a particular topic so I'm not sure what you mean that by that statement. Is it not the best practice? Or are you saying to use it to generate a subscription box?
    The # sign isn't what enables the drop-down menu. It is actually possible to change the # sign to a proper URL, and the drop-down will still work. However, it might be the case that your theme has been designed to work that way and you might not have the ability to change it. I don't know.
    I don't check the forum regularly anymore, but we can still chat on Twitter.

One thing I did notice is that your images (the ones I looked at anyway) are not linked to affiliates.
    Great point James, thank you. I hadn't thought of that.

In terms of stats, I really don't have anything to compare to other than my feeling of what is good and what isn't for this niche. I've just assumed that if a site in general has good content that it would compel a reader to explore a bit.

Funny you mentioned this topic of page views per visitor and WP navigation. That's what my next podcast is going to be about next week.

How do most people find your site? In other words, what's the most common keyword or way they come to your site?

James is exactly right. Not to be too redundant but a big part about understanding your page views per visitor and bounce rate is by first looking at the source of your traffic. If 80% of your traffic comes from people searching "garage floor options" and your bounce rate is high and time spent on site is short then that may not not be a good sign. But if you have one particular keyword that just may yield a high bounce rate on any garage floor site, given the nature of the type of keyword search, then that can really skew your bounce rate and time spent on site.

Sometimes certain keywords yield higher bounce rates and low page views. Now that doesn't mean you shouldn't work to improve your site but you have to look at the big picture.

I have a hex color chart on my site that brings in a lot of traffic and that page has a SUPER high bounce rate (90%) because it's a reference page and people just come to get their color code and leave. But because that page gets a good amount of traffic that skews my whole site's bounce rate and time spent on site. So that's why I look at the time spent on page for my MONEY keywords (keywords related to my site) and people who enter my on my homepage. My bounce rate and time spent on site is very good for those phrases.

So make sure you keep that in mind.

Thanks Lisa. My number one landing page is about cleaning garage floors. It's usually ranked 1 or 2 in a google search as is my page on sealers. These two pages bring in 20% of my traffic and have a combined bounce rate of 75%. The garage floor cleaning page is somewhat similar to your example of hex colors, people just want to get the info and go. The other page I can work on.

I think the biggest question though is navigation for the entire site intuitive? Do the menu's or sidebars stand out enough to grab attention? Things like that.

Congrats!

You rank page two in Google New Zealand for the keyword "garage floors"
    Use Yahoo Smush IT! to compress your images for a higher 'Google Page Speed Score' of 56/100 for Mobile devices.

PUK® Sportswear
    Men's Singlets Online

Thanks. Ranking for "garage floors" or "garage flooring" in the U.S. is difficult. Most of the big players like home improvement centers and warehouse clubs rank on the first page here. I elected for "garage flooring options" as a main keyword and so far I'm doing fairly well with that hitting the first page.

Increasing my mobile score is something I'm working on. I'm already using Smush IT as well as W3 Total Cache. I'm now thinking of running Cloudflare in conjunction but I'm not sure if I would benefit greatly from that or not.

Shea

Register the hashtag #garagefloors here for free.

PUK® Sportswear
    Men's Singlets Online

Excellent, thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post

I think the biggest question though is navigation for the entire site intuitive? Do the menu's or sidebars stand out enough to grab attention? Things like that.
    Right and those are things you can test. So for example try moving / adding things for a week or two at a time and test the bounce rate. See what pages people are staying on the longest and move those to the forefront, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast