Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Your Thoughts on WordPress Hosting?

Question Your Thoughts on WordPress Hosting?

My renewal date with HostGator is approaching and I was looking at some other places to host my WP site.
    What are the pros & cons of WordPress Hosting? Would you recommend it?
    James M. Fisher, Microsoft Windows MVP

Hey James,

If we're talking about the same thing, it really is no different than regular hosting. A lot of companies are now offering a WordPress hosting option which simply means WordPress is installed as soon as your account is activated so it saves a couple of steps. Is that the kind you mean?

Hi Lisa,
    I was looking at the Go Daddy site here.
    It is a lot less than what I am paying now at HostGator.

Yep that's what I thought you were talking about. It's a fancy way of saying that they install WordPress for you. GoDaddy's WordPress hosting is the exact same as their regular just with the WordPress software installed. It's actually a smart way to brand their hosting in the WP age we're in now.

I like the way Dreamhost handles it (I do not have their "WordPress" branded account, just got the regular account and then did a one click install for WordPress. I have Hostgator as well but like Dreamhost a little better.

I set up for automatic updates and what they do is to email me a couple of weeks (about, I am not sure how many days) before an up date saying when they plan to do it so I can change the option if I want. Then, when done they send me another email saying so with a link for an automatic check and update of my database if needed. I have never had an issue.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Hi James,
    I checked DreamHost out and they want $19.95/mo for hosting a WP account, which they call "DreamPress". That is way more than I am already paying Hostgator. But thanks for the info.

I use the GoDaddy.com WordPress hosting and it has been great. Been on it since January 1st. Do a quick Google search for GoDaddy.com promo codes for additional savings. I did that and hit them when they had a sale. My WordPress hosting through GoDaddy for my first year was $2 a month. That included a free domain name for that year and lots of 50 and 100 credits with Google and Facebook and a couple of others.

I checked DreamHost out and they want $19.95/mo for hosting a WP account, which they call "DreamPress". That is way more than I am already paying Hostgator.
    I absolutely agree on that. However, that program is supposed to provide some hand holding I guess. It incoludes a VPS (virtual private server) and a list of extras like themes, etc., nothing I was impressed with. I kind of ignored it.
    I have the regular hosting which I got for a very low price when an extended offer came along and did the one click install. It is $8.95 now but I pay about half that since I bought a ten year option a while back.

Right now, if you go through some of their Google ads, they are offering one year at $2.95 a month which is not bad. I just bumped into it and here is a link. If you switch around on the site and come back the home page it is not there so you have to go in through the ads or something to get the offer.
    Last edited by James; 06-03-2014 at 06:45 PM.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

I have the same shared hosting package as you James I think, on DreamHost. I didn't go for the one click WP install since I wanted a little more manual control over my .sql options, such as, for instance, changing the database tables prefix to something different (or maybe the one click install does actually let you do that? It was a while ago when I signed up)

I like DreamHosts set up, and I like the control panel they use. It is not cPanel, it is a custom job and it is very easy to use. However I too would like to get another web host since I am hosting a lot of sites with DreamHost and I feel I'm in a eggs-in-one-basket situation. Plus I'd like to play with cPanel a bit because I need to know more about it.

I've been reading about DreamHost VPS options and what they give you is pretty much a blank slate. If I went down the dedicated route I would need the VPS to be managed. I'd def need support if I was using WordPress for a high traffic site.

WordPress individually provide hosting at an affordable cost not greater than HostGator. They provide great uptime and you can consider this option. What about Bluehost? their shared hosting cost us only $4.56/mo which have one click Wordpress install script. If you want a specialized WordPress packages?, then it costs whole lots of money. Their WordPress Hosting starts at $19.99/mo. But I think shared hosting will do job for you.

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsTalk View Post
    Hi James,
    I checked DreamHost out and they want $19.95/mo for hosting a WP account, which they call ". That is way more than I am already paying Hostgator. But thanks for the info.
    At the moment I'm using "cloudpress". It does the job. It's a vps with wordpress and a control panel with vestacp.