Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Brainstorming a new Front Page

Default Brainstorming a new Front Page

Thanks for taking a look at this post, and helping me out. I'm trying to make some good decisions up front, and I hope you can help me do that.

I'm in charge of designing and implementing a new website, which will serve as both the pitch and the product. What I have to decide, is how I want the new website too look, and what the best way to sell my product is.

Now, in the past, I've relied on the long sales page to promote and sell my online products. This has proven effective for me, especially because my main audience is middle-aged women (we teach people to write novels.)

However, I've never been enamored with these pages. The inevitably seem gaudy and pushy. This time around, I am hoping to try something different... something simpler.

I was browsing the web, looking for promising website layouts, and I think I found a web layout that I might want to try.

The website for google glass, (no link, I'm still new) is clean, heavy on pictures, and fluid. I was thinking that I might try for a similar look. However, my primary experience at developing websites has been almost exclusively on the wordpress platform. Would I be able to do something like this on my own website? Would it be possible within wordpress? How much design time am I looking at here.

P.s. I've worked extensively with php, html and css. I have a little experience with javascript and jquery and I am getting better with them.

Hi and welcome!

First comb through some WordPress themes and see if you can find something similar. If not (and you don't want to do it yourself) you can always hire someone on oDesk or Elance. You can get a quote on those sites without a commitment.

So the answer is YES you can do it on WP. How easily and how much it will cost depends on the avenue you take. Maybe someone here can give you a jump start on some themes that are similar to what you want. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Thanks Lisa. I do in fact have a theme that I think might get me most of the way: Woothemes' Canvas. However, I am worried about the effect that makes the pages on that site scroll. I'm pretty sure that it is a javascript function, and I'm not super comfortable writing it...

maybe I'll take this conversation over to the coding forum. Thanks for your help.