How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Anti-Distraction/Overload Thread

Default The Anti-Distraction/Overload Thread

I'm always reading how social media and being constantly connected to devices is distracting us more than ever before. Our attention spans are worse and it keeps us from staying focused. It really is a serious issue and I see the impact in my own life from time to time. I've gotten better though.

So I thought I'd start a thread for people to give tips and suggestions for what they do to minimize it.

1) I completely unplug.

Some evenings (I'm not disciplined enough to do this every evening), at about 6pm, I disconnect from everything until the next morning. It felt incredibly strange at first (partially because I'm a night owl) but I feel so refreshed in the morning.

2) I disable as many notifications as possible.

Do I really need to know when someone has replied to a tweet? Pinned my image? No. It can wait till I manually check it. Every app wants you to be notified of every single blessed event and it's too much. I try to turn off notifications that are not necessary.

3) I go exercise.

As much as I hate exercising, it does help give me mental clarity and I feel so much better after it's over.

How do you deal with the distractions to help stay focused in this tech obsessed world we live in?

Agree with all the above, except I usually "work" about 16 hours daily. I get the urge to fiddle with one thing or another. I meant to take this weekend off but ended up fiddling around in WP and ended up making some huge progress.. so I was pleased I did that.. but for the most part I do try to stay away from notifications, messages etc..

i need to get back into exercise, and the ironic thing is I've worn out my running shoes! Guess I'll be doing stretches/yoga in the meantime.

One thing I DO NOT do is watch TV. I'd rather have the internet distract me than the TV. At least online I'm always learning new things whereas television (for me anyway) seems to take something away from me.

Time for bed. Still tired from last night. Wonder if I can take some time off tomorrow? In theory I would like to unplug and chill out, but I get bored and agitated when I know there is work to be done.

I can relate Lisa.

I've gone back to reading paperback books. No tablet, no computer. The paperback reading experience seems to help me better cope with unplugging. So sitting in a quiet place engaged by the books, makes the importance of the digital world disappear.

Going for walks will do the trick as well.

Not sure I can do without the tube, Darren but that's admirable you can. I have to say I'm not a huge TV watcher but that is my guilty pleasure before bed (which they say is the WORST time to watch. lol)

Welcome socialdasher, yes taking walks is also good. There's a beautiful park with a nice lake near my house where I go bike riding and also take walks. I've slacked as of late though.

I am horrible with this. Horrible, horrible, horrible. The majority of my "work" time is spent browsing social media, website babble, youtube videos, my website traffic stats, adsense...oh, and then repeating the process 5x, then proceeding to write ONE PARAGRAPH on my article and then start the whole process over.

I think I spend easily 5-6 hours a day on non-work stuff online, and a measly 1-2 hours actually working. I definitely need to work on my attention span. I swear, the internet has ruined me, lol.

That reminds me: better get back to work!

I definitely have that problem Jay!

My wife bought me a whiteboard for writing down my objectives at the start of each day. That seems to help me to focus a bit.

Maybe a daily plan will help you

I actually do have a daily plan (you have to in the world of making money online or you won't get anywhere, haha), but I just get distracted way too much.

I find that listening to some ASMR helps me concentrate. I just finished a 2500 word article that I had been procrastinating on the whole day. If I can create 2000+ word pages for my sites on a daily/bi-daily basis I'll be on track to finishing everything I need to do before May.

But the mornings are always horrible. I can never work efficiently during the day time, but when the sun is finally gone my brain starts to go on overdrive. I think it's because I have 6 people in my house so I'm getting bothered until they go to sleep. I ask for some time to myself but no one in my house takes making money online seriously. They think it's a joke Ah well.

Don't worry. They'll take it seriously when the serious dough starts rolling in!

Notifications are really annoying. I never have them on. Actually, when I have things to do I am all fired up and I can forget about everything. I like working at night. Somehow there is an urgency in your actions at night. You have the feeling of getting all done and go to bad, even though you know you are going to be there until almost morning some nights. Instead, I take a long break lunch time. I go out for a walk or run and eat my lunch, talk to people and deal with whatever needs attention. This works better since I can't do any of them at night.

It is completely opposite when I haven't a clue what to do next. I constantly look for distractions. I look for inspirations or new ideas. I start going into eating binges and start gaining weight. I'd rather be doing something than having too much time to kill in my hand.

By the way, what is TV? It has been ages I haven't watched one.

I'll just throw this sentence here, as it describes my huge problem with distractions:
    "Facebook is like a fridge. You keep opening and closing it every few minutes to see if there's anything good in it"

Quote Originally Posted by socialdasher View Post
    I can relate Lisa.

I've gone back to reading paperback books. No tablet, no computer. The paperback reading experience seems to help me better cope with unplugging. So sitting in a quiet place engaged by the books, makes the importance of the digital world disappear.

Going for walks will do the trick as well.
    Yes reading a paperback is a nice thing to do, especially upon waking. You can't beat the smell of paper pulp pages in the morning. "New Book" is a great scent and a reminder of a bygone age when things could wait till later.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Not sure I can do without the tube, Darren but that's admirable you can. I have to say I'm not a huge TV watcher but that is my guilty pleasure before bed (which they say is the WORST time to watch. lol)
    I take it back... I watch infomercials before bed sometimes, laying on the sofa and listening to the presenters prattle on about things... Sometimes I pick up tips for presenting etc, like this steam cleaner I keep seeing advertised. I don't know what it is about this particular product but it really pushes my buttons in a positive way and I want this thing... Been daydreaming about all the amazing cleaning techniques like there's some cathartic release to be had somehow LOL.

maybe I need to go for a walk down by the lake too!

Quote Originally Posted by mayabi View Post
    I'll just throw this sentence here, as it describes my huge problem with distractions:
    "Facebook is like a fridge. You keep opening and closing it every few minutes to see if there's anything good in it"
    Best summary EVER of social media. Can I borrow that? Truly, you've captured my exact sentiments.

I'd like to add this on the subject of social media and the discipline it takes to stay away from it: When there's always cookies in the jar, where's the fun in cookies?

Quote Originally Posted by mayabi View Post
    LOL! That sounds like me but for Google AdSense instead. Or my WordPress Stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I take it back... I watch infomercials before bed sometimes, laying on the sofa and listening to the presenters prattle on about things... Sometimes I pick up tips for presenting etc, like this steam cleaner I keep seeing advertised. I don't know what it is about this particular product but it really pushes my buttons in a positive way and I want this thing... Been daydreaming about all the amazing cleaning techniques like there's some cathartic release to be had somehow LOL.

maybe I need to go for a walk down by the lake too!
    But wait, there's more! Order in the next ten minutes and we will send you steam scrubby, as a gift to you! Return the steam cleaner, for any reason, and steam scrubby is yours to keep! That's right you get the Steam Cleaner, its 500 accessories (a million dollar value) your 100 page guide to effective steam cleaning and scrubby. This million dollar value for just 3 easy payments of $33.33. But wait, call in the next ten minutes and we will knock off one payment. That's right, call in the next ten minutes, and this million dollar value could be yours for 2 easy payments of $33.33. But wait, use coupon code "cleannow" and we will double your order! That's right. Two Steam Cleaners. One for your home and one for your car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast