How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Scammers getting more clever all the time!

Default Scammers getting more clever all the time!

As long as you pay attention you can usually avoid trouble, but I have noted that the scammers (as opposed to spammers) are getting more clever and competent all the time. Fake UPS and FedEx notifications have been around awhile that look pretty real for example.

Today I got a renewal notice for one of my domains that was really dangerous for anyone without a sensitivity to these things so I thought I would make a post just to give an additional warning to newbies.

The renewal notification included all the information needed to make it look real, not just the name of my domain but the date of registration, expiration, etc. Especially irritating to me was the footer, beginning:

You have received this message because you elected to receive special notifications and offers...
    It had all the information for unsubscribing from what I really never subscribed to, of course, but also stated that "This message is CAN-SPAM compliant." Sure!

Of course I did not click any of the deceptive links with their false fronts, but I did note in the fine print that if I did my renewal would cost me $75.00. That was about the only thing on the page that didn't look real.

I don't know if this was just a fake email to get me to click on some dangerous input of just an attempt to steal some of my money but either way it is disgusting to see these folks messing up the internet world for the rest of us.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Yea, I get quite a few of these. Or scammers trying to sell you some sort of domain security, or, domain privacy. When it doubt, don't click any of the links in the email. Just delete it. And go directly to your registrar. If that doesn't help, call your registrar or hosting provider directly.

Watch out for the phone calls from India as well. There is a company that is posing as Microsoft and will try and say they have detected viruses coming from your IP. They ask for remote access to your PC and then try to get you to buy their software.

Thanks for posting this alert James. You are right. The spammers are getting savvier and savvier by the year. It's very troubling. Think of how many people would NOT have realized it. Ugh.

Thanks for posting this alert James. You are right. The spammers are getting savvier and savvier by the year. It's very troubling. Think of how many people would NOT have realized it. Ugh.
    As the technology are going advanced, they can also go for advanced. So watch out and be alert always.