How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Have you ever regretted a freelance job?

Default Have you ever regretted a freelance job?

Hi everyone,

i took a big project about 3 months ago, and planned to work on it after my daytime job and on weekends.
    It's a Wordpress + Multisite+ Buddypress website, something for the ministry of education in my country.
    At the beginning i rejected the offer, but they doubled my salary so i said yes. Now, after i've been working on it for a while, i noticed that this whole project has grown to be much bigger than i thought, some sort of a "monster" (really) and i haven't even implemented Buddypress yet. So, lots of work is still ahead of me.

I've been working on weekends, and sometimes at nights. The boss of this project is very "pushy", she wants things to be done fast, and this whole thing is taking its toll on me. I'm tired, a little depressed about it, and to be honest - i don't really enjoy working on it (with all my love for WP). I just feel as if this project is not doing any good to me (it's actually doing the opposite whenever i see a mail from them or a phone call).

I do have a full time job and i don't really "need" the extra money ( I mean, of course i do. Extra money is always a good thing, BUT not at any price).

So, i regret taking this freelance job, and i want to quit it, but i feel kinda bad- they don't know any other WP person who can replace me, they will be stuck with it until finding someone else, and they trusted me. I just really don't know how i can handle it anymore.

What do you think? Have you ever quit a freelance job you took? Do you have tips on how i can tell them that i really am sorry, but it's too much for me?

Thank you for your time,
    Maya.

Can you not outsource parts of this to either someone you know or someone on eLance?

I often bite off more than I can chew but usually stick with it and learn a lot in the process. I usually end up creating templates or code templates that I go on to reuse, recycle and repurpose.

At the risk of sounding selfish, if you can think of a way to view this project in a way that means you are doing it for you and not for them, you might feel differently about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Can you not outsource parts of this to either someone you know or someone on eLance?

I often bite off more than I can chew but usually stick with it and learn a lot in the process. I usually end up creating templates or code templates that I go on to reuse, recycle and repurpose.

At the risk of sounding selfish, if you can think of a way to view this project in a way that means you are doing it for you and not for them, you might feel differently about it.
    I cannot outsource this project, because i don't know anyone who can do it. I never tried eLance, and since the whole project is in Hebrew i doubt that i can find anyone there.
    You're right about the learning proccess though, I know i can benefit from it, i already learned some new stuff. The thing is, i have done so many WP projects by now, and learned so much, that i'm dying to start my own thing already. And it feels like this project is not taking me towards this step since most of my free time on weekends is dedicated to it, instead of focusing on my own thing. That's the main reason i regret taking it... i just keep postponing working on my own stuff by working for others.

Thanks Darren ;-)