Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Its the end of the month!? Backup Day! (Really Boring Day)

Default Its the end of the month!? Backup Day! (Really Boring Day)

I don't know about you, but I back up my data from my website twice a month. and the info on my Computer backed up as often as possible really. So like once a week, or maybe twice a week, if I decide there is a ton of new important stuff on my computer.

I backup all my data on to two external hard drives, one under lock and key kept at the bank. this one holds all the confidental, expensive data.

and another hd that holds my accounts recievables, and other tax and day-to-day on goings.

I also use a combination of cloud storage, and other online backups so i can keep a... carbon copy, of everything and access it from anywhere in the world.

How do you protect your data?

For my WordPress blog I use UpdraftPlus. It automatically backs up my entire blog weekly into cloud storage. It emails me notifications on success/failure. Then occasionally I check my cloud storage to make sure it really is working and that I can retrieve the data.

For my blog, I use BackupBuddy to produce a daily backup that is uploaded to cloud storage automatically. I check the cloud storage once in a while to ensure the backup is successful.

For my computer, I backup my data to an external hard drive that is located on my desk. From there I also backup the data to cloud storage and once in awhile I'll backup to a portable hard drive that is stored offsite. All external hard drives are kept "cold" until I need to access the data, which helps protect against malware. The hard drives are also encrypted so if the drives were stolen my personal data is secured.
    Last edited by TechieGuy; 03-31-2014 at 12:18 PM.

I have cloud storage that backs up my computer automatically. Also, I have another computer that I use as a back-up computer in every sense. Once I back up my files onto my computer, it gets backed up on the cloud and move to the other computer as well.

I backup most days to USB keys and cloud storage. I need to get BackUpBuddy soon so I can take weekly backups in the event of a security compromise.

This is a great thread and great reminder for everyone! I'm old school and do manual backups of my databases. Something just doesn't sit well with me and automated stuff. Call me paranoid but it's the truth. And for my computer I have one of those Hitachi storage devices that backs up every 30 minutes.

I have a Synology network drive to which I back up my laptop (primary computer) and Dell XPS 13. My desktop has an external WD drive. I just use Windows 7 backup.

I do a lot of my work on OneDrive and Google Drive so have some back up there by default.

I also copy my basic data folders weekly with Windows Explorer to the Synology drive so that I have easy access to them if needed.

Until recently I really neglected back up but it is so critical.
    Good Success!

Douglas County Master Gardeners
    "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
    Maya Angelou

Well I feel I am clearly lagging behind in the back up department. I really should get a decent external HDD... something like a 1TB sata drive, with FAT 32 formatting. Yep, that's on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by TechieGuy View Post
    For my blog, I use BackupBuddy to produce a daily backup that is uploaded to cloud storage automatically. I check the cloud storage once in a while to ensure the backup is successful.
    I just got BuB too and I am pushing the updates to Amazon S3. Do you do the full back up very often? I take it you are only backing up the database daily? I actually make design tweaks quite often so usually I feel it's better for me to take the full back up.

I haven't actually migrated any sites yet with BuB but I have been doing it a lot with another plugin so I can see how BackUpBuddy is similar. I bought the developer licence, which is pretty expensive but totally necessary. Unlimited number of sites.