Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Beware of wordpress jetpack.

Default Beware of wordpress jetpack.

I think that jetpack modules can impact your SEO because:

• New Modules are switched on automatically at installation
    • It modifies http headers
    • It injects scripts in your webpages even if there is no jetpack modules on your webpage
    • it injects codes in your html
    • the plugin can virtually do anything on your website. New updates can be harmful
    • It slows down your pageload significantly.

For instance, i used the wp.me module & i discovered that jetpack replaced my shortlink tags from mydomain.com/?p=XXX to wp.me/?p=XXX in both html code and http headers. So, it means it indicates to robots that my short-links are part of another domain name (wp.me) which does not sound good.

If you have the jetpack plugin on, and if you use the WP.ME module, go to web-sniffer and take a look at the entry called "link" in http headers and also take a look at <link href="" rel=shortlink>

If you see a wp.me domain, then deactivate the wp.me module in jetpack by clicking on "Learn more" and then deactivate, go to web-sniffer and see the difference.
    Last edited by jlaurier; 05-21-2014 at 03:21 AM.

Thanks Ileane. And thank you jlaurier for the heads up. Good to know because a lot of people use Jetpack!

So what is the problem if shortlink is from wp.me domain?

It slows down your pageload significantly.
    I disagree with this. JetPack has a plugin called Photon that cohosts and caches all your images @ WordPress.com. This can reduce your bandwidth consumption at your hosting provider and speed up page load. I use the majority of the JetPack plugins and my site always ranks 5/5 on Google PageSpeed Insights for both mobile and desktop devices.

It modifies http headers
    So does iThemes WPSecurity, AuthorSure and YOAST.... all great plugins.

It injects scripts in your webpages even if there is no jetpack modules on your webpage
    Can you provide examples? I haven't looked into this. But at the same token. If you aren't using any of the modules, why not just uninstall JetPack entirely?

the plugin can virtually do anything on your website. New updates can be harmful
    Such as? Any plugin update should be tested. iThemes had a ton of update problems recently and they are considered one of the best security plugins for WordPress.

New Modules are switched on automatically at installation
    They have a couple of the modules turned on. But you can easily turn these off and/or uninstall the plugin.

I've never used Jetpack but I have always been hesitant to install it because everyone is always talking about how bloated the plugin is and I try to keep things at a minimum. But as STB said I guess you can always disable what you like/don't like.

Yea I don't use all the components because there are better plugins out there some times.

The only reason I use JetPack is to get the WordPress.com stats in my dashboard. I even turned off the shortlinks - I never use them anyway.

So does iThemes WPSecurity, AuthorSure and YOAST.... all great plugins.
    Are you still using iThemes WP Security? It was pretty embarrassing for them when they made all those big announcements about how great the plugin is going to be, then there was a backlash. I'm thinking after all that hoo-ha iThemes might be one of the safest plugins afterall?

Quote Originally Posted by Ileane View Post
    The only reason I use JetPack is to get the WordPress.com stats in my dashboard. I even turned off the shortlinks - I never use them anyway.
    Right. I have the WP stats too but don't have the full blown Jetpack plugin installed/activated. And I'm tired of them trying to get me to install it. LOL

I use the publicize module, google plus module, and the enhanced distribution everything else including the stupid smile face I have disabled.
    I have not noticed and difference in load times with this on or off honestly. However I have noticed issues with more modules turned on.