Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Transfer Wordpress to a new hosting account instructions

Default Transfer Wordpress to a new hosting account instructions

Have you ever tried to move a wordpress or blog site.

I recently converted over a blogspot to a custom wordpress site and the import went quite simple.

I just picked up another hosting account with Cpanel and features to make Wordpress perform better than typical shared 4G hosting at Godaddy. Now I have to move these Wordpress sites to a new server entirely. I just finished my second one successfully and found some of the directions just a little lacking and wrote my self a tutorial that takes it step by step.

Although not relevant to everyone, I hope the person that needs this information and finds this post makes it worth it.

Transfer Wordpress to another Host

From Your existing account
    Download the Wordpress files on to office computer
    Backup database in existing file and record its name
    Download the Database.SQL file and confirm its name (do not use Firefox)
    +Hosting>File Manager>_db_backups>select it>Download

To your new account
    Add Domain Name to Add-on Domains
    Login with FIleZilla
    +public_html>folder for website and upload all Wordpress files

Connect the Files
    +Cpanel>New Database (use old database name)>Create Database thenů
    Add new User unique information> Create New User then
    Add User to Database >Select User>Select Database

Clean Up phpMyAdmin
    +Cpanel>myPHPMyAdmin
    Select database>Select Import>Choose File to Import>Go

Clean Up Links
    +Cpanel>File Manager(in green at the top)>Double Click Website Folder>Select wp-config.php>edit
    In Text editor click Edit
    4 points to check (Name of database and username should match if you did not change it from the first server and you named this database the same thing.)
    Update database password
    Update hostname to localhost (one word all small letters)
    define('DB_HOST', 'pro9208265901.db.9208265601.hostedresource.com'); becomes...
    define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');
    >Save Changes

Remember to change the IP address on the domain name to point to your new hosting IP address where your domain name is registered

AND IT IS THAT SIMPLE!
    Like Bill at Facebook and Twitter.

and now Bill's Blog.

There is also the WordPress Duplicator plugin which takes a snapshot of your entire database and creates a package which can be easily used for a new WP installation. The Duplicator plugin is really a poor man's BackUpBuddy but it does work well.

I use Instant WordPress to build my sites, then I transfer my Duplicator installations via ftp.

I am in the process of changing blogger to WordPress and the biggest issue is going to be individually redirecting old blogger posts to new WordPress posts. What complicates matters is the fact I am splitting the blogger blog into two new blogs.

I really need a .htaccess file for Blogger to do this, so I have a lot of work planned out for tomorrow.

Wordpress has a really col built in Blogger transfer set up. It may be easier to use that and just batch delete the ones you do not want to keep.

Duplicator sound pretty good, but now that I got comfortable inside the system it goes pretty quick. But for those that want to drive the cat and not go under the hood, that may be an option.

I did have really good support at Godaddy getting the first wordpress moved. I have about a dozen more and thus the reason to write a tutorial that made sense. I searched online and lets say results were lacking.
    Like Bill at Facebook and Twitter.

and now Bill's Blog.

Yep, I've seen the various transfer plugins for Blogger WordPress. I've decided I'm going to do this manually and start fresh from scratch with rewritten content.

In order to get .htaccess file for blogger (to perform the 301's) I'm going to need to turn that site into a WordPress site and then ftp the htaccess file into the root folder of the server. This htaccess file will contain the directs for both the new blogs.

Great tutorial Bill. And Darren I've never heard of Wordpress Duplicator. So great to know.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Great tutorial Bill. And Darren I've never heard of Wordpress Duplicator. So great to know.
    If you have Seamus Brady's Instant WP Unleashed eBook, he mentions it and shows you how to use it. The WP Duplicator is one of only a handful of free plugins I recommend.