Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Vlogging and Blogging

Default Vlogging and Blogging

The thread 'Video Content vs. Text ' made me think of a question...

So, I have been vlogging some on youtube, but I am also wanting to start a blog. I know many people have both. I was thinking about maybe doing reviews and tutorials/tips, etc on my blog and keep my vlog more about topics related to my niche (like my personal experiences and views discussed in video format).

Basically: blog= more technical and practical. vlog= more personal opinionated.

So for those of you that have both a blog and vlog, how do you know when to write a post or to film a video? Do you have a pattern or does it depend on the topic?

Thanks in advance!

That's a good question. I can't say I have a defined system and I definitely have overlap, but I try to do a lot of my in-depth tutorials on YouTube.

For example, with the YouTube/G+ Integration, I felt that would have been a long, long, long blog post and it was just easier to show via video and illustrate all the changes. Same thing with my SEO video last year. So if I feel I can make a complex topic more simple through video, I'll go with video.

I would say it definitely depends on the topic for me. And sometimes I just want to talk and I feel like I can express myself better with video so I just sit down and start recording. Sometimes it's just easier to press record and I definitely think it depends on my mood, topic, etc. lol

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    That's a good question. I can't say I have a defined system and I definitely have overlap, but I try to do a lot of my in-depth tutorials on YouTube.

For example, with the YouTube/G+ Integration, I felt that would have been a long, long, long blog post and it was just easier to show via video and illustrate all the changes. Same thing with my SEO video last year. So if I feel I can make a complex topic more simple through video, I'll go with video.

I would say it definitely depends on the topic for me. And sometimes I just want to talk and I feel like I can express myself better with video so I just sit down and start recording. Sometimes it's just easier to press record and I definitely think it depends on my mood, topic, etc. lol
    I actually prefer video tutorials over written ones..but I can explain things better when I type then when I speak. So I figure it is better to make a well-written tutorial than a not-so-good video tutorial lol

I feel like I can always convert them to video later
    Misti's Fonts | Fonts by Misti Hammers: mistifonts.com

I haven't done many videos. But to date my videos have been a graphical representation of some step-by-step instructions. I usually put both a link to the video and the written instructions in the same post. Some people are readers and some and viewers.

Obviously depending on your niche, and possibly more-so your audience demographic, may sway you more heavily on one direction than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    I haven't done many videos. But to date my videos have been a graphical representation of some step-by-step instructions. I usually put both a link to the video and the written instructions in the same post. Some people are readers and some and viewers.

Obviously depending on your niche, and possibly more-so your audience demographic, may sway you more heavily on one direction than the other.
    Yeah I think it will take experimentation will help me determine what is best.

I find videos and info graphics more enticing than those that are written in just plain text. For me, it is more easier to understand, and it is my preference. It shows rather than tell, which I find important.

There is no luck except where there is discipline | 12BET
    - Irish Proverb

I disagree a little bit. I do prefer videos if they include a lot of demonstrations however, if they don't I find it difficult to keep up with someone talking and actually prefer written step by step instructions. I think everybody learns slightly differently but as long as you include plenty of demos in your videos then I think they would be fine

Quote Originally Posted by JennyCo View Post
    I disagree a little bit. I do prefer videos if they include a lot of demonstrations however, if they don't I find it difficult to keep up with someone talking and actually prefer written step by step instructions. I think everybody learns slightly differently but as long as you include plenty of demos in your videos then I think they would be fine
    I agree with you. I have watched some video tutorials where they they talk too fast and I can't keep up! My problem is that I am not so good at explaining things out loud. It's like there is a big disconnection between my thoughts and my words lol.

Anyway, I will work on it

With video you can always pause and rewind. Whenever I watch a video demo I almost always pause it and sometimes I'll go cross referencing some remark they have made by searching the internet for a bit more intel. So a five minute video can often take me an hour to digest because I want to know exactly what they are telling me by finding out more and really breaking things down.
    Last edited by Darren; 03-31-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: iPad and spelling!