Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: What's Your Best Website Investment?

Question What's Your Best Website Investment?

Every now and then someone will post a thread like "If you had $500 to spend on your website, what would you spend it on? A lot of people lean toward or wonder about paid traffic and I am not usually for that unless you know for sure it's targeted and you have a plan for a return on your investment.

Anyway, I was at a meetup not long ago and a guy who just started his site last year said he wasted a lot of money on paid traffic and SEO help that was virtually useless, but said his best investment was paying a local consultant to help him setup his social media strategy.

He said when he started he tried Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Facebook and Google Plus and never really got much traction from any of them. So he made a conscious decision to stop focusing on all of them except Google Plus since it was the most relevant for his technology niche site. Now he drives more traffic from Google Plus than the other social sites combined and his income had doubled in the past month.

I wish I could remember his site. I talk to so many people at these darn things and I always forget to get cards, etc. He would be a great person to interview.

So that leads me to the question, what has been your best website investment? For me I'd have to say anything related to video.

Aweber
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Good one James. And ironically an email list is often the last thing people invest in.

Speaking of interviews. Have you done that before? Can't remember seeing any in the YouTube Channel.... unless it has just been on your blog?

LongTailPro Platinum. This thing has helped me with so much niche finding. I use this tool for my new gaming niche sites I create.

My best investment is time.

Time because:

*I've learned so much since I started with websites years ago
    *I've made mistakes along the way and choose to learn from them
    *I've connected with people and still do, which helps me grow
    *I've spent money on so many things I did and didn't need
    *I know I'll never stop growing, learning and moving forward if I don't give up and keep experimenting with what works and doesn't work for me

As far as actual money goes for my site: Aweber.

There are many tools I've paid for that extremely help me and make things so much easier to do than if I didn't have them but in the end, should everything come to a halt, my loyal email subscribers are there and I can always go back to that.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    Speaking of interviews. Have you done that before? Can't remember seeing any in the YouTube Channel.... unless it has just been on your blog?
    I do them from time to time but not often. To be honest, it's not my favorite thing to do. Not sure why. No doubt it's helpful for exposure but I'd rather do the interviewing than be interviewed. My last one was with Cynthia from OhSoPinteresting, but it was a podcast interview.

http://www.ohsopinteresting.com/how-...p-episode-035/

When you say investment do you mean cash or time?

Either way, I would have to say creating videos has been a real help, and is something i would be prepared to invest cash into.

Generally speaking, I want to concur with bluepop13 and say that time has been my greatest investment. I am shocked at what I have done over the last 12 months. It feels like years. Time is the greatest investment for anything I think. I love growing and learning too. It is the secret to happiness. It's the journey not the destination. I'm getting philosophical again. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    I do them from time to time but not often. To be honest, it's not my favorite thing to do. Not sure why. No doubt it's helpful for exposure but I'd rather do the interviewing than be interviewed. My last one was with Cynthia from OhSoPinteresting, but it was a podcast interview.

http://www.ohsopinteresting.com/how-...p-episode-035/
    Have you considered doing a podcast recording or interview at one of your meet ups? I was chatting to someone recently and they urged me to get into public speaking and podcasting! The thought of doing that makes me clam up, I am the type prone to stage fright. If it was low key, personal and informal I would be up for it. Sometimes, you can not shut me up.

Darren: I was chatting to someone recently and they urged me to get into public speaking and podcasting! The thought of doing that makes me clam up, I am the type prone to stage fright. If it was low key, personal and informal I would be up for it.
    Darren, you write clearly and positively in a way that indicates to me you could do well as a speaker. Let me encourage you to look into it.

First, the truth is that speaking to a group is no different than speaking to one or two people when you have the right mindset. I always looked at people one at a time and thought to myself that I was speaking to them personally. I felt that way and people responded that way. I can't number the times people told me they felt as if I was speaking directly to them alone. If you can speak to one, or write to them in mass as you do here, you can speak to them equally as well.

Second, let me assure you that once you know the secret to composure you will do well without being nervous. I know you will hear people say things like, "You should be nervous. If you are not there is something wrong with you." Their problem is that they have not learned themselves the secret.

What makes people nervous is not fear of speaking. It is fear of messing up in from of people. Once you realize this, all you have to do is know that you are prepared and have notes at least in your pocket so you can be sure of having something to say.

Think about it. You have heard people who had almost no speaking skills but kept you enthralled with their presentation because you so appreciated with what they had to say. You know you have the ability to speak clearly in good sentences and you can determine ahead of time that you have valuable content. Keep that in mind and after two or three speaking situations you will be raring to go. Unless you make the serious mistake of going somewhere unprepared. Then you will be nervous and deservedly so.

Have fun! Determine to have fun and enjoy it if you do go into this area. It can help you financially as well, but like all your other work you should want to do it. I have spoken to groups of all sizes and enjoyed it all. Unfortunately my work for the last many years demands my close attention because of caring for people with medically fragile conditions so I have not had that option for a while although I anticipate that I may be able to do some some soon. It has this benefit over your web work: online you may or may not get feedback at some time but in person you always get positive (for the most part) feedback immediately.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    When you say investment do you mean cash or time?

Either way, I would have to say creating videos has been a real help, and is something i would be prepared to invest cash into.

Generally speaking, I want to concur with bluepop13 and say that time has been my greatest investment. I am shocked at what I have done over the last 12 months. It feels like years. Time is the greatest investment for anything I think. I love growing and learning too. It is the secret to happiness. It's the journey not the destination. I'm getting philosophical again. LOL
    I meant income but yes, time is a very valid answer too!

I have considered podcasting. Not for the meetups in particular but podcasting in general. The one thing that always stumps me is what angle to take so I end up putting it off. Never thought about the meetups though! Hmmm..... But if I did start I would want to make sure I commit to it. I have a bad habit of starting something and then not finishing/committing so I need to stay focused on my big projects right now.

Yeah I'm not one for public speaking either. I can talk all day on YouTube or do a podcast but I really hate public speaking. What's funny is when I do end up doing it, I do just fine but the anticipation is always worse than the actual event itself!

But James you are right about the preparation piece and where the fear really lies.

whoa guys you give me a lot of information,I really thankful to all of you.

Wow, thanks James, I always find your posts encouraging

I guess I need to learn my trade better and be armed with the knowledge. I am a pretty good talker when I'm passionate about something, ut there's something about large groups that I usually find off putting. It probably has a lot to do with experiences in school. My grandmother keeps telling me I should go into politics, but in that arena I find people are just all talk and nothing else. I would hate that environment, and being the best speaker in the world wouldn't compel me to get involved in "politics".

Lisa, I am talking to my clients about podcasting, but we want it to be a visual screen share thing that can be published to YouTube. All the best bits of podcast and video together. I want the audience to feel as though they're eavesdropping on a consulting session. I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

Regarding anticipation of public speaking - yeah I relate to that. the build up to anything like that is the worst bit. When I was at uni, the lecturers kept trying to make me stand up in front of the class during lectures and seminars but it made me incredibly nervous. I didn't like being thought of as teacher's pet. I could see that the course lecturers were trying to get me to open up and share ideas but what they were trying to do wasn't something I was comfortable with.