Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doing My First Podcast

Default Doing My First Podcast

So I've decided to do my first podcast and hopefully if all goes well, publish it on my blog next week.

I have been asked hundreds of times why I don't podcast and to be honest, I've just been overwhelmed by all the steps. But I had a firm talk with myself last night (lol) and realized I don't have publish to iTunes right away. I can just do one recording, upload it to my blog and see how the feedback is received.

I have a good mic, I can use Audacity for recording and for this one time I will just embed the audio into WordPress. I won't make a habit of this though because of bandwidth but I want to make it easy on myself just to see how I like doing it.

After all, I'm always so chatty on YouTube and I think podcasting is better for longer dissertations because people can listen while they multi-task.

Does anyone here have a podcast or thought of doing one? I'm open to any tips!

Yeah I always like to listen while I work, so this would be good!

Why not just sign up to libsyn? It is reasonably priced and you'd might as well start as you mean to go on.

A tip I have is that if you make a mistake while recording, clap you hands loudly to put a spike in the wave audio image. It makes it easier to identify problem areas that need editing when you come to edit.

While audacity is good, it is inferior to some of the Sony audio products. I recommend Sony acid because not only is it GREAT for podcast editing (it has something called 'envelopes' which is something musicians will understand) you can use the tempo grid for adding in loops at whatever bpm (beats per minute, or tempo) you want.

I really do feel this will be better for you because while you might feel you are 'rambling' on YouTube (I don't think you are but I know you think you do sometimes) this long form style is ideal for podcasts. I like the nuances of any given subject and sometimes when I go for long walks to exercise and take breaks I'll gladly take you with me on my MP3 player.

I would like to do a podcast one day but it hinges on a good mic and good hosting, I think.

You have got me thinking now!

Darren, these are great, great tips so thank you! And what a great tip about the clap! I will definitely use this.

Yes I was looking into Libsyn as that seems to be the go-to platform now. I've never even heard of Sony Acid. Looks like I have a few things to consider. But yes I agree, since I can be chatty, I think the podcast platform will be suitable for those who may not want to sit and watch a 10 minute video but wouldn't mind listening from their iPod, phone, etc. I think with the world we live in now with everyone on the go, it's another great way to reach your audience.

Thank you, thank you!!

LOL, I'm launching it tomorrow and just using my original "yeah, yeah, yeah" jingle but I've actually thought about outsourcing something this time. But maybe I'll be able to pull another one out of my Garageband. lol And I did end up going with Libsyn so thanks for the nudge.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Oh cool, so you've done all the recording already? That was fast!
    Yep, I wanted it to be live for this week's blog post. The feedback via email and on my blog has been really good so far. But more than that, I really, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to getting it on iTunes.

http://blog.2createawebsite.com/2014...online-income/

Lisa!!!

I'm doing the happy dance in my chair right now. Congratulations!!

Don't worry too much about the intro music for - you're song is just fine. What you really need to focus on is the cover art. Did you know that you need a 1400 x 1400 px file for iTunes?

It's super important to have great cover art if you want to appear in the New and Noteworthy section of iTunes. You might know this already but the crazy thing is that the shows that are featured are partly based on the number of subscribers but the other part has nothing to do with any kind of algorithm. It's like 2 or 3 people who hand pick the shows based on their opinion of what is considered "good" cover art!

Crazy right.

Based on that, my suggestion is to just look through the shows that are currently being featured and see if you can spot any patterns. You also need to consider that the font need to be easy to read at a small size.

I'm so excited!! I feel like I'm babbling right now but I guess that's what we're supposed to do in this forum right. Babble

Thanks so much for the shout out. You touched my heart.

I just listened to it. Congratulations Lisa. I really think your podcast has the potential to hugely increase your audience.

The most interesting part for me was where you talked about graduating from university and the jobs you had, but that's just me. The 'mop' part made me laugh... I think you should keep calling it that!

The new product that's replaced Premise, isn't that the Rainmaker Platform? It was released about a month ago.

Just listened to your first podcast, most enjoyable and didn't expect much else, looking forward to subscribing to you via iTunes. On the short term I have book marked your rss.
    I prefer the podcast medium, can listen to at any time.
    Waiting for you next podcast
    Tutorial with a real time project on how to earn an income by blogging.
    www.earnincomebyblogging.com

Nice to listen to the first one.
    It would need to have an expected schedule, as you told me on G+ you plan on doing it one per month, then just decide on a date, like the first monday of the month, or the 10th of each month, etc.
    It helps listeners to know to expect your release.
    I find this very handy with pat flynn's podcast every wenesday.
    Please don't click and register right now because the thing is broken.

Want traffic? Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer : 250,000+ UV / Month

Thanks everyone!

Ileane, yes I have my cover art ready to go. I purposely made it red so it will hopefully stand out AND because it matches my site colors. I couldn't see how to upload it to Libsyn though (I found their interface annoying by the way. lol) but I know how to add it when I publish to iTunes. But I didn't know about the hand picked thing. Wow.

carlo, I must've missed the launch of Rainmaker! I'll have to check it out.

James, thanks for mentioning that. I will definitely commit to a set schedule and announce it. Good tip. Saw your comment about Joel Comm and that makes sense!

The feedback has been amazing so I'm excited to do more!! Thank you everyone.

Loved it Lisa, it was interesting hearing what you were like at college, I could relate to some of that. I like your long form style a lot, you've inspired me to think about a podcast one day. How often do you intend to record a podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Loved it Lisa, it was interesting hearing what you were like at college, I could relate to some of that. I like your long form style a lot, you've inspired me to think about a podcast one day. How often do you intend to record a podcast?
    Thanks! I'm going to start with once a month even though I think I could do more. But I would rather set a pace I KNOW I can meet instead of promising one thing and not being able to deliver. Then I'll adjust and go from there. I plan to announce my official schedule in the next one thanks to James C's advice about establishing a rhythm and announcing it which was good.

Thank you Ileane! I could not figure that out for the life of me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast