How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: adding content to existing page ? or creating a new one ?

Default adding content to existing page ? or creating a new one ?

So i have a home page that is ranked #19 right now for my main keyword. its a good site PR4 with good content . my question is like so :

i want to add content to the home page that is optimized for my keyword. but i saw one of my competitors created a new page with an optimized content for the same keyword and now he ranks #12 and #11 with two different pages. one home page and the other is the content optimized page .

should i create a new page with the optimized content and try to outrank my home page ?

or should i add the content to the home page and try to out rank everyone with one page ?

or a third option is to create a summarize content on the home page with a link to " read more " to the second new page that will have the whole article this way adding content to both pages with the hopes of ranking well for both.

any idea on this subject is welcome thanks
    Yellow lab
    The cutest Labrador retriever site ever !

Nir, I think the only way you will know which will get better ranking is to test it. Honestly I think it could go either way. But I think the bottom line is that if you have more content to add you should make a move so that Google can index it and start sending you traffic.

If it were my choice, I would go with a somewhat modified version what I think you mean by your third option. You could improve your existing page a bit with changes to enhance the addition of two or three additional pages.

New pages could grow out of key ideas on the original page and be linked by keywords on to further information about those topics.This may be pretty much what you are suggesting. I am just thinking that I would not want to leave the impression that the original page was incomplete without the linked page(s). One additional page is really not enough to let your home page serve as an introductory page.

I would do that unless you want to add a major amount of content in a way that clearly sets it apart as an introductory page. I do this at times by writing something like, "There are five steps to getting out of debt." Then I state that I will summarize each of them briefly on this page and then explain each one in detail in a separate article. In doing this I would have very clear links.
    Good Success!

"If your content doesn’t drive activity or conversations, don’t expect it to drive links." —Tom Schmitz, Search Engine Land

It's always best to modify your currently ranked page to better suit the search results you are looking for. Try to improve on the seo methods you currently have in place and see what minor adjustments could be needed. Starting a new hompage can be 50/50 results.

I would go with third option. Add more content to existing page which adds value to existing and create another page with more technical details on the subject. The simple thing to create the content is, do voice conversation with someone unaware of the topic, explain him the topic and note the all the questions he ask and give the answers of those in your page content. May be add some pictures, embed video on the topic can boost you to first page.

I wonder how far back people would go to modify and improve their pages.....

I could add more to several of my pages, I have more good content........ is it worth it for me to go back or write a new page and link..

What is your opinion, please

For what it is worth here is what I try to do (it is hard to keep up though). I try to use blog posts to write contemporary and news associated content and write pages for solid well researched content that should have permanent value.

My pages are all updated as I have time and improved with visual material as well as written content. You never know which article will be of interest to any particular visitor. If I have a page that has become dated because of changing times I will put an informational box at the top saying that I am no longer updating that page (for example I no longer recommend Thesis except for developers so I am not using or discussing it further for the most part).

I am trying now to work harder at including links in my blog posts to various relevant pages. This also requires me to keep them updated.

There are three reasons I see for this approach.
    • It is easier to update an older page than to write a new one, it takes little time.
    • It takes a lot of time to write a new article so keeping an old one up to date makes sense—it will look new to visitors and that includes the majority of people coming to the site.
    • It is not a good idea to have outdated pages on your site because they will detract from the site's value (you never know which page will be the first one people visit).

I don't know what others do, and I don't know of any statistical studies if any on this topic, but this is my thinking.
    Good Success!

"If your content doesn’t drive activity or conversations, don’t expect it to drive links." —Tom Schmitz, Search Engine Land

Thanks for those ideas.

I am going to get my content curation tool and start with each page to see if there is curated content to add, or... if I can glean something to add to each page and at the same time attempt to improve the linking to other pages, which I have ignored so far.

I try to get some pics on each page and a related video as I make them....

Perhaps I have to review the long tail keywords and improve those also....

It may be worth it to make a page review check list just for the purpose of upgrading the whole page...... hmmmmmm

Hey Nir,

I would suggest you consider this.

Will adding what you are thinking about adding to your front page add value to that page? If there was no such thing as google, or search engines, and there was only you generating your own traffic to your site, would you add that content to your home page, or would you make another page?

If you think it is something that would best be placed on your home page, and you would want more people to see it then again maybe it's a good place for it to be. On top of your home page ranking for your main keyword, it's also probably ranking for other keywords similar to that one. So this new information could reach even more eyes. I guess if you add a partial bit, with a link "read more here" or what not, that could be strong also.

I also wanted to add this as a side note:

One of my sites got hit by Panda 4.0 hard, and then got hit again afew weeks after! In response all I have done is to fill in older pages with more content to make them stronger. I've also upped my social media game, but mainly have been adding more content to fill in pages that I thought were light.

My google rankings didn't change for months after Panda 4.0, but just a few weeks after I started filling in a couple of my older pages with new content, my site has recovered a bit. Definitely no where near where it was pre-Panda 4.0 but I have hope that it may be possible if I continue to add quality newer content to some of my older thinner pages. (I'm also going to be rolling out new blog posts, as well as large 30 day guide of sorts) But for now I've only added more content to older pages.

If my recovery has started to happen due to my thickening of content on some of my pages, then I imagine in turn this could possibly strengthen any site whether it was hit by an algorithm or not. Just something to think about.

Overall though, I would suggest you think about how it would best serve your audience, and contribute to the overall flow of your site 1st, because google is sort of unpredictable. If it makes your people happy, google might be able to spot this with the signals they send and in turn whatever page you end up placing the info on could benefit.