Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Website Design Important?

Default Website Design Important?

I recently changed the colors on my website. I was blown away by the difference it made overnight!

I liked the old design but I decided to add more color. Overnight my bounce rate dropped from 60 percent to 7 percent. Even more astonishing, my alexa was suffering too. Proof that my website wasn't as interesting. I played with the css a little and dabbed around with the color and overnight my bounce rate dropped. A few days later I noticed traffic increase. In less than a week it appears that the websites success has doubled and I even see some of the old users logging into their accounts that had already abandoned the website since the vast changes I implemented.

I'm heavily convinced that the new design is just more attractive and engaging. I didn't use a lot of graphics or overdo the css, but I am greatly convinced that design matters and I made a good call by making the website more attractive. And get this, more people are actually using the website now. So far, traffic increases gradually everyday and I don't have any complaints. I have used the opportunity to get rid of unrelated content and build on the relevancy of the site. I must admit, I am kind of excited about the new potential I am witnessing.

bounce-rate.jpg

As you can see the drop was in one day. That night, the only change I made was the design. Since the change, there has been an increase in log ins, user engagement, Facebook likes and shares, and content that others have added to the website. I'm just so shocked that this one thing I did made so much of a difference. Right now, analytics tells me that my traffic level for the day has surpassed the traffic my site bought in last week! Wow. I feel like I am also being rewarded with more organic traffic than the site has witnessed since the new changes I have made.
    Fashion People Plus Size Women

Stopping a Foreclosure
    You Are Capable, Competent, Creative, Careful. Prove IT!!!

Do you have before and after photos of your website? Your bounce rate improvement is amazing. I'd love to know what it is exactly that you did

I'd love to also hear why you believe your bounce rate improved so much. You mentioned design/color, but what specifically did you do? Also, did you check if any specific page is causing the major improvement for your bounce rate or is it sitewide?

And I wouldn't put too much stock in Alexa. My traffic has increased by 20-25% in the last month yet my Alexa rank got worse. So don't put much stock into it. Traffic matters more.

I learned with the years of experience the old adage "If you design it for yourself, you only have one customer"

Men's Singlets Online
    PUK Sportswear

Interesting, but Lisa has a point. How was your traffic does it increase or decrease?
    I hope you can give more details about and, we would love to see the changes you've made!

There is no luck except where there is discipline | 12BET
    - Irish Proverb

I made a couple small changes to my site quite a while ago. My bounce rate dropped to less than 10% and my page views more than doubled. I thought I was a genius! Well..... turned out that the same day I made some of those changes to my theme, I was also fiddling with my analytics plugin and the analytics connection from my All in One SEO plugin. Analytics was getting duplicate info and skewing the stats. For two weeks I thought I had hit the jackpot only to figure out that I hadn't.

Website design is the FIRST thing that your visitor sees!
    So, it's very important!

Of course, you have to have good content to keep your visitor there, or to tell his friends about your beautyful site!

Apart from changing color and CSS of your website, can you please share in brief what other changes you did to your website so that even I can try with my website as my website traffic is very less.

Quote Originally Posted by AvniShergill View Post
    Apart from changing color and CSS of your website, can you please share in brief what other changes you did to your website so that even I can try with my website as my website traffic is very less.
    Yes. For me the most important thing is organization. This has helped me monstrously with any traffic I have ever achieved. Most blogs are not niched, and this could be blog suicide. Far as the design, I had great colorful theme that looked magnificent. I think it may have been too much. Also, I had css responsive theme. Once I changed it to non responsive, I noticed the huge change. I use css responsive themes for other websites, and the bounce rate is okay. But it didn't mesh too well for this particular website. But when I went to it on Dreamweaver, I noticed that it was harder to nav. I guess because I have a lot going on on the website. Also, people don't realize the effect of linking to other sites. And I don't mean the biggest sites on the net. Link to someone's blog that has a 18 million Alexa. Sure you give them a boost, but more importantly, you give yourself a boost too. Most people don't want to link because they feel like they are helping their competition. This couldn't be further from the truth. You help yourself by helping them. Another thing, is on the social networks you use, make sure you are not of touch with what your "friends" are trending and liking. If they don't like content that is like yours, then they may not like yours either. Find a common ground. You have to appeal to the people you market to. What also works is simply asking friends to like and share your content. Unfortunately, most people have to be told to do those things, or they will ignore it. I hope this helps.

Stopping a Foreclosure

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    I'd love to also hear why you believe your bounce rate improved so much. You mentioned design/color, but what specifically did you do? Also, did you check if any specific page is causing the major improvement for your bounce rate or is it sitewide?

And I wouldn't put too much stock in Alexa. My traffic has increased by 20-25% in the last month yet my Alexa rank got worse. So don't put much stock into it. Traffic matters more.
    I ignore Alexa too. Sure, it looks nice but doesn't give a proper indication of what's going on. I think that's because Alexa depends on the type of traffic you have if you catch my drift. Certain sites, like seo websites tend to do better because of who is on the websites. It's my Google Analytics that has improved so much. I think the reorganization of content and links played the biggest part to my success, which I seem to be able to duplicate very quickly now. In a couple of days I have mastered getting more traffic to some sites that I have had for over 2 years. I was astounded but it's no fluke, because I was able to duplicate my success more than once.

You asked about the pages that have received the traffic. That was the great pitfall. My website used to be completely different. So unfortunately, it gets it's juice from different keywords, making it harder to rank for the sites new content. Still working on that with a new strategy I am using now which I am crossing my fingers about.

Basically for the color and design, I mostly just took away and added less, which seems to be apparently more sometimes, and just let content build the site mostly accept for a few css highlights here and there. I think that also helps with the load time. Unfortunately, my traffic started to hit a standstill recently due to my hosting with Arvixe. So I am seriously considering dedicated server now.

Don't get me wrong, the traffic has improved but the interaction within the website has not improved vastly. But it's all for the better now. I will see about increasing sign ups once I finally have a much needed dedicated server.

Stopping a Foreclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    I made a couple small changes to my site quite a while ago. My bounce rate dropped to less than 10% and my page views more than doubled. I thought I was a genius! Well..... turned out that the same day I made some of those changes to my theme, I was also fiddling with my analytics plugin and the analytics connection from my All in One SEO plugin. Analytics was getting duplicate info and skewing the stats. For two weeks I thought I had hit the jackpot only to figure out that I hadn't.
    Unless my analytics is showing me duplicate information, I don't think that this is the case. The bounce rate could be higher than what I have reported, but I am hoping and believe that Google is too sophisticated to count one visit twice. Hope I am right about that, but other sources seem to point to an increase in traffic also.

Stopping a Foreclosure

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Also, did you check if any specific page is causing the major improvement for your bounce rate or is it sitewide?
    I did a topic on thick women. It trended really well and even trended a bit on other networks. Unfortunately, that was not the keyword I wanted. I'm trying to improve on this now. I received some disappointing comments from people who liked the article and wasn't the comments I wanted. I knew the topic would increase traffic, but I think I learned a little something about search engine algorithm.

Stopping a Foreclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    I am far from Einstein even though I was born at the Einstein Hospital in Philadelphia... LOL Truthfully, I have a few blogs with lower than 10 percent bounce rate. Some are only days old and have been getting pretty good traffic. A lot of them are blogger sites. A red flag would be raised if I got this result on only one blog and the others were not even close. It's not about being a genius though. I think blogging is having good judgement and good common sense. Most blogs don't follow this formula, which is why good blogs can essentially perform poorly. By changing a few things around, you can obtain some really great results. I think I did okay, but I am sure many people on this forum probably have even much better results than me. Many people have been doing this a lot longer than me, so they have much more knowledge about the system than I do. They are more genius than I am. I was just making a point that sometimes the little things can make the biggest difference.

Stopping a Foreclosure