How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Something I Find Frustrating

Default Something I Find Frustrating

I don't want to bash any websites, so I wont' mention any names. Did a few posts somewhere on the net (I don't spend a whole lot of time backlinking on other websites, but sometimes its needed), and I revisited an old website I used to attend frequently when I was a kid. I know it is one of the largest of its kind and probably nets about at least a million a year off of ads alone. You can tell when a site is not really attended. Though the site has tremendous juice, I can't believe the owners don't really attend it! I know they pay for ads because since I have been returning, I have seen their ads on other websites.

This means I can do an intense, well thought out article on my own website, and get little action to zero for a particular topic. But if I write a few sentences on their forum about junk, I will show up in search in about an hour for competitive keywords competing with relevant websites.

It sorta bugs me that some sites just have this sort of juice and they could care less about it. The site is over run with spam and bots and people abusing the forum and there is no moderation. You guys bust your behinds trying to stay or become relevant. Is that fair?

I must say that at one time it was one of the most popular sites I knew of on the internet and one of my favorite websites (They have been around almost since the beginning). But now, it's completely garbage! I still provided good content their because I don't want junk associated with any of my websites. But I just can't understand the thinking from a business perspective. Other than trying to grow it, the owners are vacationing on a tropical island while the site continues to pull in revenue. Must be nice, but still frustrating, nevertheless, for people like us. What do you guys think about this?
    Fashion People Plus Size Women

Stopping a Foreclosure
    You Are Capable, Competent, Creative, Careful. Prove IT!!!

When you say not attended. Are you referring to a lack of moderation on the forum? And too many spam-bots?

Or, are we talking about zero development in the forum. For example its still running off forum code from 10 years ago?

LOL... both! I don't think I ever remember them changing their design. Not sure if their code is up to date or not, but no problems with functionality.

No moderation on the forum really other than automatic detection which doesn't stop a motivated spammer. And they have an abundance. I don't expect anyone to respond to any of my posts because soon all they will see is spam. But people do respond to older posts. The spam is why I believe people don't interact on the forum. Yet and still, the site could have awesome potential.

Stopping a Foreclosure

Learn from what they are doing wrong and create something better.

I have seen active forums split quite a few times before and the newcomer ends up becoming more successful than its predecessor. Of course you have to convince people to dump the original forum and switch over to yours. Private Message can help.

Then the people that make the initial switch start convincing others to make the switch too.

Sometimes a good way to get people to jump ship, is to find a couple of the good-eggs that are influential, respected and very active, and make them moderators on your forum.
    Last edited by STB; 03-05-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Default Good point

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    Learn from what they are doing wrong and create something better.

I have seen active forums split quite a few times before and the newcomer ends up becoming more successful than its predecessor. Of course you have to convince people to dump the original forum and switch over to yours. Private Message can help.

Then the people that make the initial switch start convincing others to make the switch too.

Sometimes a good way to get people to jump ship, is to find a couple of the good-eggs that are influential, respected and very active, and make them moderators on your forum.
    I agree with that. But it took them over a decade to be where they are now. I can only imagine they have other websites and care least about that particular one. Still, too big to try and compete with. i'd be happy to get a fraction of their traffic.. lol

Stopping a Foreclosure

I think we are all aware of the situation and it is a challenge for everyone. It is also one of the more frustrating problems for newbies who do not know who to trust. It was several years ago now, but I know when I first started the most popular tutorials on html were really outdated and I spent days learning how to do layout with tables, etc., only to find I had wasted my time (and some money as well).

There is one "guru" today who has a similar ebook to Lisa's top notch Niche Website Success. That lady still earns big time and she remains famous (almost everyone here would recognize her name). She was one of the first on the scene, however, and is well established.

Her book sells for several times what Lisa's does. Her current work is pretty good but her book that is at the heart of her project is extremely outdated, by many years, and has never been updated the last time I looked. It is sad and I feel sorry for the folks that buy it. But unfortunately that is the way it is.

You know that in time they will be gone and others will replace them, but once established it is sometimes slow. Gossip about celebrities spreads in moments, however, and perhaps soon that will be the way it is with our field.
    Last edited by James; 03-06-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Good Success!

"If your content doesn’t drive activity or conversations, don’t expect it to drive links." —Tom Schmitz, Search Engine Land