How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Have you heard of Pligg?

Default Have you heard of Pligg?

Hi everyone,
    about 2 years ago i came across Pligg CMS. The official definition of this kind of CMS is "Open source Social Networking Content Management System".
    Basically, what websites based on this system do is showing lots of articles from a specific niche and let users vote for them. Users actually submit those articles themselves, when they find something interesting around the web.

When i found out about it and explored it a little, i thought it was really cool and i found some nice Pligg-based-websites with great resources. Of course i immediately thought about trying it and came up with some ideas, but after downloading and playing with it i decided to wait for a while, and see if this CMS is growing and becoming known, with more templates and modules to choose from.

So after a few years, it crossed my mind again and i was wondering if any of you have heard about it and maybe used it, and what you think about this rather new and interesting kind of CMS.

And if you've never heard of it you should google Pligg Showcase and see how it works.

Maya.

I've never heard of this but I sort of wonder if this will go the way that the old free classified ad sites went.

In other words, it becomes more popular by the people submitting the content looking for exposure than the people actually browsing the site for content.

For example, would a web surfer who is interested in healthy eating want to go to a website with a bunch of articles to vote on them? Maybe, if they are arranged in a logical, helpful way. But I think to make this useful it has to be interesting for the reader too. Seems like sometimes systems like this often attract authors looking for exposure instead of readers. So the execution would have to be good.

Maybe I'm not completely understanding the concept. If there is a link you can share that shows a website using it, feel free.

Lisa-
    you've got something there, and when i first learned about this CMS i right away thought about all the external links that a site like this might have, i mean, the site owner basically gives "permission' to any user to turn his website into kind of a link farm.
    I think it's a matter of how you organize your site, as you said - if it's in a logical, categorized way, then it might work (and the owner does a good job moderating the submitted articles). I think it might be a good idea to somehow add this kind of feature to an existing WP (+ Buddypress?) website which has a blog and talks about a certain niche, and then have a page with articles recommended by the community members.

Anyway, here's a very popular Pligg website, where i sometimes find nice articles - http://www.bizsugar.com
    Looks like it's working for them.

Lately i also downloaded an app called Zite, which does pretty much the same as Pligg, and i love using it. But it's an app on my Ipad, and i only read articles there when i'm in a "relaxed" mode, and not working in front of my computer.

Oh OK, yes I've heard of BizSugar. Wasn't aware they were run with Pligg. I'd love to know how they got started. The site's been popular for quite some time and I know it's very popular with the blogging/internet marketing world.

If I am not mistaken some people use it for social bookmarking?

There is no luck except where there is discipline | 12BET
    - Irish Proverb