Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Website Backups

Question Website Backups

Hi guys, I've built my website up quite a bit now and have over 100 blog posts but I'm unsure on how well I've backed it up. At the moment, I have just a WordPress plugin called WordPress Database Backup which emails a pre-setup back-up email account with back ups each day. But is this enough, is it even right? Or should I be doing more/something else?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but it seems quiet a complicated thing to me, probably more so than it actually is!

Thanks in advance
    Looking for Success?: www.OneLifeSuccess.net
    "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life"
    ~Steve Jobs~

When it comes to WordPress, there are two common backup methods relied on by most site owners:

1.A WordPress plugin.
    2.Server backups provided by a host or cPanel.

These methods work okay … for the most part. However, there are drawbacks. First, plugins are PHP-based, which is an inefficient and unreliable way to get backups. These plugins, via PHP, attempt to communicate with the server in a way that most secure Linux servers won’t allow or make very difficult … because a hacker could do the same thing. As for host-provided backups, they are certainly a nice benefit. There is peace of mind in knowing that your host takes a daily backup of your site and stores a week’s worth of them.

Most managed WordPress hosts provide this, and it should be a prerequisite of any premium host you consider.

Yes that plugin backs up your posts, pages and comments but it does not backup your theme files. You can either look for a plugin that does both or login to your hosting account and backup/download the theme folder. It's normally located at

/root/wp-content/themes/[theme_folder]

You can also do this with FTP.

I'm not a fan of plugin backups. First, I try to limit plugins, second the one you are using failed on me because my database got too large or something like that and for months I didn't notice it wasn't backing up. I'd rather do it manually with FTP and backup my database at the hosting level.

Hi guys, thanks for both of your replies! I've always been a little edgy with the backup plugin and had the image of something going wrong, my inbox being full and not being able to restore the site to a recent backup like you said. But after some research based on your posts tonight, I've found my host, Bluehost has a Backup & Restore App built into it's cpanel.

So I wondered if a 'full cpanel back up' (including it says, website files and settings, databases, emails, etc) is sufficient and does this cover both the theme files and the posts, comments, etc? Is there anyway to automate the process in the cloud too without the need to backup and download on a daily/weekly basis?

Thanks again! I really appreciate the advice on a topic that's so dull yet so important
    Looking for Success?: www.OneLifeSuccess.net
    "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life"
    ~Steve Jobs~

I decided to use a plugin to backup my WordPress blog, and haven't really had any issues with it. I am using BackupBuddy - which has a yearly cost, but it does backup my database and all my blog's files. It keeps a local copy of the backup as well as send a second copy to cloud storage, so if something were to happen to the files on my host, I have the offsite backup to restore from.

Which ever route you choose to backup your blog, just ensure you always have a copy of the files away from your host.