Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are my URLs not showing up in Google?

Default Why are my URLs not showing up in Google?

Hey everyone.

I've been noticing lately that some of my URLs are not showing up in Google. By this I mean that the article position is in google BUT the url itself is replaced with something else.

For example, if I would type in a certain keyword, and look for a page on my website, the green URL of my site would appear like this:

www.mysite.com > uncategorized

It would show up as this even though that page is NOT uncategorized and is in fact in a category.

Oddly enough, if I were to type in a different version of the keyword, the exact same page would appear and the URL would be the same BUT it would be located in the correct category.

Does anyone know why Google shortens my links like this? Does this affect my SERs? How do I fix this?

I BELIEVE all of my competitors for my particular niche site are getting ranked higher because they have keywords in their URL, while Google is ignoring my URL altogether and putting it in this format. Their pages do not have as much content as mine - some are even a lot younger than my site, and yet they are ranking higher.

I have a Facebook page with 100+ likes and a Youtube channel linking to my site, and these new blogger sites are ranking on the first page for two sentences and being a couple months old?? And here I am stuck on the 5th page...

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

expertspages review short url.png

Thanks. I'm just a little bit frustrated as to why this is happening, lol.
    Last edited by Jay; 03-12-2014 at 01:14 AM.

I was having almost the same problem, for example i have submitted my website on a directory or on a forum but when i was checking my own backlinks, those links were not coming up.

Jay, do you believe that backlinks are a good SEO tacktick? If so. you should add twitter stumbleupon and delicious to your backlink portfolio as well as related niche sites. Google is constantly changing and you should not just rely on google for organic ranking. I have learned that it takes some good coding and constant sitemap updates for google the keep crawling my pages, while bing, yandex, yahoo,facebook, pinterest, stumble, and other webmaster robots will crawl more often without resubmissions. The more i learn about SEO. the more i realise that it takes a lot of work if you don't already have an audience that returns to your site constantly. Google in my opinion, ignores your keywords. This is just how i feel about it. Google value returning visitors and interaction visitors, therefore it helps to have a committed audience on google platforms. Otherwise you need perfect google optimization. With tag, site structure, sitemap regular submissions, Keyword density at optimal places in articles, pages, images, and believe it or not ads. Thou Google policy claims that your ads don't guarantee higher rank. Ads create backlinks and tracks better in Google platforms. because it is Google coding. Check your competitor's backlinks. you might find that they have hundreds of backlinks and they are related to advertisement.

I'll take your advice! Thanks. I think Twitter and Stumbleupon may be good, and perhaps even Pinterest.

But I'm still confused as to why my "competition" is beating me. I really don't want to resort to blackhat/greyhat methods.

? maybe they are. If so. the will get caught soon enough. be careful you don't get caught up. But i don't know your skills so good luck with that.

Hey Ja, Just curious what is the Keyword that you are competing for?

Ahh, I'm keeping my keywords a secret for now, sorry lol. I don't want anyone coming to this thread and snatching up the keywords I researched.

And thanks I'll be sure to be careful

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I'll take your advice! Thanks. I think Twitter and Stumbleupon may be good, and perhaps even Pinterest.

But I'm still confused as to why my "competition" is beating me. I really don't want to resort to blackhat/greyhat methods.
    The truth of the matter is black hat linking still works. I see it in my niche all the time, Glen Allsopp is always doing reports on this and that could be what's working for your competition. Sure it may work, but for how long? And most of those people are ONLY relying on Google so if they get caught, then what? It's just not worth it.

Now as far as why your site is showing up that way, I've always read that Google displays what they think is the most relevant with regards to the description, URL, etc. But with all the bugs going on lately, who knows, could be something else. Although I'm not exactly sure I understand what you're seeing. Can you give us a search query to check or at least show a screenshot? If you don't want to reveal your keywords that's understandable too. Just trying to make sense of it.

Hmmm... well, for some reason I'm not even in the first 10 pages for some of my keywords today. That's strange since yesterday I was on page 5. Now nothing?

Odd thing is my traffic is still increasing so I'm not sure if it's just something wrong on my end.

I also found out that I didn't have a sitemap set up for any of my niche sites including SCG. Would this make a big difference in search engine rankings? I just created a sitemap and submitted it in the Google webmaster tol.

[EDIT] Ok wow. Now I checked again and my URLs changed and I'm on page 4 for my site candycrushgametactics.com for the term "how to beat level 100 on candy crush saga" (one of the keywords, not the main keyword, I'm competing for. I figure I can let that one go :P)

I seriously feel like I'm chasing the wind with this.
    Last edited by Jay; 03-12-2014 at 10:52 PM.

most forum share the same no spam policies as this forum. Many forums donot allow links until a certain amount of interact/post. Google is seeming to depreciate those backlinks, because they can be web owner actions. I heard that Google Algo now crawls user interaction more than backlinks.Sites get first pick based on traffic. i think that is dumb. This is hearsay so take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by yocafe; 03-13-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwistech View Post
    I was having almost the same problem, for example i have submitted my website on a directory or on a forum but when i was checking my own backlinks, those links were not coming up.
    Depending on how new your site is. Some directories take from 24 hour to 45 days to fully register a site completely. When ever you do a url submission, make sure you read that directory policy to understand what the time frame for back links will be. Some directories require some kind of code to be paste into your site page and get verified before they show backlinks. Even with that, it takes some time to start indexing your sitemap. Make sure the robot text is configured correctly for your pages some directories require weekly resubmissions as well.

Very well articulated Lisa you have put it well. I must also add that sometimes a site set a high pay range for a certain keyword in an adwords campaign and pays more for a certain keyword. They optimise specifically for that/those keywords evidently outranking other sites.
    And totally i Agree with Lisa that some site use black hat coding. Those sites are usually the one that you visit 3 months later and they are not there. They are either blacklisted by Google or just completely blocked from search engines. That was why i warned to stay away from that if you are committed to your site name and content. Jay, your survey site looks good, by the way.
    Last edited by yocafe; 03-13-2014 at 01:30 PM.

The keyword Expert, Review, Expertpages are popular keywords. If you are trying to rank for those. You have a lot of competition my friend. Also i would you some related post for the Disqus Api on your page. That help with internal linking.

Oh that was just an example that I could find, lol. I'm not trying to rank for those words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post

For example, if I would type in a certain keyword, and look for a page on my website, the green URL of my site would appear like this:

www.mysite.com > uncategorized

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

expertspages review short url.png

Thanks. I'm just a little bit frustrated as to why this is happening, lol.
    What you are talking about are breadcrumb rich snippets. Google believes your page has a set of breadcrumb links on it and is duplicating them in the results.

This implies you have something like a home pages linked followed by one saying uncategorized.

Some websites specifically wrap their breadcrumbs in semantic markup to indicate they are actually breadcrumb links.

Here's Google's guide to it all:

https://support.google.com/webmaster...r/185417?hl=en

It has no effect on ranking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast