Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: WordPress tip: on changing posts to pages (or vice versa)

Default WordPress tip: on changing posts to pages (or vice versa)

This post is just to share a little tool I ran onto. There are occasions when you want to change a page to a post or a post to a page when using WordPress. There is a simple little plug-in called "Post Type Switcher" that makes it so quick and easy. Right in the publishing area of the editing page for your post or page it puts a little drop down box titled "Post type:____ " and showing either page or post where I drew the line. All you have to do is click on the drop down and choose an alternate type to make a change. Slick.

I remember Lisa making a very important post talking about the importance of not using a regular post type page for our home page, but having a page instead so that we can offer basic information needed for our site. I immediately realized the value of that and especially the need for it on one of my sites, but had a little difficulty finding out how to make a change.

A couple days ago I ran onto this plug-in. I like it and think some others might like it too. Check it out if you think it helpful. I try hard to limit the number of plug-ins I use, but I think this one is valuable.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

I'm wondering why you would want to change a post to a page? The only difference I can think of is the fact that Posts have categories. I would find it easier to copy the source code of the post and paste it into a new page, and just add the meta. As long as the permalink is the same you have an identical copy.

I'm interested to know why you would use a plugin - maybe I have overlooked something that the plugin addresses.

There are not a lot of advantages, perhaps, but enough to make it worthwhile I think. Here are a few of things.

First, accepting that you do want/need to make the change, what you suggest is fine except, perhaps, for paranoia and speed. The paranoia part relates to the possibility that you might end up with a different link structure on some pages if you don't get the permalink transferred properly. It may seem foolish, but over the years I have spent enough time looking for a small typing error somewhere that I inadvertently made causing havoc. With one or two pages I might not worry, but if I have a number to do I like the assurance of an automatic process.

As for speed, using the plug-in requires two quick clicks. What you describe is not terribly complicated, but does require a little knowledge and time. If you do this on multiple pages that could be significant.

Second, for me the main thing is just simplicity and ease of use. Again, if it were only for a rare page it might not matter, and I will likely disable it to save resources after I finish a particular project I am working on (it is easy to activate when needed), but I have one site in mind where I want to use it to change a number of posts to pages. The reason is that the site is proving not to be fitted for posts. After doing a number of posts I found that my "tips" on a particular topic were not really time related, but more topical. So I want to change from a blog type site to a static type site using WordPress as a CMS. I think the job will be smoother if I can use this tool.

In addition I would note that not everyone understands how WordPress works well enough to feel comfortable doing this manually. For them I think this makes sense as well.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

James, great find. Someone actually posted this very question not too long ago and I didn't realize there was a plugin for this (although I should have just assumed since there seems to be a plugin for everything now. lol)