Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Greetings from The Beaches of Wilmington NC

Default Greetings from The Beaches of Wilmington NC

Hi,
    Truth is, I'm so busy I rarely get to the beach! But it's nice to know I can get to one in less than 15 minutes. Just thought I should say hello as I try to get familiar with Website Babble. I've been looking for such a place for months, especially for beginning and struggling bloggers. I'm happy to be here. I've been blogging for nearly 2 years but with periods of interruptions. Am now working hard to blog regularly and on schedule.

I do have a burning question (one of many but less burning) and hope it's ok to ask it here. I'm on Bloglovin' but recently read a complaint on an Etsy team forum that Bloglovin' "steals their link power." Can't get anyone to tell me what that means. I did some research on Bloglovin reveiws which led me to op out of the view blog in a frame. When I tested the link views to my site, with and without the frame, all 3 showed up as the post being viewed. One was reported as referrer from Bloglovin frame, Two showed no referrer which meant I could not track from where the link came.

I guess my question is how can an aggregate reader possibly hurt your links as long as the link goes back to your site?

Thanks much for any info on this.

Hi and welcome! Are the links "nofollow"? Meaning when you view the source code (right click your mouse and select view source on the page). Find the code for your link and see if says "nofollow." That means the link doesn't count from a search engine perspective. I'm not familiar with Bloglovin's policies so maybe that's what they mean.

Hi Lisa, Thanks for such a quick response. I didn't find a "nofollow." While on Bloglovin, I right clicked on the preview of my latest blog and selected Inspect Element. Nothing there. I then clicked on the link which took me to my website, again right clicked to "View page source" and did not find "nofollow." It just occurred to me that perhaps I should try this using the Bloglovin frame. If it's different, will let you know. But if I understand nofollow, it looks like Bloglovin is ok and that it is just a matter of personal taste for viewing blogs on a feeder. Best.

The way it works as far as I can tell is this, and it would result in a loss of "juice" to this extent. Anyone who links to your site in its own location gives you a link which has value based largely on who they are. If someone links to your site through Bloglovin' the link goes to them. Look at your navigation bar when you look at your post there and you can see that.

You can look at it two ways. In the first, your links are being divided so they are both weakened by the fact that they do not all link to you at your site. But the other view is that you are getting readers by virtue of Bloglovin' that you would not have otherwise so you are not hurting your own site at all and may help it if people find you and then go directly to your site, linking to it at some point. And you are getting some benefit in the way of readers and juice to that second location that you would not have otherwise.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

James, thanks so much for your reply. This really makes sense, as well as why bloggers with thousands of followers would continue on Bloglovin. (BTW, Master Gardeners are the nicest people. I was one in 3 different states and met so many lovely folks. Miss it but just don't have the time any more.)

I don't have the time I would like for the Master Gardener program either, but I keep up with my hours by doing the website for them. That can be done on my own time. We have a great group here, one of the strongest in the state for sure. We have more than 50 active members now.

We just did our annual community "Let's Get Growing" workshop (nearly 250 people in attendance). I did a demonstration on tool care and sharpening and got so much into it I decided to put up a website on it. Just what I need, another website!
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou