Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Think of Sliders on Websites?

Default What Do You Think of Sliders on Websites?

Interesting post over on the Yoast site. https://yoast.com/opinion-on-sliders/

I'm personally not a huge fan of sliders and I never use them on other people's sites so I guess that's what skews my feelings. I think they *can* be useful if used in the right way but at the same time I agree with a lot of the points in the article.

What do you guys think of sliders on websites? Do you use them? Do you have them on yours?

I honestly hate them. They're time consuming and there's often an advertisement placed in the middle of it. Yahoo does this all the time and it's annoying!

I used them on one site but only because I want to quickly display a few key pieces of content themes that are important for pulling someone into the sales funnel..

To balance any confusion arising from the sliders I compensated with a very clear/logical navigation. Once they are in the funnel they don't see the page with the sliders again. I admit banners can be clumsy and may slow down a site, but if you just use a couple and use them with a strategy I think it can work.

If I go on a commercial blog that displays ads and they have sliders, I would ignore them, but that is because blogs often have too much going on at once.

If you don’t know what to choose, how should your visitors or clients? You should know what your own business is about and what product or picture deserves that front page “shine”. By showing that, you will give people a far better feel of your business, and you as a person, than a slider ever could. Not in the least because sliders, as I’ve said twice now, are simply ignored.
    If you have some important message you want to get across you can always create an embedded YouTube video and if people want to see visual content that resembles slider functionality they will choose to watch. It's a good pretext to set up a funnel on YouTube too. I had to talk a client out of a set of sliders because of what it will do to people who are viewing the site o na mobile phone. Imagine loading 15 .PNG images that were originally 1000px X 460px - they simply get resized but the file size stays the same. Terrible for the limited processing power of phones/tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I honestly hate them. They're time consuming and there's often an advertisement placed in the middle of it. Yahoo does this all the time and it's annoying!
    Well that makes Google very different from Yahoo

There is no luck except where there is discipline | 12BET
    - Irish Proverb

I do not prefer to go with the slider, because this will increase website load timing and it is also not working on smartphones and tablets.

I must be one of the 1% that actually go through the slides.

I don't have them on my site though. I didn't like how the Twenty Fourteen Theme managed the slider content.

Anything that moves on a website whether it is a slider, an animated banner, moving (product) image, moving text in a horizontal bar or even a pop up(including the sneaky one at the bottom right hand corner of the Yoast website)...works!

It depends on what you have on your website in terms of content, who you are and what you are offering that makes the visitor like it or not. Everyone says that he or she hates pop ups especially exit pop ups, but guess what - they work. Isn't an animated banner irritating on any website...BUT all of them work well because when a visitor sees what is on offer he forgets that he dislikes animated banners.

Media Buying marketers thrive on animated banners; even the big news sites use them. I don't think there is anyone who misses a horizontal bar/ clicks on it when it is on a reputed person's site. Some of the Amazon Associates depend on sliders for their incremental sales and moving product images have worked wonders with high conversions. Sliders have the power of attracting the immediate attention of visitors as soon as they land on a site in addition to making the site look attractive.

The only type of sites where any of them will be a serious interruption is on pure Adsense sites especially those which have high CPC keywords waiting to be clicked...

I think there are much more effective ways to present useful content than sliders, even though I've used them so much in the past.

A clear call to action button or form with compelling description text converts better than a slider. Most persons do not stop to see all slides.

I guess sliders' relevance depend on what you want to accomplish and what readers expect from a particular web page. If they're scanning photos, then it works, but if you want the reader to act on something or subscribe, then the slider won't be as effective.

Im not a fan of sliders for one simple reason:
    They usually take forever to load!

Most WordPress sites that use sliders come with a huge bloated plugin like revolution slider. While sliders might look nice they will do more harm than good when it comes to SEO. That being said I am a fan of large hero sections above the fold. A great optimized image with a clear call to action can really help boost conversions compared to plain text.

Ouch a lot of slider haters!

I actually use one on my website. I've never experienced them to be negative. I like them because you feature stuff without have to scroll down the page to view a lot of images down the page. I only put a few images in mine to promote a few things.

Sometimes when I go to someone's website, I wish the had a slider I could look through...I guess I am a rare exception *shrugs*

To be honest, I'm actually surprised to see so many people say they don't like them too. I guess because it seems like every other website has them now so I thought they would be more well received here when I posted this. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    To be honest, I'm actually surprised to see so many people say they don't like them too. I guess because it seems like every other website has them now so I thought they would be more well received here when I posted this. Interesting.
    Yes, I would have thought people like them...but I guess not lol. Oh well, I've never received any complaints and my slider isn't obtrusive. You just can't please everyone I guess....

I think a slider adding a bit of movement to a site is not a bad thing at all. In the film industry, when they have a "flat" scene they often use smoke or steam somewhere in the shot to breathe life into the scene. Okay, a far fetched comparison, I admit but do you see where I'm coming from? With the right finesse, and done tastefully, this sense of movement can add a little something extra to a site.

I don't believe in adding sliders for the sake of it, and you DO need to be aware of all the extra loading time you are adding to the site. Also, will a smaller mobile device be able to handle the functionality well?

I have had clients making slightly ridiculous requests for sliders and I always move them onto YouTube instead. There Re other benefits to that too, obviously. Also, the website visitor gets to choose if they want to see a long animated sequence by either clicking "play" or not.

I don't like slider much because it increases load time of website. So No for Slider

I have a slider on my home page. I like it and it works fine on an iTouch as well as iMac. My cache program speeds loading. Except for limited test I really don't know how well this site appears for the rest of the universe.

(Had some serious med problems so I was not maintaining the Android site. Just getting back to thinking about it, but the slider kept sliding away.)
    WeighyChoice: Sustainable Weight Loss

AndroidEveryday: Android Tablet Accessories and Apps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast