Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEO Agencies will Be Dead in Few Years

Default SEO Agencies will Be Dead in a Few Years

I was reading about the MyBlogGuest debacle a few days ago and apparently an inside source at Google was quoted off the record as saying SEO firms will be finished in a few years.

I take that to mean Google will be taking manual action against such businesses, but also presumably that the algorithm will no longer look kindly on anything SEO related.

What are your thoughts on this?

Google is NOT the internet but the word "Google" is modern vernacular and a verb that lends itself to the way most consumers have come to regard the internet.

There are some very good SEO agencies out there like Brighton SEO who have a very successful internet marketing podcast. I suppose they would describe themselves as being in the business of "site visibility" which is also their brand name.

So, do you think "SEO" is marked for death, or is this Google up to their usual scare tactics to make a point?
    Last edited by Darren; 04-09-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Great question and looking forward to hearing what others think too.

I think it's both. Google knows they have the power and I do believe they used My Blog Guest as a scare tactic. Yes we all know guest blogging can be scammy and I am personally tired of all emails with the crappy submissions. But I think there was a better way to handle that whole situation. For example, IGNORE links instead of penalizing. Not everyone who guest posted submitted or hosted spammy content.

But back to your original question, I took the quote to mean more that SEO firms will be hurting simply because it's going to be harder for them to help their clients get traffic since so much of SEO is now dependent on that site's authentic popularity. An SEO firm can't help someone have genuine engagement unless they are going to manage their marketing campaign for them.

So even if they do still rank well, how many of them will stay in business unless they are UPFRONT about the fact that a client's traffic will LARGELY depend on what they do AFTER the basics like meta tags and sitemaps are covered. So if they are being honest about what they can and cannot do, there should be a place for SEO firms.

I don't think Google would take manual action on all SEO firms.... well then again.... nothing surprises me anymore so let me back up. LOL But I do think the firms will have a harder time keeping business because they cannot promise RESULTS like they could years ago. The results largely depend on the site owner's marketing.

So I don't know if they were talking about manual penalties or the sheer fact SEO as we used to know it is dying so it's a tough business to get into.

I often think about very reputable SEO firms like Seer Interactive -- owned by Wil Reynolds, a very well-respected guy in the SEO industry. I wonder how his company is handling all this.

In olden days, when the king died and was replaced, there was a proclamation: "The king is dead; long live the king."

It is possible that the name, "SEO" may decline, and it is already being replaced somewhat by "internet marketing" or "social media" identifications. There could yet be a new name, perhaps something like "traffic consultants" but there will always be a group focused on getting people to your site to buy your products.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Google is NOT the internet but the word "Google" is modern vernacular and a verb that lends itself to the way most consumers have come to regard the internet.
    I don't know if it just me, but why do I have a feeling that Google is the internet now.

Ever since I've learned about SEO I keep in mind that SEO is a constant change. So, in my opinion, SEO will not be dead anytime soon, it is just in the phase or in the process of changing and we people (seo people) will need to adapt from these changes. It doesn't matter how many changes will come, because we intend to learn and to adapt no matter what.

There is no luck except where there is discipline | 12BET
    - Irish Proverb

Google had to make some adjustments. Anything and eveything could have ranked only a year ago. You could get links from Russian sites and rank in the US. But, their algorithm is still anchor text and backlink based. If you are smart about it your strategies will work.

If you let ****, Tom and Harry play around with your site you will face problems. Therefore, at least 50% of the so called SEO firms has to shut down because they kept using the same sources with no imagination. Clients will not trust them anymore and worry about getting penalized.

You just have to think how you can promote your site. For example, Guest Posts aren't dead. Everyone will have to be choosy from now. Bloggers have to choose who they will allow guest posts and site owners have to make sure that they publish guest posts on decent sites. Google had to take actions against sites that exist purely for selling guest posts. You have to see the difference between a decent blog that sometimes allow others post relevant content and those sites that make it a business to sell links.

The same applies to every other sources of website promotion. Remember Google advocates linking to good sites because they believe this is how online information should be shared. You like something and share it with your readers. It isn't spam, it is being a good blogger. You need to be choosy if you are planning on sticking around. You need to build relations with people first and ask a link back later. It will take a lot more efforts to establish and rank websites but it is doable. Sky is not falling yet, in my opinion.

Sky is not falling yet, in my opinion.
    Right. And it never will. People just worry because the storm clouds keep rolling around into various ugly patterns.

But the people who sell umbrellas and raincoats love it.

And the folks who are as old as I am know that people have been predicting the end of the world have been doing so forever.

People fear change, but if you see change as your friend and keep adjusting to it you will move ahead while others are left behind. If Lisa were still focused on article marketing instead of YouTube videos and the like she would have been back in some kind of 9-5 long agoŚnot to mention the ramen noodles. Instead she is thriving, and so can any of us who accept the challenge and opportunity of change.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    People fear change, but if you see change as your friend and keep adjusting to it you will move ahead while others are left behind. If Lisa were still focused on article marketing instead of YouTube videos and the like she would have been back in some kind of 9-5 long ago—not to mention the ramen noodles. Instead she is thriving, and so can any of us who accept the challenge and opportunity of change.
    Ramen noodles! Mmmmmmm my old college staple! Or as I like to call it "cup-o-sodium."

Well said, TCI and James.

Yes, Google had to make some algorithm adjustments because of spam no doubt (and they STILL have work to do in that area), but this was more than just about spam. It was for their own pockets too. But hey... it's their business, not mine.... and certainly their right.

The bottom line is, whether we are talking about SEO evolving or just marketing online in general, the standard for quality is forever changed. With attention spans constantly getting shorter and people continuously consuming too much information, multitasking, etc. it does take more work to rise above the noise than it did years ago.

And even though SEO is tougher, I actually like that they are trying to get rid of manipulation as much as possible. Granted, since backlinks will always be a part of the algorithm, there will be that window for black hat to always work on some level, but they have cleaned things up a lot.

And as TCI said, it just takes a lot more effort to rank. A lot of people are choosing to look at this as a negative thing (especially if you've been out here since before the Panda days), but look at the flip side. If you come up with something ultra refreshing, helpful and unique, people will welcome it with open arms.

The only constant is change!

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    And even though SEO is tougher, I actually like that they are trying to get rid of manipulation as much as possible.
    Is that really the case though? I read that Viperchill article about brands and their dofollow backlinks... it seems like it's ok for brands to game the system but it's not ok for smaller sites to make an honest mistake with dofollow.

You're obviously right about Google lining their pockets and filling their boots. I speak to small biz clients who think they can rank organically easily just because they see these big brands doing the same. The point at what bigger sites are doing and ask "Can you do that for me?". I tell them if they want to be top of the search engine they're going to have to use Adwords.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Is that really the case though? I read that Viperchill article about brands and their dofollow backlinks... it seems like it's ok for brands to game the system but it's not ok for smaller sites to make an honest mistake with dofollow.

You're obviously right about Google lining their pockets and filling their boots. I speak to small biz clients who think they can rank organically easily just because they see these big brands doing the same. The point at what bigger sites are doing and ask "Can you do that for me?". I tell them if they want to be top of the search engine they're going to have to use Adwords.
    Yes, I think it's tougher for the average novice who is just starting. Glen has been around forever and knows his stuff. Even though he admits to using black hat strategies, he knows exactly which ones to use and which ones to avoid. So even though black hat can work, you still have to know what you're doing for the long-run. So yeah I do think SEO is tougher for the average person who is just starting a site compared to 5 years ago.

I also think that big brands get a pass and Google is either ignoring it, or letting it go because it's a brand.

Google is in the business of making money. Their decisions in the shadows will always be geared towards pleasing the big brands first. Regardless of how much they say they want to change the world - and they do. However, shareholders still need to be paid.

Also, big brands already earned a certain reputation as somewhat credible. They're known and everybody knows what they're about versus a new player to the game. The newbie will have to spend time to build trust.

SEO as with every single other market is maturing, it will never die. Basic on-site SEO, for example, plays a big role in communicating to the search engines on which niches you're targeting and to what your site is relevant. It's just that SEO is not viable as a standalone practice and business maturity dictates that we do better when marketing our ideas, products and services.

The SEO of the past is not sustainable and created lots of laziness.

Let's face it, mastering SEO on its own is not a formula for business success. Anything that can be manipulated, as it has been in the past, will produce skewed and unfair results. Especially since it eliminated the genuine human interaction factor which real businesses need to master. This caused business people to be lazy, creating crappy products and business models that solely relied on SEO. It simply doesn't work for the long-term.

The SEO expert / firm of the future will need to offer design services, marketing consultation, brand and sales management along with SEO to provide working solutions for their clients. The complete gamut of services.

I don't like the acronym SEO because it is so hypocritical to begin with, it stands for Search Engine Optimisation, but nobody cares about yahoo/bing, not even mentionning others, only about Google..
    So why not call it Google Optimisation or just GO ?

Because the hypocrites want to say the seo practises for Google are beneficial for ALL search engines.. That's just the BS continuing, they don't know their practises are beneficial for anything, not even Google itself.. But still insist on calling themselves SEO..

And anyway, dead in a few years is better than never born at all :-)
    Please don't click and register right now because the thing is broken.

Want traffic? Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer : 250,000+ UV / Month

Lol, you have point there James and it's something I'm mindful of.

For example, the use of meta keywords have been discontinued by Google, because of past keyword stuffing of course. However, I'm sure there are other search engines that still rely on this data. So I still include it to make sure.

The truth is that there's still a lot of people who have Yahoo as their home page and thus use their search engine. Another note is that it's much easier to rank in Yahoo than Google. I launched a site last weekend and in about 7 days I was ranking 5th front page in Yahoo for my primary keyword. It's not a stable ranking yet and It's a low competition keyword BTW but it just shows that there are opportunities out there other than Google.

I agree with you James.

Just did a little research and Yahoo does in fact use meta keywords as a factor in ranking as seen here: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/search/hig...e-sln2216.html Whereas Google does not.

Hey James, why don't you tell us what you really think! LOL

(SEO people, generally speaking of course, do have a poor reputation its trueŚand pretty well earned.)
    Good Success!

My thoughts on the subject are that Google are threatening the spammers and abusers of the web, nothing more. As much as they would like to have their hands on everything, they don't. Even thought the name Google is used as a byword for a search engine they don't dictate the web. SEO is consisted of numerous activities, which don't always revolve around link building. As long as there is internet and consumers SEO will always have it's place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast