How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Wordpress for education. Brainstorming needed :-)

Default Wordpress for education. Brainstorming needed :-)

Hi everyone,

in about one month i'm going to speak about Wordpress for 90 minutes to a group of about 30 people. They are all educators, working in colleges, and in charge for ICT teaching and implementing new technologies in education.
    So, those people are all about E-learning.
    I was asked to present "something", and i chose WP as most of them barely ever touched (or heard) about it.

Now, i'm thinking what i should do with them. I want it to be an interactive lecture and i have some ideas. I'd love to read your opinions and/or hear other ideas if you have something else in mind :-)

Here is what i came up with (i'll choose just one of them of course):
    1. Talk about the abilities of WP as cms, create users for everyone/let them register and let them play with it (it's good for newbies but not really related to education...)
    2. Talk about turning WP into an LMS (learning management system) and show them an example of how to create an online course with the help of some plugins
    3. Talk about WP as CMS in education and show them how to create a website for a niche school subject (and use WPMU to let everyone open their own website!)
    4. Blend between the 3 somehow, but i'm not sure if i'll have enough time.

Which one did you like the most? Do you have another idea?

Thanks,
    Maya.

Since they are all educators I would start off by showing exactly how they can use WordPress to teach. Maybe install a few plugins that are relevant and show them how it works. Then you can finish up the presentation by showing how to actually edit the content/site.

The reason I say go in that order is you want to grab their attention by showing what is possible first. You may lose them if you just start with how to use WordPress in the beginning. I think they will be more open to learning how to use the program once they see what is all possible.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

One month is (more than) enough time to do some in-depth research, at your own pace.

USE THIS TO RESEARCH

Lisa has some excellent points above.

Quote Originally Posted by emvy548 View Post
    So evil......