Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to drive traffic to a new blog in 2014? Is SEO dead?

Default How to drive traffic to a new blog in 2014? Is SEO dead?

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Website Babble and I need help. My WordPress blog went live a month ago and I am struggling to drive traffic to the my blog. When it comes to blogging, does the age of your blog matter? The older the blog, the more links you can get to your blog? As for SEO, is it dead? I am using the All in One SEO plugin but I cannot see my blog in search engines for my keywords.

What did I do in the last month?

-10 posts
    - Shared on social media -Facebook, Twitter, Google+,Pinterest ,Instagram, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, digg.com
    -Joined Triberr.com
    -Submitted sitemap to Google and Bing

Am I doing anything wrong? or should I be patient? I am getting some traffic from Facebook and Twitter but that's it and I also have a feeling most of my clicks are from my family and friends

Great question.

You're not doing anything wrong per say, but you do have to adjust your expectations accordingly in this new world we live in.

The Internet is immensely saturated and people are inundated with new content in their feeds. So it takes a lot more to get their attention than it would have years ago. Not to mention SEO has changed so ranking a site is more challenging -- especially if you haven't narrowed your site down enough.

How specific is your content? For example, health is not a niche. It's a topic. But diets for heart attack survivors is a more defined niche that could be easier to rank for than a generic health site. So having a niche site will help you get more organic traffic from Google.

Second, how much content you write doesn't always matter. You could have a blog with 5 posts that get shared like crazy and get more benefit than a site with 100 posts that no one reads or shares. Sharing on social media is only effective if people are engaging with the content and visiting your site.

Today, it's about using multiple avenues to drive traffic and not just relying on Google. Do you use YouTube at all? Also, do you have an email list? AWeber and other services have a broadcast feature that allows you to email a snippet to your subscribers. This will keep people coming back.

Treat Google traffic as a bonus, and yes, age of site (especially if it has a lot of backlinks) can make a HUGE difference.

Being successful today requires a much more strategic approach than it did when I started simply because it is harder to get traffic. So for example, if you are trying to build up a following on your email list, you may decide to start a YouTube channel where you publish Monday, Wednesday and Friday on topics in your niche.

Each day could have a purpose. Let's say you have a eating healthy blog. Monday may be for sharing a superfood tip, Wednesday could be a Q&A day and Friday could be for new recipes.

Now, more importantly add a call to action at the end or during the video. Link to your subscribe page in your description and instruct people to subscribe. Get people on your list. Now you are building an audience for your blog.

And finally, BE CONSISTENT. Try your strategy for several months and check to see if it's working. This will be easy to do because with AWeber you can add tracking ID's to your sign up form so you can see how many people are joining your list from your videos.

This is just an example of the discipline I believe it takes to get started today. But you can't just rely on Google.

Hello mamasbeautydiary! What is Tribber exactly??

There is no luck except where there is discipline | 12BET
    - Irish Proverb

Hi Lisa,

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. My blog is about my mother’s beauty diary which she passed on to me 10 years ago when I moved to London. I had her diary for 10 years but forgot all about it until I moved house last year. Her diary is packed with ancient beauty home remedies. I am about to hit 30 in the next few months and I decided to ditch all my expensive skincare products and follow my mother’s footsteps. I understand this topic is not really a “niche” but I am extremely passionate about natural beauty home remedies and I strongly believe you don’t need to spend money on expensive products to have beautiful skin.

I don’t have an email list and I don’t use YouTube at the moment. I have been thinking of building a list but was not sure where to start. I will definitely give AWeber a try. As for YouTube, I am not sure where to start. I love your YouTube videos and I was wondering if you have a video on how to get started on YouTube?

Thank you so much for your help Lisa.

Best Regards,

Vanesha

Hi Patricia,
    Triberr is a free blogging network where you can share your latest posts. Every blogger has an inner circle, a tribe of readers who consistently read, comment and share your posts. I've met some great people on Triberr and they always share my posts. It's a great way to meet people who are interested in your niche. There are other blogging communities such as BlogEngage and BizSugar but I am not sure if they are free to join.

Your niche sounds lovely. There are many fashion bloggers out there. You can start reading some of them. This will give you an idea what is popular and what people share. Then you can comment on those blogs and be seen. I don't mean to discourage you but it could take as long as 6 months hard work before you can expect a decent traffic. Concentrate on your niche and write nice articles and posts if you can. Again, you can check popular blogs and see what they are doing. There is a reason why they are popular. Then, you need to find your own unique way to stand out. One month old blog is still an infant. Looking at where you are at the SERPS every morning may be waste of time and you can use that time a bit more productive by getting on with your works regardless.
    Last edited by TCI; 03-29-2014 at 04:34 AM.

Hi mamasbeautydiary,

I can certainly relate to your current frustration and as Lisa said it's just not as easy as it once was. There are so many things you can do to gain traffic overtime but it can all be very overwhelming. I think you should research where your target audience spend most of their time. Narrow it down to 2 or 3 and focus everything on those rather than spreading yourself out far and wide.

For example, Pinterest's audience is made up of mainly women so marketing your blog and products suited for ladies there would work great for you. All social networks aren't created equal and depending on what you have to offer, you'll find varied success. Youtube is also a good starting point. Search for "create a youtube account" in Google and you'll see the link to get started. Google's Youtube blog is also a powerful resource for getting started.

Its a long-term journey. Find the joy in traveling it rather than aligning your joys and satisfaction with web traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by mamasbeautydiary View Post
    Hi Patricia,
    Triberr is a free blogging network where you can share your latest posts. Every blogger has an inner circle, a tribe of readers who consistently read, comment and share your posts. I've met some great people on Triberr and they always share my posts. It's a great way to meet people who are interested in your niche. There are other blogging communities such as BlogEngage and BizSugar but I am not sure if they are free to join.
    I suppose it is like tumblr? Blogging and social media in one platform?

There is no luck except where there is discipline | 12BET
    - Irish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by patricialee83 View Post
    I suppose it is like tumblr? Blogging and social media in one platform?
    Triberr seems to be more social than Tumblr. I know many bloggers have made many connections from using that platform alone.

Thank you for your kind message. I agree with you. It takes time and I need to be patient I am starting to get more followers on Pinterest which is great. I also noticed that the more comments I post on other skincare related websites, the more followers I am getting. Thank you for your help.

I find my posts gets shared a lot more on Triberr than Tumblr. By joining the right tribes, you have the opportunity to discover some great content and meet people who are willing to help you grow your tribe. Your posts appear on the Tribal Stream for your tribe members to see and they can approve it and share it on other social media sites. If you use WordPress, then you can download the Triberr Plugin adn your posts will be updated on Triberr automatically.

I find my posts gets shared a lot more on Triberr than Tumblr. By joining the right tribes, you have the opportunity to discover some great content and meet people who are willing to help you grow your tribe. Your posts appear on the Tribal Stream for your tribe members to see and they can approve it and share it on other social media sites. If you use WordPress, then you can download the Triberr Plugin adn your posts will be updated on Triberr automatically.
    I've never used Triberr and this is what I've always wondered about those blog networks. Do you find that they also improve the traffic, engagement (comments) or do you just notice more shares? Sometimes social shares are hard to measure since you don't really know the impact of SEO, so comments, traffic and engagement would be something that is easier to measure.

Hi Lisa,

I hope you are well. At the beginning, I used to only have few tribe members share my posts. But now there's engagement and more traffic. I added my tribe members on twitter and G+ and this had a great impact on engagement.

Thanks,
    MamasBeautyDiary

Hi Lisa,

I hope you are well. At the beginning, I used to only have few tribe members share my posts. But now there's engagement and more traffic. I added my tribe members on twitter and G+ and this had a great impact on engagement.

Thanks,
    MamasBeautyDiary
    Awesome!

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Website Babble and I need help. My WordPress blog went live a month ago and I am struggling to drive traffic to the my blog. When it comes to blogging, does the age of your blog matter? The older the blog, the more links you can get to your blog? As for SEO, is it dead? I am using the All in One SEO plugin but I cannot see my blog in search engines for my keywords.

What did I do in the last month?

-10 posts
    - Shared on social media -Facebook, Twitter, Google+,Pinterest ,Instagram, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, digg.com
    -Joined Triberr.com
    -Submitted sitemap to Google and Bing

Am I doing anything wrong? or should I be patient? I am getting some traffic from Facebook and Twitter but that's it and I also have a feeling most of my clicks are from my family and friends
    You're doing the right way.. But add to those methods bookmarking submission, I think akonter bookmarks may help you a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast