Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to Monetize???

Default When to Monetize???

Ok my apologies if this has already been asked and answered. My question is when do you start monetizing your website? I already have tons of monetization ideas but I don't know when exactly to start implementing them. Do I need 100 posts or articles on my site before I monetize? Or do I need 2,000 visitors a day before I monetize? Or can you start trying to monetize immediately? Is there a rule of thumb? Thank you.

It depends on what you mean by monetize. If you're thinking of Ad programs like Google Adsense, I personally wouldn't add anything until 200 views a day at least. I know John Chow recommends building a list and not having any ads until your site is at least 6 months old.

If you are doing linking to affiliate products via contextual links then you can monetize that way earlier, as long as it's relevant to your content.

But in the end it's all up to you and your niche. Whatever feels right for you. Just remember that in the beginning, building up your audience and content should be your primary focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    It depends on what you mean by monetize. If you're thinking of Ad programs like Google Adsense, I personally wouldn't add anything until 200 views a day at least. I know John Chow recommends building a list and not having any ads until your site is at least 6 months old.

If you are doing linking to affiliate products via contextual links then you can monetize that way earlier, as long as it's relevant to your content.

But in the end it's all up to you and your niche. Whatever feels right for you. Just remember that in the beginning, building up your audience and content should be your primary focus.
    Yes, I was thinking of affiliate marketing as my first monetization model, and ad programs later. Thanks for your input Jay.

I know John Chow recommends building a list and not having any ads until your site is at least 6 months old.
    John Chow is right when he says not to put Adsense on your blog in the early days. You're losing visitors because they are clicking ads and leaving your site. If you're only getting pennies for the ad click it is ridiculous to allow site visitors to use your site as a stepping stone to another site.

And with AdSense specifically, some people have gone as far to say that it can hurt your search engine ranking efforts in the early days. I have no proof of that obviously but it kind of makes sense. And like Darren said, you aren't going to make much with it if your traffic is low anyway so why bother.

Having said that, I don't think there's anything wrong with adding an affiliate link here or there. Just understand the conversions will be low until you have traffic.

With the affiliate links I always recommend targeting a new window or tab, so you don't lose the visitor. It keeps your content open.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    With the affiliate links I always recommend targeting a new window or tab, so you don't lose the visitor. It keeps your content open.
    I hate that! I think it's as intrusive as those alert boxes that stop you when you try to close a page. Don't underestimate your user's intelligence. If they like your site, they'll open in a new tab manually or use the Back button.

This article has more on the topic: http://css-tricks.com/use-target_blank/

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I hate that! I think it's as intrusive as those alert boxes that stop you when you try to close a page. Don't underestimate your user's intelligence. If they like your site, they'll open in a new tab manually or use the Back button.

I'd disagree. I am very technically savvy and I find it more annoying when an external link navigates me away from the original site. That equals more mouse clicks to me and more of my time.

But this is an argument that won't be settled in this forum. Some people like it. Some don't. And that will never change. Just like an Apple versus Android argument will never be won here. Or, Chrome versus Firefox.

I only ever use it on affiliate links. But there is an argument that using an target="_blank" or a document is always acceptable because of download times of large PDFs, Word documents, etc.
    Last edited by STB; 03-06-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

I think it depends on what you use it for. For example, I always use "_blank" when the link is in the middle of a very long guide. On a guide on my website I use "_blank" on all the links except the ones that are toward the bottom.

When I'm reading something and there's something like "Related: 10 reasons why you shouldn't drink Coffee!", I'd rather it open a new tab than have it go in the same window.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    Yeah, target="blank" should be taught to kids as young as 5

I think it depends on what you use it for. For example, I always use "_blank" when the link is in the middle of a very long guide. On a guide on my website I use "_blank" on all the links except the ones that are toward the bottom.

When I'm reading something and there's something like "Related: 10 reasons why you shouldn't drink Coffee!", I'd rather it open a new tab than have it go in the same window.
    Yeah it's common sense to do that, and so easy to add the code in HTML mode of your post/page

Who's this John Chow guy I've reading about all day?

MY rule of thumb. First of all this is all great advise, and I'm not sure if I'd be repeating anything great already said. For me, in my experiance, this can have a trick answer. For example if your affiliate marketing, your first view could be your first sale ya know? anomolies do happen. But eventually if you want a turn key website monetization is something thats best to plan for in the beginning.

I've seen the most reliable success when you develope a strategy then execute it. This works very well because you change the game plan from a reactive to a pro-active state, which is a plus for any business plan. It also helps to think of your website as a business plan.

So what I usually do, is monetize along with content. I focus on all three, content, traffic, money in that order of priority. (in my opinion obviously) at the same time.

John Chow was probably one of the first BIG "make money online" bloggers. I believe he used to make a lot of money on PPC (7 figures) but I don't know if he still does. I used to follow his advice years ago but haven't really kept up with his blog as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    John Chow was probably one of the first BIG "make money online" bloggers. I believe he used to make a lot of money on PPC (7 figures) but I don't know if he still does.
    He still very much does, and you can see his picture at no. 9 in the image below:

Top 25 Performance Marketing Influencers of 2014

I used to follow his advice years ago but haven't really kept up with his blog as of late.
    Believe me you did not miss out much. In fact, maybe it is good that you did not.

When to monetize is different for everyone and every blog, and everyone will have a different opinion.

I started to (try to) monetize right from the get go. I didn't want to get good group of readers and then surprise them with ads and stuff. I decided to start in the beginning so the expectation was set that there were going to be some monetization and I also disclose anytime I am an affiliate partner.

It also gave me some tips to figure out what ad networks I wanted to part of, and how I wanted to do ads. I could figure out a good style and balance with the ads, and not many people would notice. For my niche though, there's some promotions and products that I like that I would probably share even if I wasn't an affiliate partner.

I think I made .10 in the first six months, so don't be surprised if you don't make anything. However, some affiliate networks that I partnered with from Day 1, I started to make decent money after a year. So just because the partnership doesn't work at first, it may just be the lack of traffic.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast