Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Important SEO point explained by Google

Default Important SEO point explained by Google

Inside today's Webmaster Blog from Google is an important point. There are two aspects of it to take note of, one is their direct statement and the other is the indirect implication which is also important.

First, what they say is that sites should not block robots from indexing CSS and Javascript pages as many people do. They know not to put these into search returns, but if the robots don't find them they do not see your data showing "that the pages are optimized for mobile."

Second, what this implicates indirectly (and quite obviously) is that search results do consider and rank our sites based on whether they are responsive or not. This should come as no surprise and it is something we have been discussing here for some time as important because of reader use, but this is the first time I have seen (although they may well have done it) where Google has rather clearly indicated that they are considering this in their ranking.

I am working now on converting my largest site, moving it all into WordPress (Genesis/Prose). It is a lot of work but was important already. This is just another reason to get on with it. Making sure our sites are responsive has already become essential, but I am sure many of us have lots of work to make it happen.

In any case, it is worth a couple of minutes to make sure that our CSS style sheet and Javascript file if we have one are being indexed.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

And site speed is a part of the mobile responsive experience - site speed even has its own category in Analytics. Mobile is a market trend that seems indisputable, I know some people resist the hassle of converting their sites but it is worth it, and not actually very difficult.

I would also add that image size is something we need to take into account for mobile device sites. I have to remember to think about the limited processing power of those devices and make sure when I add images I scale the images before uploading, to keep the file size to a minimum. A large image with small HTML dimensions is still a large image, and this taxes the load time on mobiles.

Think what a poor user experience it is when you have to load up a non responsive site with lots of images. I think all sites will becomer meaner and leaner in their design over the next few years, and code will be minified more like Twitter bootstrap. I think the graphic layout of sites are going to go through a Renaissance with the advent of CSS3. I have seen incredible sites built with CSS3. Being able to do what you can do with CSS3 could spell the end of tiled background gifs and teselatin patterns. That alone would make the site faster.

Mobile is a market trend that seems indisputable, I know some people resist the hassle of converting their sites but it is worth it, and not actually very difficult.
    I agree with everything you say, Darren, and it sounds interesting, except for one thing. I'm not so sure about how difficult the change is for converting a site! I guess it is not so difficult at that, just a lot of work.

I'm working on my largest site with nearly 200 pages I think, and it is quite a chore. The biggest problem is with the links. There are hundreds of them. Since pages are generated on the fly by WordPress the names cannot remain the same (with my .php extension). And the whole navigation system has to be revamped. Also, a lot of my css has to be stripped out because the theme settings replace them.

However, though it will take me quite some time to get it all done, it still worth it because if I don't, I may as well shut down. If I only did what I really enjoy in life I would not have gotten far. Then again I will enjoy having gotten it done, when I have.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Great tips, guys. I know for one I could do better with image optimization so this is a good reminder.

I'll take note of the first one, thanks for the info James!

There is no luck except where there is discipline | 12BET
    - Irish Proverb

Responsive is here since separate mobile crawler. Increasing no. of smartphone users, it is Google's highest priority to serve mobile compatible website so either a independent mobile website or responsive website is the solution. If you have responsive it is necessary to show it to Google through code. Google crawler can' decide it on rendering basis.