Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Wordpress Vs Website: a little bit of confusion

Default Wordpress Vs Website: a little bit of confusion

I want to build a website for a local youth sport club, something simple and after spending some time on the internet (actually several hours) it seems that one of the way to go is to buy a template and customize it.

I am going to try and do my best however, the place where I have been looking to get the template has multiple choices and I am not sure which one I should choose.

The website I want to create is mainly informative (5-8 pages), yet the children wish to have like weekly updates about new games scheduled, the score, their pictures,... and so on, but nothing complicated like a database or a forum.

I wonder what is the difference between a full website and a wordpress template. None of us is expert so the easiest way to update the pages with simple effort is preferred. We will buy a domain name with a .org extension.

Robert

Hi Robert

WordPress is a content management system for websites. So a WordPress site is a website.

You can make a WordPress site as simple or as complex as you need it to be. No matter how many pages, you start with a theme. There are free themes that come with WordPress and paid ones. But it's up to you on how many pages you want.

As far as notifications, were you planning to do that via email? If so AWeber, has a blog broadcast service that will automatically broadcast your new posts. It can broadcast as they launch or you can set it to go out after X amount of new posts.

WordPress equates to flexibility so you are in good hands. Hope that helps!

A little of it has to do with your budget of course as well as the size of your group.

For a newbie, the best thing you can do is to follow Lisa's advice and adopt WordPress. If you buy your hosting from a major player like Dreamweaver or Hostgator, they will have what is called a one click install (actually it is a little more complicated, you have to enter your user name and password for example). WordPress is very flexible so you can set up your pages any way you want.

If your group is small, the free themes with WordPress are fine and you can just send out email notices as you want from your email program. If you are a larger group or need to get assurance from members that they want to decide whether or not to receive mail you may want to go with Aweber as Lisa says (it costs about $19.00 a month). If you have a decent budget and want a professional theme check out Genesis and one of the media responsive themes like Prose. You will see links to their service on many of the Babble or 2CreateAWebsite.com pages.
    Good Success!

Douglas County Master Gardeners
    "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
    Maya Angelou

Hi,
    I use Wordpress for a content management site. If you want to use the site for information only, then you can just start a site on wordpress.com. This has a lot of community backing and some good follow options (people can easily subscribe to your site). You could use the blog posts for your newsletter, and create some pages for more static content.
    The most confusing thing I found when using Wordpress was working out the difference between using the .com or .org version!
    I used the .org version through a web host after a month of using the .com version. I had to import my old version and at first found it very lonely (because there's no community), because you have to do your traffic yourself. In your situation, you probably already have your traffic base so you're more interested in uploading content quickly. A blog post takes less then 5 minutes. Images are a pain in the ... to upload though. It takes some practice. What is the name of your site?

Thanks guys!

So you'd go with wordpress, because it's more flexible, right?

But how difficult it is, or what software do I need, in case I buy a wordpress template and want to customize it?

Also, what is the difference between a Joomla and CMS?

Taking the last question first, CMS stands for content management system. Joomla is one program commonly used for a CMS.

Joomla is very flexible and powerful, used by a lot of business sites. You can add a blog to a Joomla site with an extension. WordPress was designed first as a blog platform so works very well in that capacity. However, whenever you write an article you can choose to publish it as either a "page" or a "blog post." So it works very well as a CMS as well.

There are many reasons for most people to favor WordPress unless you know you have commercial needs that might be better served by Joomla or some other system. Even if you create a basic site you will most often end up adding on a blog anyway and it is easier to have it available from the beginning. WordPress is extremely popular, easy to use and well supported. You do not need to know anything about programming to use it (although as is true with any program, it is helpful to know a little basic html/css and even php for specific modifications).

Yes, one of the reasons for using WordPress is flexibility. Because it is so popular, there are plugins of all kinds, mostly free, to do almost anything you want (picture galleries, blocking spam, sending sitemaps to Google, etc.).

You do not need to buy any software to use WordPress. Buy a domain registration and hosting. Any good host has a simple installation of WordPress that automates the installation. You work the program by logging in to your dashboard which has very easy to use pages to enter your text, images, etc.

You can buy themes and some of them are very helpful. Lisa and many others recommend the Genesis themes and they are good, but the default themes that come with WordPress are really pretty good too to get started. You can change themes with just a click or two to download a theme and activate it.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
    Maya Angelou

I absolutely love WordPress, it is an amazing piece of software. My issues was understanding the databases and setting up te back end. I feel I have really taken to it and I truly now see it as an opportunity to create art... it is like a canvas to me and the mouse is my brush. The possibilities are endless but you must take security very seriously. A free or bad WP plugin is like leaving the keys in the ignition of your car, so be warned.

A free or bad WP plugin is like leaving the keys in the ignition of your car, so be warned.
    An excellent point. I agree with those who suggest keeping plugins to a minimum. Not only are some of them dangerous (there are a bazillion of them out there), many are buggy and quite a few conflict with each other. The problem is that so many of them sound so enticing. My general attitude is that I do not install any until I discover a real need for them.
    Good Success!

Maya Angelou

Thank you very much guys!! It really helped a lot! I checked some videos on youtube about wordpress and they were really helpful. In fact I decided to go with WP.

However, while watching those videos I noticed that a good website requires a good layout and nice images so I went back on google and started looking for free images but I ended up having a lot of confusion between copyrights, royalties, free images,....

So I started to wonder what would be the best place to find free images (and I mean free of copyrights, thus without violating the law for using them but at the same time without investing money for a hobbist's website) and, whether there are or not cheap places where I can buy a monthly or an annual subscription and have access to professional images.

Robert

P.S.
    I think I'm getting addicted to website/wordpress and I like it!

I googled royalty free images and saw a lot of good ones.

thanks Josh,

i did the same, but royalty free does not always mean free images; sometimes they ask for one time payments, or limit those pics to non-profit organization (501c3). also, it seems that really nice images are expensive, that`s way i was hoping for somebody to suggest me a place where i can subscribe and download the few pics that i need.

is there any or nobody has encountered my same problem?

...is there any or nobody has encountered my same problem?
    Everyone has, and half of them are watching this thread to see if a new solution comes up!

There are some free ones that have a few good images; many people get pics from morguefile.com. Quite a few people use the paid services you mention. I do not use them so others can recommend what they like, but I can make a suggestion or two that will help you out.

One of easiest and important ways to get images, free ones at that, is to use screen copies. The snipping tool (under Windows/accessories) works just fine. Cut something from your screen, paste it into a graphics program and save. You can't snip images on other sites or anything of course, but use your imagination a bit and you will come up with many useful images. For example, if you tell people to search for a topic, write that into your Google search box and take a snip of it. Voila! There you are with an image for any topic you can name.

Another way to do it is to create a background that relates to your theme and make little posters. This is easy, relatively, and has the advantage of being something you can use over and over. For example, I have a site that offers "top tips" on a certain theme. I made a small image of a top for the upper left corner and wrote "Top Tip:" after it in large print. I used a colorful font, made a box with a coordinated background color (all of this is simple, basic html) and saved the code. Any time I want to use it I just paste the code, add a little text for the content and there is something as useful as an image, perhaps better in many cases. On another site I created a background that looks like a yellow legal page with a similar effect.

There are many other things you can do as well, some as simple as making ample use of lists or numbers that substitute for needing so many images. For example, on one site I use numbers that are larger than usual in a special font. I use it somewhat as a list maker but where I have major points that I want to write a little more about—say a paragraph. I use paragraph tags rather than the list tag, number them with these special numbers, that are also in a different color (one that ties into the theme look), and have what is in a way a series of small images.

Often these approaches are better than images as such. They can add color and break up the text visually, while keeping people's minds on your subject matter rather than being distracted by an image.

Images can get expensive, so even if you do find a good source that is not too costly, using techniques like this can save you a lot of time and money as well as making your site look better.
    Good Success!

Maya Angelou

Joomla is also great! Every one is Always going on about Wordpress, and joomla is hardly ever mentioned., there are others you can try.

I look at it like this to keep it simple: There are 3 major players in the CMS market. Drupal, Joomla, and WordPress. I have built sites on all of them. But there is a reason for WP and why it has taken over the market share of websites on the web. At the end of day, people are going to suggest what they are most comfortable with, even if they haven't tried the others. Here's my insight on the matter.

Drupal - to me is the most powerful, but in many cases is overkill. It is also the most difficult to learn

Joomla - also is very good for CMS, but it a pain to theme for and customize at times.

WordPress - is originally a blogging platform, but is used as a CMS. Easy to use, easy to customize, almost endless possibilities. :-)

With WordPress you can do just about anything. I've built E-commerce sites, blogs, dealership sites, forums, you name it. All on WordPress. Because of it's flexibility, some of my clients don't even know that I used WP on their websites. And they don't care. They are actually happy when they ask me to add something to their site, thinking it's going to cost an arm and a leg and I tell them it's only $20 because I built their website using WP. Compared to the others it is the easiest to use and best of all, the community over at wordpress.org is great for support. No other CMS has a community as large and active as this. From newbie to veteran, you'll always have support. With another question answered every couple of seconds, I don't see how you could go wrong. Another benefit of using WP is that it allows for super easy expansion. For instance, if you decide to add a shopping cart to your website, it can be done for free in just a couple of minutes, although a bit longer to set up. Also, if your web designer happens to go MIA a couple of years down the road, there is always another WP expert that can take over and will already be familiar with your websites structure. So there is my 2 1/2 cents on that.

For Images: A great resource is flickr.com/search. After searching your image, click on the license button at the top and filter for Commercial License. Also, PhotoPin.com is great for blog images, etc.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by DesignsByTrey; 05-30-2014 at 01:24 PM.

If you want free images, here's a blog post I bookmarked several days ago and still have not exhausted the potential it has, I doubt if I ever will. http://blog.bufferapp.com/free-image...=weekly_digest