Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Changing email DNS

Question Changing email DNS

Hi! I'm working on a website where the person purchased a domain name through 1&1, then I had him point his nameservers at my HostGator account so I am developing and hosting the site. I don't have access to his 1&1 account, nor do I want it. He liked the email boxes he had already set up with 1&1 so I left those alone. I added email addresses and put in a forwarder through my cpanel through Hostgator (info@, advertise@ and so on) and all of them point to a single gmail account we set up for the business. He's getting failure messages for his boxes on 1&1 and their support person (in India) told him that I should change the email DNS.

Is this something I have him do on the 1&1 side, like I provided the info for him to point his nameservers over to my HG account? What is involved in this? He will lose his email boxes on 1&1, which I think is fine at this point, and I understand it can take a day or two for the change to propagate, and that is fine too. I just need to know if this is a change I can make somewhere in HostGator or whether I have to provide info for him to use in his 1&1 registrar account. THANKS!!!

I have added forwarders on my HG account for the ones that were failing and they also go to the gmail account now - but this feels like a hack. I want to know how to fix the DNS properly.

HG also disables catch-all accounts for spam and privacy reasons, which I think is a reasonable thing.
    Bring the Boom - imaginations on fire!
    DAW Apparel - shirts that ROCK!

I have only done it the way you've done it and NEVER adjusted anything on the domain side. So I think adding the forwarders at the hosting level is the best way to do it. I personally don't see anything wrong with that. But if someone else thinks there is a reason you should update the DNS, I'm all ears/eyes because I just use the hosting forwarding feature.

I won't even pretend to understand all the server stuff.

Thank you lisa! Your word here is authoritative enough for me! All I got was what the tech said to my customer, third hand, and the person was not easy for him to understand. I wanted to make sure I did this right since the guy said that I should know how to change the email DNS. As long as the emails get delivered and the customer is happy, I am happy. Thank you again!!

All is well. I never had someone want to keep their box on the registrar before. But the client is happy having all their boxes forward to the one gmail now. I set the gmail account up so that it will automatically reply as the address that received the mail (info@, sales@, etc) and new emails get sent out as info@ and never as the gmail address unless he selects that. So professional!

The MX record in DNS governs where mail is sent. So wherever that record points to is where email is getting sent for the entire domain.
    Last edited by STB; 04-09-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    The MX record in DNS governs where mail is sent. So wherever that record points to is where email is getting sent for the entire domain.
    Great! Is that to be found with the registrar or with the web host? The customer has access to the registrar (1&1) and I have access to the host (HG). Thank you!

It is whomever's DNS servers are authoritative for the domain. It can be the registrar, but it could also be the web host.

Start with the registrar and see who is listed under the name servers. Whoever is listed as the name server is authoritative for the domain.

And those are the DNS records that will be used when someone is trying to go to your site, or, send you email.

For example, I could register my domain with Register.com and then my hosting could be Bluehost.com. I could tell Register.com to use Bluehost's name servers. That means Bluehost controls all my DNS for my domain. I need to create and modify my DNS records at Bluehost.
    Last edited by STB; 04-09-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Yep, it is mx records. You need to add these to your hosting account. There are usually two you need to add.

I have a client who uses 1&1 as well and since she purchased her URL through that registrar she wanted to use their email inbox too.

I use DreamHost so after I had added the DreamHost name servers to her domain in her 1&1 account I had to add custom MX records to the URL settings in DH.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    It is whomever's DNS servers are authoritative for the domain. It can be the registrar, but it could also be the web host.

Start with the registrar and see who is listed under the name servers. Whoever is listed as the name server is authoritative for the domain.

And those are the DNS records that will be used when someone is trying to go to your site, or, send you email.

For example, I could register my domain with Register.com and then my hosting could be Bluehost.com. I could tell Register.com to use Bluehost's name servers. That means Bluehost controls all my DNS for my domain. I need to create and modify my DNS records at Bluehost.
    Brilliant! Thank you! I gave my nameservers to the client and he entered those into his profile for the domain, so therefore I have DNS authority under my HG account. This is great because my client knows zip about any of this. I just learned something great! You're awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I use DreamHost so after I had added the DreamHost name servers to her domain in her 1&1 account I had to add custom MX records to the URL settings in DH.
    OK! Hey this is great news. This guy is happy with the current setup so I'm going to leave it alone, but for next time, I know. You totally rock, Darren!

I haven't used 1&1 personally but their web mail must be rockin' if all these folks want to keep it.

Heh, I think they want to keep it because they're comfortable with the way it is. I find people get comfy with what they have and the idea of change is too painful for them. Good news is, you learn lots about different registrars and how they do things. Always handy intel.