Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Creating a Child Theme: Seeing various options; which is correct?

Default Creating a Child Theme: Seeing various options; which is correct?

Hi everyone:

I'm attempting to create a child theme for my WordPress site. WordPress.org has the coding needed but I'm concerned as it has elements I'm afraid may change the styling of my site (areas in red are I'm concerned about):

/*
    Theme Name: Twenty Fourteen Child
    Theme URI: http://example.com/twenty-fourteen-child/
    Description: Twenty Fourteen Child Theme
    Author: John Doe
    Author URI: http://example.com
    Template: twentyfourteen
    Version: 1.0.0
    Tags: light, dark, two-columns, right-sidebar, responsive-layout, accessibility-ready
    Text Domain: twenty-fourteen-child
    */

@import url("../twentyfourteen/style.css");

/* =Theme customization starts here
    -------------------------------------------------------------- */

Watching a few YouTube videos on how to create a child theme and noticing lots of theme do not include all this info. Wondering if there are things that may be deleted but concerned they need may need to be there as this is the format provided my WordPress.

This is what I've done. Is this correct? And are the Tags needed or a threat to the styling of my site? Please advise. Thanks.

/*
    Theme Name: Catch-Evolution Child
    Theme URI: http://mydomain.com/catch-evolution-child/
    Description: Catch Evolution Child Theme
    Author: My First, Last Name
    Author URI: http://mydomain.com
    Template: catch-evolution
    Tags: light, dark, two-columns, right-sidebar, responsive-layout, accessibility-ready
    Text Domain: catch-evolution-child
    */

@import url("../catch-evolution/style.css");

The only thing I've ever added to my child theme in the past was the name, URI, author, template and stylesheet URL.

I created the child theme by doing the following:

/*
    Theme Name: Catch-Evolution Child
    Theme URI: http://simply-fun-games.com/catch-evolution-child/
    Description: Catch Evolution Child Theme
    Author: Melissa Watson
    Author URI: http://simply-fun-games.com
    Template: catch-evolution
    Text Domain: catch-evolution-child
    */

@import url("../catch-evolution/style.css");

Did a Live Preview and the child theme has elements that were removed from the parent:
    Header text
    Demo header image
    All pages included to Horizontal Menu

Why is this? Why isn't review reflecting the changes made to the live site? Do I need to remove the Description, Author URI, Template, Version & Text Domain to correct this?

I haven't used the Live Preview of WP 3.9 yet but I know when I was using Preview functions before with themes, there were caching issues and it never looked right until it was live (not in preview mode). But if this is indeed a live preview I'm not sure why this is happening.

My last few themes have been child themes. I include the following in the CSS file of my child theme: Theme Name, Theme URI, Description, Author, Author URI, Template, Version. I haven't had any issues with using these tags.

In terms of developing a child theme, I recommend you create a child theme on your local machine and not use the Live Preview. On my local machine I use a copy of my blog without any cache plugins so the blog is always updated when I make a change to my theme. Little hassle to make changes.

In terms of your issue, are you saying that elements that were in the parent theme are no longer displayed in the child theme?

In terms of developing a child theme, I recommend you create a child theme on your local machine and not use the Live Preview.
    Not sure what you mean here. I created the child theme in my cPanel and saved it there. Didn't not know it mattered where the file was created in terms of whether I used my own html editor or simply made use od the cPanel's editor. As I said, I'm not sure I understand your comment.

In terms of your issue, are you saying that elements that were in the parent theme are no longer displayed in the child theme?
    My issue is, I created the child theme and opted to preview it in WordPress before activating. When I did the Live Preview my header image displayed as the demo image instead of the image uploaded, the header text was being displayed though I had disabled it and my horizontal menu was showing a tab for all the pages of the site as opposed to the pages added to the WordPress menu.

I'm afraid to activate the child theme for fear it will display these error on the live site but... as Lisa noted above

I haven't used the Live Preview of WP 3.9 yet but I know when I was using Preview functions before with themes, there were caching issues and it never looked right until it was live (not in preview mode).
    Hopefully that's the case but if the Live Preview is displaying what will be visible on the live site - I don't know what's happening or how to correct it.

Do you have Instant WP installed on your computer? You could test it there. That's a live environment even though it's on your computer.

Instant WP is great but users of the software must be reminded it takes a little setting up and straight out of the box it is prone to one or two errors. How do you find it lisa? I've always meant to ask you how you migrate your sites? I assume you do this via phpMyAdmin? That is something I'd be interested to know more about.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Instant WP is great but users of the software must be reminded it takes a little setting up and straight out of the box it is prone to one or two errors. How do you find it lisa? I've always meant to ask you how you migrate your sites? I assume you do this via phpMyAdmin? That is something I'd be interested to know more about.
    I never do a complete migration with the database from InstantWP to the live site. I just do the design part (CSS) in InstantWP and then just upload the entire local theme file via FTP.

Really? I'm surprised you do it that way, so you do all your database stuff live on the server? You can always install your plugins and write your posts offline and then export your database from Instant WP to a .sql file using the export option in phpMyAdmin, then log into your server and import the same .sql file, first dropping the tables from the database on the live server. And there is the tweaking of wp-config too, which contains the database details.

I build sites for myself and for clients this way, it really is the ultimate sandbox method in my opinion but obviously everyone has their preferred work flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Really? I'm surprised you do it that way, so you do all your database stuff live on the server? You can always install your plugins and write your posts offline and then export your database from Instant WP to a .sql file using the export option in phpMyAdmin, then log into your server and import the same .sql file, first dropping the tables from the database on the live server. And there is the tweaking of wp-config too, which contains the database details.

I build sites for myself and for clients this way, it really is the ultimate sandbox method in my opinion but obviously everyone has their preferred work flow.
    I see no reason to. I rarely create sites from scratch for other people. Any consulting/client work that I do for other people is not building websites so I only use InstantWP for theme changes on my site (which is rare) and testing themes and plugins for my own site. So I've never seen a reason to do all that since I'm not doing anything complex usually.

Now if I did more website building client work on a regular basis like you I may do all that database importing, but I use InstantWP more for YouTube video demos/illustrations than anything. So I'm cool with this setup.

Yeah I get ya! WordPress and backups is what makes me nervous though. If something goes wrong with a liver server (it happens when clients start tampering with things they shouldn't) it can all come undone.

I really need to get better with phpMyAdmin. Relying on plugins (at least for very large sites) is not good.