Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: W3 Total Cache Deleted But Left Unwanted Files..

Default W3 Total Cache Deleted But Left Unwanted Files..

A while ago I had W3 Total Cache installed but deleted it when I realised CloudFlare is already acting as a caching plugin. I've been trying to run some processes for backing up and I think W3 Total Cache left behind some things I don't need in one of my WordPress directories.

When I was using the W3 plugin, I set up a "minify" CSS feature, which puts all your CSS on single lines so your code runs horizontally. It saves load time supposedly, and I think that particular feature of the W3 plugin left behind the following files in the image below:

(Right click and select view image or view full size to see it clearer and in more detail)

In the image above you can see I am in the "cache" directory of WP. I want to know if it safe to empty these files. I want to delete them because you can see there are a couple of files with VERY long file names:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX .css
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX .css.gzip
    I hope it is safe to delete those files because a filename that long cannot be good if you're using a backing up plugin.

Hey Darren, I followed the directions I found here and it worked for me.

Shea

I had the same issue
    dont forget to check if any code was left in .htaccess; some was left in mine and the site had odd issues

Quote Originally Posted by flowers92 View Post
    dont forget to check if any code was left in .htaccess
    Good point. Also Darren, the plugin will have also left some entries in your database, so you might want to delete them.

I was dealing with this very issue today. I don't care how much data it generates when running, obviously that's how caching works, as long as it wipes it upon plugin deletion. It annoys and surprises me how these plugins fail to clean up after themselves.
    I don't check the forum regularly anymore, but we can still chat on Twitter.

I deleted the folder without searching on any thing on the internet. I just assumed that the folder was related to w3 total cache and deleted it nothing changed on my site and it is still working properly.

I had the same issue
    dont forget to check if any code was left in .htaccess; some was left in mine and the site had odd issues
    I was not able to find the .htaccess file when I deleted the plugin so I just skipped the step, could some one tell me where to find the file ?
    Check Out My Blog Where You can Access WordPress Tutorials and Tips.
    Share Links Make Cash Simply Share Links, You earn every time some one clicks on your link.

Quote Originally Posted by alamsher View Post
    I was not able to find the .htaccess file when I deleted the plugin so I just skipped the step, could some one tell me where to find the file ?
    It's in the root of your WordPress installation, but the file may be hidden because its name starts with a dot. Make sure you have selected to show hidden files.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Not all default WordPress installations have a physical .htaccess file that you can see.
    That would be if the permalink structure is set to default. If the permalink structure has been configured there will be an .htaccess file.

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress
    This is what I found in the .htaccess file. I don't think there is anything related to w3 total cache in the file. Am I right ??
    Check Out My Blog Where You can Access WordPress Tutorials and Tips.
    Share Links Make Cash Simply Share Links, You earn every time some one clicks on your link.

Quote Originally Posted by alamsher View Post
    This is what I found in the .htaccess file. I don't think there is anything related to w3 total cache in the file. Am I right ??
    Correct. That is default code that you can leave alone.