Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Why I have chosen not to go with EIG Companies for hosting

Default Why I have chosen not to go with EIG Companies for hosting

I have done my research and read reviews and post on site likes webhostingtalk. In a nutshell, here is what one, knowledgable blogger writes about EIG and choosing the best hosting.

If you go to Google, and type in something like "best web hosts" or "top 10 web hosts," you'll likely end up with a list of affiliate splogs (spam blogs/sites). Those are sites that claim to rank hosts, but if you're knowledgeable in the field of web hosting, you know it's all fake. These splogger sites simply list the companies that pay the best commissions, and the top site is always the one with the highest payout. Many splogs go so far as to post fake glowing reviews. They don't really care about you, or the quality/integrity of their advice. Sploggers have no ethics. All they want are the affiliate dollars!

I find those sites vulgar and unethical. Affiliate-driven lists are a cancer on the Internet, and to communication in general. In fact, that's why the FTC has been more involved in blogging since 2009, to combat this nuisance.

Unfortunately, many of these top-paying hosts have
    Terrible customer support, Horrible uptime -- i.e. hours/days of downtime, long periods of slow access,
    And crappy servers that have been overstuffed with too many clients on a single box, to cut costs. (aka "overselling" or "oversellers")

Some hosts are owned by mega-hosts, too -- soul sucking billion-dollar corporations that mow over the whole industry, often firing the North American staff and outsourcing to India to further cut costs. Endurance International Group (EIG), for example, owns at least 55 hosts -- and many of these are listed on those "top host" lists because of their insane payouts (Bluehost, HostGator, iPower, Powweb, iPage, EasyCGI, Fatcow, JustHost, etc). Godaddy and 1&1 are other examples of large well-known hosts that have a terrible reputation for quality of service and tech support.

Unlike the fake sites, our rankings are based on server/network performance, tech support quality/knowledge/speed, and competitive pricing. These are the top hosting providers ranked by digitalFAQ.com in 2013. This list is maintained weekly, and always up to date. Our list of overall best hosts, in preference order...

Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...#ixzz2u4M1xCXC
    link to the article and his unbiased opinion about best host you can find are in the quote. he knows what he is talking about. On websitehosting.com. He average about 3.5 post a day for past 10 years on that site. He is a hosting topic guru.

Here is is webhostingtalk profile link: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=140035

And here is his article on EIG and how hostgator service and performance had gone way down since they got sold.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/editorials...es-eig-pt1.htm

I agree with some of his points. I like his term sploggers. There are people out their that will definitely just write fake reviews to try and get affiliate sales. And yes, the one with the best margin or commission will generally be more popular with the sploggers. And yes, this will saturate the Google search results. Although I am sure the Google algorithms will eventually catch up to those people.

I completely disagree with his views on GoDaddy.

First, I am unbiased here as I an NOT a GoDaddy Reseller, NOR, am I a GoDaddy affiliate.

My first experience with GoDaddy was purchasing SSL certificates for my customers. I do a lot of Microsoft Exchange consulting and that requires a lot of SSLs. The thing that drove me to GoDaddy was that their SSL certificates were so cheap. Then with some quick Googling for GoDaddy promo codes I could find further savings. But that being said I have customers that also use Thawte and VeriSign. Thawte and VeriSign are ridiculous more expensive on SSL certificate. To the point I actually consider it borderline extortion. So what do you get with that price? Well nothing. Every experience with customer service and technical support has been night and day. Both Thawte and VeriSign support was fairly mediocre. GoDaddy support blew them out of the water.

That being said I have never had a bad support experience from GoDaddy. The techs are always knowledgeable, they are fast to pick up and they are 24x7 (unlike Thawte and VeriSign). The only reason Thawte and VeriSign charged what they did, was because they were the first players on the block. Both of whom have sold their SSL certificate businesses in the last few years ---- I wonder why.....

That's capitalism. Not only beat your competitors price but do a better job, or, offer a better experience while doing it.

With all my great experience with their SSLs I then started using their web hosting. And it has been a great experience.

Great post, although I think it's unfair that he lumps some websites together with bad hosts. I have no experience with GoDaddy, FatCow, JustHost, etc. but I have been a regular user of iPage for almost 3 years now and I have to say their customer service is the best I've experienced. They're also knowledgeable and very helpful, and they usually reply to my emails with several hours. I never have to wait DAYS to get help.

I would honestly never run a top 10 list of best hosting sites UNLESS I've personally tried them all. I think it's unfair to recommend a host that you've never tried. That's why I'm going to stick with recommending iPage and Namecheap, and perhaps more if I sign up for any hosts in the future.

I think it really comes down to your own individual experience. I used Hostgator's dedicated hosting a few years ago but experienced terrible support and security issues after they got bought out.

But you see a lot of people here saying they love Hostgator and would never use anything else. Same with GoDaddy. Some people absolutely hate them and a lot of people don't like that they don't use cPanel. (That part I actually understand because I think cPanel is better.) But I personally have not had any problems with them other than that big outage they had last year that they claimed was not a hacker (not sure I believe that).

So at the end of the day, everyone has different experiences with hosting. But you guys are right. You have to take those top 10 listings with a grain of salt.

Yes, Hostgator was best prior to EIG acquisition. Their services were good and support quality was excellent. Things got changed when companies management was changed.