Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Do you trust an expert's opinion over your own?

Default Do you trust an expert's opinion over your own?

Have you ever sought advice from an expert, but your gut told you to do something different? Do you automatically trust an "expert" because of their status and success?

I sometimes struggle with this. I wonder when to follow their advice or just go with my gut especially in relation to having a website/online business.
    Misti's Fonts | Fonts by Misti Hammers: mistifonts.com

Well whenever I am troubleshooting a problem that is tech related, I generally look for a consensus. I try and find many people that agree that a certain procedure is the correct fix. Hopefully in that consensus are a couple of experts as well, and perhaps even a vendor/publisher themselves. So the rule of thumb I go by is to try and make an educated decision from multiple sources.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    Well whenever I am troubleshooting a problem that is tech related, I generally look for a consensus. I try and find many people that agree that a certain procedure is the correct fix. Hopefully in that consensus are a couple of experts as well, and perhaps even a vendor/publisher themselves. So the rule of thumb I go by is to try and make an educated decision from multiple sources.
    That's a really good way of looking at it!

Its how I fix I.T. problems in my day to day.

Have you ever sought advice from an expert, but your gut told you to do something different? Do you automatically trust an "expert" because of their status and success?
    Of course it depends a lot on what kind of expert you are talking to and how much trust you have in them. But no matter what, If my "gut" says no, I don't do it. I do a little more research.

One of the most important pieces of advice I share on my financial site is this: if you do not understand it, don't do it.

YOUR GUT IS AN EXPERT!
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Of course it depends a lot on what kind of expert you are talking to and how much trust you have in them. But no matter what, If my "gut" says no, I don't do it. I do a little more research.

One of the most important pieces of advice I share on my financial site is this: if you do not understand it, don't do it.

YOUR GUT IS AN EXPERT!
    Well said, James!

I believe you have to be your own man/woman. If you want to make big you have to have what it takes. If you follow conventional wisdom you are likely to achieve average results. Furthermore, experts are likely to give you safe advice. This is great but conventional wisdom is that you cannot earn big if you don't take risk.

There are times in life you have to take risks and follow your dreams. This is the case for young men and women. As you get older you may get into preservation mode. Saying that, if you can test both ideas you would want to do that first instead of diving head on.
    Last edited by TCI; 04-05-2014 at 02:40 PM.
    Talking about car insurance prices, savings, insurers and coverage

Quote Originally Posted by TCI View Post
    I believe you have to be your own man/woman. If you want to make big you have to have what it takes. If you follow conventional wisdom you are likely to achieve average results. Furthermore, experts are likely to give you safe advice. This is great but conventional wisdom is that you cannot earn big if you don't take risk.

There are times in life you have to take risks and follow your dreams. This is the case for young men and women. As you get older you may get into preservation mode. Saying that, if you can test both ideas you would want to do that first instead of diving head on.
    Very good advice

I agree with the consensus thought.

I consider myself an expert in my field. and so do many of my clients who spent money with me. It is also a full time job.

What makes me a better expert though is to never stop learning and listening to what other experts have to say.
    Like Bill at Facebook and Twitter.

and now Bill's Blog.