Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: A few questions... (finding a niche, website structure)

Default A few questions... (finding a niche, website structure)

I have two problems...

1) I am struggling to find a niche that I could write about for days, I have came up with a few but they are already heavily saturated.

- Football (soccer for some of you): I go the the football every weekend and could talk about it a lot, whether it's my team, other teams or general chat.

- Weight loss: I have always been interested in this as I was a heavyset kid, now I've learned the ways of staying fit and healthy and could talk about this a lot.

- Becoming an actor: I have recently took the long journey to try and become an actor and I would like to help others in the same situation and share my experiences with them.

I can't see a way of monetising these, and I've been brainstorming for days.. my mind is blank! I don't want to start a website on something I have no interest in, so a bit confused.

2) I'm wondering how I could get my site to be like WordPress, but with a normal navigation like a website. Like, wordpress is just a blog. I want to make a website with links etc but I need a content management system so that I can post updates and it will push older news down. How can I go about this?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Joe

My first recommendation is to find the audience you want to help FIRST, not an overlying topic. I think people go about help websites backwards and think of a topic first, write content about it, and hope that someone reads it.

So who can you help? What type of person would you be able to give advice to?

For example, let's look at your Weight Loss topic...

Weight Loss:
    - Are you helping elderly people? young people? Teenagers? Adults?
    - Was there a certain kind of health condition that made it hard for you to lose weight, and is this a relatively common condition?
    - What struggles did you go through, and is this type of struggle common?

For monetizing:
    - Were there any products that helped you lose weight?
    - Is your story unique, and can you create a helpful ebook about it to sell?
    - What was your exercise regime like (if you exercised), and are there any equipment that you can recommend (weights, jump ropes, exercise balls, etc.)

As for your second question...

What do you mean by "normal navigation like a website"? Navigation links at the top, you mean?

You can definitely run your Wordpress like a static website. That's what makes Wordpress so awesome My website is on the Wordpress platform, but I run it like a static website. I just moved my blog to another page. You can even get rid of the whole blog feature if you want.
    Last edited by Jay; 02-24-2014 at 03:00 PM.

that's very helpful Jay, as i have been having the same problem. I have a passion to help women over 30 go back to college, but I never thought about creating an ebook. There are so many roadblocks a working adult or a single mom, etc. has to overcome to get a degree, and i often hear people my age wistfully saying, "I wish i could afford to go back to school". or "i wish my brain could absorb knowledge like the young folks." and i want to get up on my soapbox and shout, "you CAN!" Just try and you'll see. Just do A, B and C.

Hi Jay, I'd probably be aiming it towards people the same age that I lost weight so the teenage years really. But then again I'm considering aiming it towards people my age, with a 9-5 job that don't have much time for the gym etc (In my job I move location a lot too so it isn't logical to sign up to a gym). No condition really, just general laziness as a child and too much eating! The struggles, yeah I could gather some of those. It just seems like this is a saturated market so I'm not too sure. There were some products that I could recommend actually yeah and some tricks that helped me lose weight, along with some recipies so that could help! And yeah, I wanted it to be like a blog, but also with navigation links to relative topics. Do I have to buy a domain through Wordpress then and get a theme which has nav links for me?

And hi Sonyacandice, that sounds like a great idea!

I would honestly go for the age where you started losing weight since that's where you're most experienced. You could choose your age group (I'm not sure how old you are - over 21 maybe?), but if you are already skinny and fit then you can't really know what other overweight people of your age group are going through.

You can share stories of you being big and people bullying you in high school (if you were bullied - seems like a pretty common theme), and then the struggles you had to go through as a teenager to lose that weight.

As an adult you don't have any stories to share, and the stories are what makes people feel connected to you and trust you.

Quote Originally Posted by sonyacandice View Post
    that's very helpful Jay, as i have been having the same problem. I have a passion to help women over 30 go back to college, but I never thought about creating an ebook. There are so many roadblocks a working adult or a single mom, etc. has to overcome to get a degree, and i often hear people my age wistfully saying, "I wish i could afford to go back to school". or "i wish my brain could absorb knowledge like the young folks." and i want to get up on my soapbox and shout, "you CAN!" Just try and you'll see. Just do A, B and C.
    That sounds like a fantastic topic, especially if you were in the very same situation. I'm not too sure what products you would sell - maybe find an affiliate program for cheap college textbooks. I know the textbooks at the college bookstore are always overpriced!
    Last edited by Jay; 02-25-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Do I have to buy a domain through Wordpress then and get a theme which has nav links for me?
    This is a little backwards. You buy a domain (actually register it which gives you rights to use it as long as you pay the annual fee) first. Then you choose your host, either the one you register it from or another.

WordPress is a free program which your host will help you install if you choose to use it (a good idea) ordinarily through what is called a "one click" install (although it is a little more complicated—you have to choose a username and password, for instance).
    Good Success!

Douglas County Master Gardeners
    "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
    Maya Angelou