Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Need Advice On Which Video Recording Software To Use

Default Need Advice On Which Video Recording Software To Use

Hi All,

I need some advice on certain products to use. I’m not after a plethora of affiliate related advice for the top ten products to use (sick of the inconsistency they give) but need some real experiences of your personal use of such products if you have any.

Basically, I am in the process of writing and collating a lot of training material that will eventually go out on video to Youtube and other related social media. The products are related to extreme sports and come with related technical and safety training in their use.

I basically plan on recording and capturing my laptop screen as I conduct that training and editing it for presentation to customers or potential customers via Youtube. I believe this process is often referred to as to ‘over the shoulder’ video tutorials (if I have that terminology correct).

I am a trainer/couch in my ‘day job’ so creating and delivering the content in person and verbally isn’t an issue but using the medium of video to deliver it is very new for me. I envisage that the recording of on screen images and audio to be two separate tasks initially for me until I get the hang of combining the two at the same time.

So my question is this – what software would best suit a beginner to enable me to do the above and start using Youtube as a marketing funnel?

I will be creating ‘over the shoulder’ video tutorials that range from 2 minutes up to possibly 1hr.
    I will need to be able to edit those videos to overlay clickable links and text so that veiwers can interact with it when on Youtube etc.
    It must be user friendly. (I’m no Steven Spielberg and my customers don’t need any fancy CGI such etc).

Any personal experiences or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I really don’t mind paid or free but the software

Thanks

Blue Skies

To be honest, Blue Skies Windows Move Maker or iMovie (both free with Windows and Macs respectively) can do just fine for beginners. That's what I started with and then as I began learning more about editing I bought more advanced programs. So why not start with the programs already on your computer. Sounds like your videos are going to be simple going forward and you can go on YouTube for tutorials.

As far as overlays you'll have to do that part within YouTube. There's a feature called Clickable annotations that you can use to click to various pages on your site. But that is done in post production when your video is on youtube before you hit the final Publish button.

I'm using camtasia (windows). I also advice to follow a course on udemy.com. For a very low price you will learn all the needed details, tips and trics. After 6 months playing around with camtasia I followed Deep Dive Screencast Training: Camtasia Studio 8 (Windows). Wished I had followed this one from the beginning because it would have saved me a lot of money (After pruchase camtasia I also purchased a course of $400 which was a nice course but not worth the money. And I didn't learn a lot.)

Tip: after register on udemy.com, wait a few weeks before you purchase. Udemy will send you on regular base an e-mail with coupons up to 90% discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Bolhuis View Post
    I'm using camtasia (windows). I also advice to follow a course on udemy.com. For a very low price you will learn all the needed details, tips and trics. After 6 months playing around with camtasia I followed Deep Dive Screencast Training: Camtasia Studio 8 (Windows). Wished I had followed this one from the beginning because it would have saved me a lot of money (After pruchase camtasia I also purchased a course of $400 which was a nice course but not worth the money. And I didn't learn a lot.)

Tip: after register on udemy.com, wait a few weeks before you purchase. Udemy will send you on regular base an e-mail with coupons up to 90% discount.
    Great tip, Jan! I've thought of selling courses on there myself. I've heard good things about them and have been researching.