How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: blog under website or vice versa? can i link the two?

Default blog under website or vice versa? can i link the two?

Hi
    I already have a wordpress blog which deals with various topics.
    since I am publishing a book titled Arjun, I want to make a website dedicated to the book.

As I understand, website = domain, so I need to register a domain name for the website.

My question:
    1. Can I add new website Arjun.com (yet to be made/registered) to existing wordpress blog?
    2. can I have a blog within the website within the website Arjun.com? the hierarchy I want is personal blog at top, with website nestling under it and a book-dedicated blog within the website. Is it too complicated?
    3. should I convert existing wordpress blog to domain before I add website to it?

Wordpress support forum gave many instructions on mapping a domain and sub-domain, but was thoroughly confused.

Basically, I want to preserve exiting blog contents and followers. At the same time, I want a website cum blog dedicated to my novel; but having links back to my existing blog.

Also, I want the book website interactive in terms of content, debates, discussions, book reviews, book cover downloads etc.

You can really do everything under one domain. So I would register the domain and use WordPress. Then for the "blog" portion of your site you can create a category called "Blog". Add that category to your Menu. Now every time you write something for your "blog" you make it a post and assign it to that category. Now every time someone clicks "Blog" they will get your latest blog posts.

No need to have two separate domains. That's the beauty of WordPress you can have static and dynamic content on one site.

I think you may be getting tripped up on the words "website" and "blog" when they are essentially the same thing. A blog is a kind of website where content is posted by date and category. But you can also create static pages and add them to your menu and they can link to other content, including your blog section.

Here's an example. Look at my blog http://blog.2createawebsite.com. The "What's New" tab is my "blog content". So you could label yours "Blog". Notice when you click, you get my latest blog posts. But when you click "My Tools" you get a static page. This is an example of blog and static content on ONE website.

My next podcast is going to be on this very subject because I think a lot of people get confused.

Lisa, do you have any plans to merge your static site into your WordPress site?
    I don't check the forum regularly anymore, but we can still chat on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Lisa, do you have any plans to merge your static site into your WordPress site?
    Yes at some point. (sigh) The idea just makes me tired, though. I have some technical issues that are preventing me right now though. It's a long story not really worth going into here.

So, basically I can purchase a custom domain. Then add pre-existing blog as well as another book-dedicated blog to same domain, right?

Do I lose out on wrodpress support forums if I make a custom domain?

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Yes at some point. (sigh) The idea just makes me tired, though. I have some technical issues that are preventing me right now though. It's a long story not really worth going into here.
    I always wanted to ask you about that. I'm still impressed that you took all the Prose theme CSS and retrofitted it in your static site!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I always wanted to ask you about that. I'm still impressed that you took all the Prose theme CSS and retrofitted it in your static site!
    Yeah that was some task let me tell ya!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I would have been swearing, sulking and losing my mind if I had to do all that!
    I believe I did all the above.