How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Backing up WordPress, A good experience in an emergency.

Default Backing up WordPress, A good experience in an emergency.

Today I had a scary experience. I used live preview to look at the possibilities in a new theme application and when I canceled it and went back to my site, it was a disaster. The posts were OK, but everything in my right column (newsletter subscription form, favorite sites list, etc.) was gone. Ugh.

I went to my backup program with a lot of concern. Setting up for backups for most programs is similar but how do they work when you need to restore? A while back I had installed UpdraftPlus on this site after I found that it had become the top rated backup plug-in on WordPress.org.

This post is to let you know that if you want a great free backup program, this is it! Step by step I found this to be one of the most user friendly programs I have ever used. When you hit the restore button you get a list of checkboxes so you can choose what to restore: themes, add-ons, databases....

Since I had saved my backup files on my own drives it provided a convenient drag and drop box for uploading them. After finishing it even told me that there were files saved during the process (for safety) that I should delete after making sure everything was working properly, listed them, and offered a delete button for getting rid of them when I was ready. At every step I received clear, easy to follow instructions.

Choosing a backup program is challenging because you don't know how they work until it is too late if they turn out to be less than satisfactory. I thought I would share this experience with you in case you are looking for a good backup program. I have others on some of my sites, but I am switching all of them to UpdraftPlus (the free version is what I am using and it is complete with all you need for ordinary use).
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

When I bought BackUpBuddy I thought "I hope this works in an emergency".. so yeah, I too need to test the software under different simulated situations. It's always good to know the nuances of these things. I know BUB works similar to Duplicator, in that when you back up, a .zip archive of your database and theme are saved, along with an installer.php file for setting up WP in a clean server root.

I will be looking into UpdraftPlus. I do recommend Duplicator though. It is the free (and excellent) plugin used in the site back up/migration chapters of the PDF guide "Instant WordPress Unleashed". If you use Instant WordPress I recommend downloading the guide written by the author of the IWP environment. In it he uses Duplicator to show how to take backups of your site.

I use the free UpdraftPlus as well. I have been very impressed with it. Plus I use it to back up to my cloud storage. Bonus!

Although it was the last part I restored because I did not suspect that was the problem, in fact what was damaged was my datafiles. I am especially pleased now, though, that it was because of all the parts of the backup that could be problematic, I think the database would be the most troublesome. If the backup restores that part I have good confidence that the other parts would be done well, too.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

I prefer database WP backup it is easy to download and then upload no need of plugin just required a cpanel login.

Great discussion. Some people don't even think about backups until they really need them so this is a good reminder. I must say I always have that fear that the backup won't work even though I have tested it. I'll check into UpDraftPlus. Geez, you guys and gals are full of information on the forum today. Cool!