Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Podcast Ideas

Default Podcast Ideas

I've been thinking about the podcast medium for a while and how I can use. I'd be thinking about doing something that is none profit but potentially using it as a funnel towards my small business consultancy work.

Recently my friend was made redundant from his day job and I went through the same thing 5 years ago so I have experience with the situation. I know there are a lot of talented, unemployed people looking for help, guidance, direction etc and I feel I could produce audio I content monthly aimed at these people.

I could help people build confidence, move towards their goals, and even build businesses. I am passionate enough about the idea and there seems to be little competition.

I have experienced welfare, government bureaucracy, government workers in welfare offices telling me my business ideas will fail, I've been through thick and thin and it has all been an uphill struggle with endless hurdles. I had no money to invest as such and had to bootstrap everything.

I feel I could do a great podcast dealing with these issues and giving the audience the benefit of my experiences.

All I need is a great mic and a good host. And possibly a coo host. And he is now unemployed so he might be up for being a part of the podcast.

Whadya think? Potential?

Darren I think the fact that you are so motivated to help others with what you've been through always has great potential. I say go for it!

I guess I will. But first I will need a good mic. Seeing as I make music anyway I suppose it will serve a dual purpose, so I will look at buying a good microphone. Might as well start as I mean to go on, take it seriously from the start.

Lisa, although you settled on Libsyn did you look at any other providers?

I think I would settle on the basic 50MB package. I would just need to keep the file size down.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I guess I will. But first I will need a good mic. Seeing as I make music anyway I suppose it will serve a dual purpose, so I will look at buying a good microphone. Might as well start as I mean to go on, take it seriously from the start.

Lisa, although you settled on Libsyn did you look at any other providers?

I think I would settle on the basic 50MB package. I would just need to keep the file size down.
    Not really. So many people recommended Libsyn, I didn't really look anywhere else. I chose the 250mb/month package. Pat Flynn offered the SPI promo code when you sign up, and I used it and the site said it accepted it but it never showed the discount. So that was kind of strange.

Another idea I got was to create private podcasts that I load on to USB flash drives and send to my clients.

I'm pricing up some branded USB drives and I'm looking at a storage capacity that will enable me to load not only graphic design artwork, web design files and WP installations, but also enough space for me to record a 20 minute MP3 talking directly to my clients. I wouldn't even need an amazing mic (headset would do) and there would be no editing as such.

I thought about starting a public podcast for my web deign work but since I already do general videos I don't know if it is worth doing audio as well. I could just save the audio side of things for private correspondence and to save time from having to repeat myself on the phone.

Loads of ideas! It's hard for me to focus sometimes.

Darren, that's actually a good idea. I've never thought of doing a private podcast as part of a product. Now you got me thinking about adding them as bonuses for products. Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

And just because you do video doesn't mean podcasting won't work well for you. I've already had countless people say they prefer to get my info via a podcast. I knew I would get some of that but didn't realize how much.

Remember people have different preferences for how they consume information. While video just makes sense for certain things, you are going to be surprised how many people will welcome the opp to listen to a podcast on their drive to work, in the gym, etc. You could always try it for a few months and see how it works out.

Do you think there is a time in a brand's life cycle when they should either hold off or start creating more marketing materials? I'm thinking about what exactly to put into a podcast about web design and I really keep thinking that I'd be better just doing the videos for now...

I have a pretty small audience too so I don't know if I should wait a while.

Well if most of your content is best suited for video then it may make sense. I guess it depends on what you plan to talk about. Have you checked if there are any popular podcasts dedicated to just design? It would be interesting to see how they are doing.

Yes that's a good call - look at what else is being done firs. I don't want to get overwhelmed though. Spreading yourself too thin is def not good, and I am just one person. I really ought to find a co host or a friend who can work with me to our mutual benefit. I don't mind doing solo stuff but to have an ally who you can bounce off is always helpful, if not for content, at least for presentation.

Yes that's a good call - look at what else is being done firs. I don't want to get overwhelmed though. Spreading yourself too thin is def not good, and I am just one person. I really ought to find a co host or a friend who can work with me to our mutual benefit. I don't mind doing solo stuff but to have an ally who you can bounce off is always helpful, if not for content, at least for presentation.
    Exactly. That's why I am only starting with once a month. I feel like it's something I can meet without stressing over it. Even though weekly is probably better for building a following, it's not worth the stress.

I've been thinking about the podcast medium for a while and how I can use. I'd be thinking about doing something that is none profit but potentially using it as a funnel towards my small business consultancy work.

Recently my friend was made redundant from his day job and I went through the same thing 5 years ago so I have experience with the situation. I know there are a lot of talented, unemployed people looking for help, guidance, direction etc and I feel I could produce audio I content monthly aimed at these people.

I could help people build confidence, move towards their goals, and even build businesses. I am passionate enough about the idea and there seems to be little competition.

I have experienced welfare, government bureaucracy, government workers in welfare offices telling me my business ideas will fail, I've been through thick and thin and it has all been an uphill struggle with endless hurdles. I had no money to invest as such and had to bootstrap everything.

I feel I could do a great podcast dealing with these issues and giving the audience the benefit of my experiences.

All I need is a great mic and a good host. And possibly a coo host. And he is now unemployed so he might be up for being a part of the podcast.

Whadya think? Potential?
    I never thought of myself as a "podcast" listener.

Which is funny, because I usually listen to my regular shows, such as coast to coast am, michael savage, etc.

But I've recently stumbled in the world as a listener. I've just started listening to askpat.com, I think you would host a similar show. I recommend him because he gives away some great resources on how to start your own podcast.

Also, le tme know when you start one. I will give it a good listen.

Interesting Zack, I never considered myself a serious listener either until I stumbled across an internet marketing podcast around 2010. I never thought I would end up producing a podcast myself but I feel it's important to get into this side of content delivery.

It's too late to be an early adopter but I've come to my senses and realised in a few years it's going top become even more important. I really must get on with this, but don't wanna get overwhelmed.

I'll let you know Zack. You might even want to be a contributor actually. Some of what you do might be relevant and I will want to include audio recordings contributed by listeners. You can set this up using Skype voicemail to capture mp3s.

Oh that sounds like fun!

I will probably need to come up with a musical jingle too! This is probably the most fun part. It'll be great to write and produce so something on a guitar or piano and possibly use it.

I'm considering getting a telescopic microphone stand, I think I will need something like that for getting close to the mic when recording music or dialogue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast