How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: What would you recommend?

Default What would you recommend?

Hello everyone! I hope you are having a great week!

I have a request, if you've been following me. I'm currently exploring ecommerce. I've built a site, with a ton of proucts. I've solved a lot of the technical problems that now enable to learn... what I'm doing.

Truth be told, when it comes to ecommerce, I have no idea how to make it GREAT!

I mean. I can make it good
    -easy to use
    -good looking
    -accept payments
    -fulfill orders

What what seperates my skill from that of a professional, is I have no idea how to make it GREAT!

What would you recommend to essentially a newby, for lack of a better term when it comes to ecommerce?

Please advise,

I take all recomendations very seriously, fyi.

THank you!

I mean, since I have my store functioning, I need to learn what to do next. Ya know?

Basically an ecommerce course, I would prefer free, but if certain people vouje for a paid one. I can look into it.

When you say you want to "make it great", outside of the design what do you mean? Do you have control over the design elements? What platform are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    When you say you want to "make it great", outside of the design what do you mean? Do you have control over the design elements? What platform are you using?
    Well I'm using wordpress+woocommerce+buddypress.

I'm less focused on design now, since well. I'm the only store on the planet (as far as I know) to sell what I sell online. Of course there are billions of websites and the chances are I'm wrong. (there are a few competitors that sell some stuff I sell on ebay, but they hold the inventory, I'm a drop-shipping store. And the only technical challenge I can see the future will be migrating my site to a VPN. If it gets to that point, (I'm almost at that point now) and godaddy is dropping some hints to me that it's time to upgrade.

I forgot to mention, my store is doing a grand opening sale on June 10th. Which is were I will launch the store to my email list.

But possibly only a select few, as if I launch it to everyone and the site fails. I'd look like a real dunce. And damage my brand and reputation.

But I'm US focused, (less paperword).

I'm in the place which could be described as "I don't know, what I don't know"
    I guess you can say, I'm also at the stage, where I'm no longer asking. Ok, are my prices right. does the search work, is it easy to navigate, does it look ok. Does the purchasing part work, eg. shopping cart, paypal etc. (which supprisingly paypal is very popular w/ B2B)

And I'm asking what else do I need to think of?

And I want to expand my expertise as well.
    Last edited by zachariahlogan; 06-03-2014 at 10:34 AM.

I dabbled with commerce stores last year and I played with free open source software called OpenCart, which uses a simple database. I found it tedious and confusing, especially since I had no clue how to hook up merchant accounts to payment processors and so forth.

You seem to have all that working so I guess I will ask the only question I can think of which is "Is the site responsive?"

If I were to use WordPress I would be looking at a premium commerce plugin, but I would not particularly go for PayPal since I've heard too many bad things about them taking the customer's side in the event of a dispute between seller and buyer. I forget what the PayPal alternative is called but someone posted about it recently.

Anyway, my question is, do you have a contingency in place should things go bad with eBay? I know they provide their own SSL as part of their service, whereas the alternative service I mentioned requires you to buy your own SSL. If you are suddenly needing to set this up how easy is it to do?

And I ask because I am genuinely interested and want to know myself! Lol

Hi Darren, this is gonna sound really stupid of me to ask.

But what is a responsive site? I mean, my theme is responsive. or the theme say's it's responsive, and some colors change when I hover my mouse over a link, I use vantage.

But is responsive just an interactive layout?

If things go bad.. w/ebay, I do have an insurance policy which can "make me whole" if let's say the customer decides not to pay and our item has already shipped.

But in my TOS it clearly states, that their payment is a deposit against their purchase (which is 100%) available for refund if SHTF practically.

We do have a process where we transfer out immediately all moneys in the paypal to our regular bank account.
    And I know Amazon is getting in the transactions game, (I've received a phone call from them recently explaining the thing) I said yes, because it's a good idea to have multiple channels to receive payments in your backpocket. If one fails BAM! I have another one.

But for lets say, a million dollar puchase, (which is probablly gonna need a phone call) I just have them transfer it into my account.

But ya know since this is a small company, (legally) I have to operate on my own terms. to protect the company, ya know?
    We can't be "reactive" only "proactive"

Oh! Responsive is mobile, tablet optimized!

(http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011...ve-web-design/)

Then yes. It is.

There is a difference between mobile and responsive, technically. Actually, I used to be loose in the use of the terms as many are until I got corrected a bit here on the forum! A lot of people use the terms interchangeably but to be clear I suppose we should not do that.

Mobile is an older approach in which the site actually feeds out two or three (or whatever) versions of a site based on what device is receiving the feed (sort of like what people do who offer different feeds for different browsers). Besides the fact that there are too many different sizes of devices now, that older approach also creates duplication problems. Responsive is a continuous changing of a page as size varies based on CSS layout methods primarily.

If you are using a responsive theme, then you can see it by just grabbing the side of your window and making it narrower and narrower. Columns and text will fold under as you get smaller until it is narrow enough to be read on your phone.

The primary reason to be aware of the technical difference would be in choosing a theme, in order to be sure and have a responsive one. With most people using smaller devices it is extremely important now.
    Good Success!

"If your content doesn’t drive activity or conversations, don’t expect it to drive links." —Tom Schmitz, Search Engine Land

Thank you James,

So, responsive is bassically the evolution of mobily optimized.

Ok, the store is responsive. actually I changed a setting, and now it doesn't take all the screen. And since I'm really the only person doing this, online anyways, I agree with you 100% simplicity is the way to go. It's got that minimalist yet functional feel which personally I've always liked.