How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Music Teaching Website

Default Music Teaching Website

Hi,

I've been teaching music for a long time and my dream is expand that business out to the web. Should I try and build one website that contains lots of diverse tutorials or should I go for a handful of niche websites that are more targeted? What are your opinions please?

I noted Lisa's platform is more one huge authority style website and blog with tons of posts, tutorials and the like. I'm not sure which direction would be a better strategy for me to follow at this point in the internet marketing game. My instincts tell me to go for multiple niche websites that each have a nice collection of Long Tail Keywords that are not over saturated on the supply side. However, I see other successful music teachers online going more for the large authority style websites. So a little unsure as which path to take.

My overal beginning strategy would be to create high quality teaching/tutorial videos for youtube, linking back to website/blog in order to build an e-mail subscriber list. That would be phase one, just try to get some momentum going, start building a following for my teaching.

Please chime in, your insights, experience and feedback appreciated.

Thanks for reading my post!

-Warren

Hi Warren

Welcome! Because of how the web has changed, I'd highly recommend having one large authority site than a bunch of smaller ones but that's just me. Have you ever heard of Jermaine Grigg's Hear and Play site? http://www.hearandplay.com/ That's a good example of a successful music teaching website. You may want to check it out.

Would you be teaching how to play a specific instrument?

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for reading my post. Yes I will be teaching guitar primarlily, that's what I do best. I checked out hearnandplay.com, that's quite a website, they obviously put in tons of work in building that business and creating products. But hey that's the fun part, being creative, making products from scratch. That's what it's all about, enjoying the ride, helping people move forward.

Thanks for your insights regarding bulding one large authority website versus multiple smaller sights. I feel confident moving forward in that direction with your guidence. Seems much easier to have all content in one central hub.

Thanks!

An authority website has higher chances of being ranked well by the search engines as compared to small niche websites. Thanks to spammers and internet marketers who wanted to earn a quick buck, the era of small niche websites is over(though you can still use them successfully if you do it right).

Until Google finally decided to crack down on it, the internet was full of small websites with a handful of posts, sometimes consisting of only 2-3 short articles, and ranking for a few niche keywords. There were people who were making a living off of it by putting Adsense ads on their 3-article websites and pulling in hordes of traffic from Google's first page. But it was a nightmare for people using the search engines. Imagine looking for information on a certain niche and being confronted with a plethora of 3-article websites when you did a search!

Build an authority website, make it the go-to website in your area of expertise, and build your own army of followers who will spread the word even farther. Making YouTube videos and linking to your website is one of the best ways to go about it. My tip is to use Google Hangouts to create videos and publish them on YouTube; you can be sure that all of them will rank on top without any effort. Here's a helpful article:

Google+ Hangouts and How to Use Them for SEO

Making a list right from the word go is the right thing to do too. Also use Facebook to your advantage by creating a fanpage as well as Twitter by sending out useful tweets and making followers.

Thanks Emvy for such a thoughtful reply! I appreciate your insights, most helpful.

Cool, I will be interested to read your site since I play music too... I have slacked off on my guitar practice for the last few years