How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: How do I prepare this site just prior to advertising it?

Lightbulb How do I prepare this site just prior to advertising it?

Folks, I'd like some feedback on this site prior to driving some ad traffic to it. This site is not a business (though it may become one). It was a fundraiser that kept growing, and yes, we have been getting sales and donations, through word of mouth and social sharing. Anyway, we are hoping that we can target some traffic to come in and purchase some apparel that my son customized.

I need to know:

1. What more can I do to encourage visitors who click an ad and end up at the site to take an action (make a purchase)?
    2. I dislike how huge I had to make the header in the Twenty Fourteen theme. Any suggestions as to how to make the header more reasonable looking would be appreciated.
    3. I think we should add a video or at least more text of our kid
    4. I integrated MailChimp but we don't have a subscription. I want to add a checkbox on the WooCommerce checkout page that will let the customer subscribe to the email list, but that's a premium MailChimp feature. I know how to make a form and whatnot - any reason I shouldn't add the checkbox myself?
    5. On the slider, I would like to make the background box behind the text partially transparent. Using Firebug I see where I can change the color, but how do I adjust the transparency?

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated. We need this site to lend itself to purchases by the people that come in via the ads, so I want real and helpful advice. Don't worry about offending - you won't!

Thanks in advance!

Trish
    Last edited by TrishP; 04-25-2014 at 05:24 AM.
    Bring the Boom - imaginations on fire!
    DAW Apparel - shirts that ROCK!